Christian Bale plays hard to get.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Has2besaid, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Has2besaid Committed Player

Sup friends,

So rumor has it the WB is eager to get Mr. Bale back in Black in time for the Superman v Batman movie. Rumor also has it that he's being offered around 50 million to do it. (this probably includes a percentage of the profits similar to what Downey got for Avengers).

So what's the problem? Well, Mr. Bale is said to either be choosing to abstain for fear of being typecast and shut out from Oscar worthy roles like he had in "The Fighter, or holding out to see just how many zeros can fit on an average size check.

Posts from other sites are split about this.

Some feel that he is Batman and that they should offer him whatever he wants. I wouldn't go that far. To me he's an okay Bruce Wayne, but nothing special as Batman; and the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing him return is because its too soon for a reboot. (I still refuse to watch amazing Spiderman, because...I just saw Toby do it in three films.) Indeed, if they brought a new guy in now it would be too jarring. Heck if they allowed the cop at the end of "Rises" to play him I'd barf, let alone some of the other names they are throwing around. The Lone Ranger guy...really...are the pickings really that slim.

Some feel that he was a lousy and dull Bruce Wayne and Batman and is only going to hurt the franchise since he's already disinclined to do it. Sorta like Bruce Willis in everything he's in nowadays, they feel Bale will dial it in no matter what size check he gets, feeling he's too good for this comic book kid stuff. These guys really make you appreciate Wolverine actor. Mr. Jackman knows who gave him his start, appreciates it, and makes himself available whenever they call.

Some feel that Bale is getting to old (39) and that if the WB uses him they will need him for 4 more movies (Supes v Bats, and the customary trilogy of Justice League movies). That means that at 1 move every three years (unless they shoot them all at once, which is not likely), Bale would be 51 during the last movie and thus unfit for the role. Bats and Supes have almost always been portrayed around he same age. Between 27 and 29.

Finally others feel that to using Bale would require that the Dark Knight Trilogy be dragged along with him to the Supes v Bats movie; and thatby doing so it would undo the "greatness" that was the ending of Nolans saga. I call foul on this one, because if you injected Supes v Bats between the second and third Dark Knight movies, continuity would be intact and it would help explain why Bruce was so jacked up in 'Rises". Lets face it; in the uber realistic Nolan verse, if Bats goes against Supes, he's gonna be messed up and need to spend a few years recovering afterward...if not dead. Hey, this Superman kills so it could happen.

Indeed, technically you could inject the entire Justice League trilogy before D.K. Rises as well, however, if you do this it gives credence to the 51 year old argument above. In short, Bruce would have wrinkles in JLA but look young in Rises.

So what do you think? Should they start fresh with a new Batman, or add a few more zeros to Mr. Bale's check? I vote add the zeros. I'm barely over Keaton no longer being Batman. I can't take another new face this soon.
  2. Mont New Player

hope not Bale sucked lol
    • Like x 1
  3. StillCheckmate Committed Player

This Superman kills????? Not watching Man of Steel anymore ... same reason why I didn't watch the new A-Team movie, these Hollywood people can't keep the characters in character.
  4. Jake New Player

Wished Man of Steel and The Dark Knight or Superman/Batman weren't doing a team up.

Was hoping to see what they could do with Supes, now he will just be in a shadow of Bats
  5. Meta Flare New Player

New batman please. That's all I have to say.
    • Like x 1
  6. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

The A-Team movie actually kept the characters the same as the TV show... Hannibal was the leader/planner, Face was a "ladies man", Murdock was a crazy pilot, and B.A. Baracus was BA. The story sticks with the plot of the show for the most part, updating the timeline to present... however it's not a great movie but worth a rental.

For continuity, Christian Bale should be used in the mentor role for whomever the new batman is. He could then play it old and gruff and finally ditch the Batman voice
  7. Meta Flare New Player

Terry McGinnis!!!!!!
  8. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Bale has been there, sucked that, new Bats please!
    • Like x 1
  9. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I've been saying that for a while now, I thought Joseph Gordon Levitt's character could be a sort of Terry McGinnis version of Batman. It wouldn't be a stretch for Bruce to expand on his exoskeleton knee brace and build the exoskeleton Batman Beyond suit for John "Robin" Blake.

[IMG]
    Oldman Wayne (He's on the left)

[IMG]
    Batman must always talk in a deep angry voice... and yell "LIKE THIS!":mad:
  10. Meta Flare New Player

Lol. Right. I have a hard time picking someone that could be batman.
  11. Meta Flare New Player

Maybe anson mount from hell on wheels. I read an article and I think he is a good choice.
  12. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

That's the thing, WB seems to be trying to find a new Batman when they don't have to... yet. They could just use a Batman Beyond version, he's still Batman but doesn't have to be The Batman.
  13. StillCheckmate Committed Player

JGL was already established as Robin ...
  14. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

John Blake's real first name was Robin, it was just a "shout out" to the fans to show who is character was potentially going to be which was one of Batman's wards/apprentices. I think Batman's wards include the Batman Beyond version if you also include TAS universe. Batman Beyond was really just another "Robin" using the Batman mantle. Wayne clone or not.
  15. Clip New Player

Bale is too skinny to represent batman...
  16. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

[IMG]
    *I want you to remember, Clark. In all the years to come. In all your most private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you.

