Reminded me of these here forums

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Quantum Edge, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/46...rassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

Just read an interesting article about the harassment of game developers by the fans of video games. One woman in particular who worked for Bioware has just quit her job because of graphic threats against her and her children.

I thought of these forums, and how many times I've seen the developers insulted, both professionally and personally, belittled and abused.

At the end of the day, these guys are just coming in to do a job, and to get a paycheque not to be bullied and abused.
    • Like x 10
  2. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Agreed. Also your sig has changed.... again!
  3. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Someone brought the mods attention to the size of my signature, so they yanked it.
  4. Deathmark New Player

Criticism is always fair game. Abuse and insult, never.
    • Like x 5
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I often wonder how a lot of people on this forum would react if their customers came into their place of work, went on the PA and announced how lazy and incompetent they were on a daily basis how they would feel about that.
    • Like x 1
  6. Breakforce Loyal Player

100% agreed.

And never, NEVER, bring someone's child into it. At that point, I honestly think its time to get the authorities involved.

I get that you have your panties all twisted up that something happened to your precious video game. But get a freaking life. If the worst thing that happens in my day is that a video game doesn't work, then all in all, that's not a bad day.
    • Like x 5
  7. Mont New Player

hate them PMs about ur sigs......... to big, against tos, blah blah lol
    • Like x 2
  8. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I had, not as extreme, but a similar situation. I manage a hotel, and of course my business card and my name are quite prominently on display in several places. One guy, not happy with his stay, looked me up, either in the phone book or on Google and started calling my home number repeatedly.

It's never fun when work follows you home.
    • Like x 1
  9. General Zod 10000 Post Club

What a holes. >.>
    • Like x 1
  10. Breakforce Loyal Player

That is harassment, plain and simple.
    • Like x 2
  11. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm very lucky to have supportive employers who paid for the lawyer to write the sufficiently scary cease and desist letter.
    • Like x 4
  12. Breakforce Loyal Player

Any company worth working for would do the same. If I felt my company would not have my back, I'd be out of here.

Some people think that just because they are paying you, that they are the king of the universe. Anyone that uses the phrase "the customer is always right" has never worked in a customer forward job. The customer is wrong about 95% of the time. You just have to have the correct tact to let them know that
    • Like x 5
  13. Notangie New Player

So can I complain that your sig has a dog, which I as a cat person find offensive? Good grief.
  14. Stardazer Committed Player

I remember reading about Jennifer Hepler a while ago. Actually, I was following her on twitter and it was heartbreaking to see the amount of hate she was receiving. It really angers me to see people bully someone else just because the game or service was not what they expected. It is completely rude, immature, and just plain pathetic.

Like you said, what some people fail to realize is that these are people working their butts off day and night. It is their job to try and create a game that will be well-liked and played. Developing and writing a game like DA2 is no easy feat, a lot of work went into that. If you have a problem with the game, voice your criticism so that it can be improved on in the next game, or whatever.

Whenever I see or hear someone resorting to bullying because they aren't happy with the game, all I can say is for them to get off their lazy *** and try developing a game themselves.
    • Like x 1
  15. Treat New Player

o_O
    Complaining in a thread the developers make to get feedback of the game: Fair game.
    Making life threats: Not fair game.
    Stalking developers outside of the forums on personal things like FB Twitter or what have you to get their personal information: You need mental help. Seriously.
    • Like x 2
  16. Mont New Player

u can, but as a a slave of a cat myself i would have to ask my cat to beat u up

cats rule, dogs drool
    cats have staff , dogs have owners
    • Like x 1
  17. Mont New Player

• Like x 1
  18. Breakforce Loyal Player

You make a good point. Gamers can be just as much of an ******* as cats
  19. Radium Devoted Player

Game Developers are public figures these days, they're out there for the most part promoting and talking about their products to the whole world. People who can issue threats to public figures while being completely anonymous are cowards in the truest sense.

The age of the internet has brought about the worst in a lot of people, everyone now has a voice and for the most part people will use their true voice to express their feelings on something. The people who use this voice to harass and issue threats to people do not have this same voice in the real world which is where the term "Keyboard Warrior" comes from.

If you can hide behind a screen and issue threats with no fear, you are not an adult. You are a child who has finally found a place where you can get those little hurt feels out.
    • Like x 3
  20. Yeah that Eddie Committed Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2