Zack is not adapting from this thing but gave a hint* about the story they intend to use for the movie.
    I got from it, they're not making Frank Miller's story in movie form, but making a new story, that may include Batman beating Superman (why else use that quote?). Looking forward to seeing the movie. whatever story it turns out to be.

I'm watching for chatter from Kevin Smith and Max Landis. Their initial response to comiccon are out there (interesting stuff). They might get a preview of the script sooner or later, and I want to see that reaction from them.
  17. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

18. Statman New Player

19. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Me too, HISHE is my favorite youtube channel, Super Cafe is funny stuff.
    "Knock knock"
    Whos' there?
    "Beak"
    Ahhh
    "Beakcause I'm Batman"
    • Like x 1
  20. Deathmark New Player

That 50 mils rumor is pretty much a bs story that's kinda been debunked already. The Sun reported it without barely a shed of tangible proof. Here's the pertinent excerpts of an article about it.

The recent online buzz erupted after the British Sun newspaper reported that “Bale is facing extraordinary pressure” to return to the character for a huge payday. The Sun‘s sources, however, aren’t exactly Warner Bros. insiders or members of Bale’s inner circle. Instead, the tabloid was blindly relying on a new ebook titled Beyond Batman: The Unauthorized True Story of Christian Bale and His Dark Knight Dilemma. It’s a 27-page mini-book from an author named Vincent Russel, who’s also written an unauthorized biography of WWE superstar CM Punk.

In Beyond Batman, Russel writes about a New Year’s Eve 2012 conversation about a potential Justice League movie that he had with a friend who worked at Legendary Pictures during the making of the Dark Knight films:

“’Why would Christian Bale walk away from what is certainly going to be either the first or second highest grossing movie in the history of cinema,” he asked, when the subject of Justice League was raised. … ‘He could probably make $50 million for being in the movie 20 minutes,’ my friend observed. ‘And it would be worth every penny to the studio.’ … Sources close to Christian Bale have reportedly begun expressing their suspicions that Bale now views the Batman films in the same light that Robert Downey, Jr. views the Iron Man films. Although Downey has appeared as Tony Stark in four films in less than a decade, he’s hardly typecast as only Iron Man. Downey has balanced his action film escapades with other projects that have harnessed his talents and earned critical acclaim in the process. … Christian Bale’s future success as a Hollywood draw may need Batman every bit as much as the Batman franchise needs Bale for a few more rounds. … It goes without saying that Bale’s managers, friends, and representatives are all telling him the same. And as anyone who has ever worked with Bale will admit, the actor is incredibly sharp, business savvy, and perceptive. As a result, it seems highly unlikely that Christian Bale will bolt from Batman when the bat signal is still glimmering above the Hollywood sign with such tangible fervor.”

A “former colleague” of Russel’s told him seven months before Man of Steel even opened in theaters that Bale could probably get $50 million for appearing in a subsequent Justice League movie. Now, let’s assume Russel’s former colleague is a top Legendary executive and that everything he said accurately reflects the company’s thinking… That still doesn’t equate into what’s being reported by many outlets today. There is no $50 million offer, based on a speculative conversation that took place eight months ago. The confusion isn’t necessarily the fault of Russel — who relied on “exclusive interviews, online research” for his $2.99 ebook — but the number of outlets that hurriedly ran with the news, most likely because of their steadfast belief that this type of announcement is inevitable. Of course Warner Bros. is going to make a final push to get Bale back, goes the thinking. And $50 million seems about right (I guess?) Reportedly, director Zack Snyder wants a slightly older, wearier Batman to battle Cavill’s younger Superman. That would be Bale, who’s only 39, but he certainly pulled that off in The Dark Knight Rises. Warner Bros. and Bale’s rep both declined to comment about the newest speculation, but that could mean anything or nothing.

For those who want to go down the rabbit-hole, Bale starts shooting Exodus, his Moses epic with Ridley Scott, this fall, but he’s not yet officially booked for anything in early 2014, when Batman vs. Superman is tentatively scheduled to shoot. So he’s potentially available. Bale also wouldn’t be the first actor to feign disinterest in order to secure a better payday. He’s either completely content with walking away from the franchise, or he’s playing this non-negotiation negotiation perfectly. Or both. Conceivably, he could return as Batman for one epic battle with Superman, really die the noble death he faked in Dark Knight Rises and then hand the keys of the Tumbler over to his new successor, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, for the subsequent Justice League movie —STOP!!! See, I understand why we care and why we were so willing to believe the $50 million offer report. But the fact is, Warner Bros. is still looking for its Batman, and last we heard from Bale on the matter, he said, “I enjoy looking forward to what somebody else will come up with.” Admittedly, that was in July, but that was also seven months after the sketchy conversation that launched the $50 million rumor