SO FF14......

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Jirocon, Jul 20, 2013.

1. AV Loyal Player

Seconded. It's WAY less grindy than FFXI. You can finish a relic weapon or two in FFXIV in less time than it used to take to just get a character to max level in FFXI.
  2. TDSK Committed Player

Also, from everyone who has played, what job was most needed? I've heard that healer jobs are the least used. Was planning on healing anyway, but would rather try and fill up a spot that is basically controller and healer here.
  3. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Well current make up with 4 people is 1 healer 1 tank 2 dps. So either healer or tank is going to be needed out of the gate as everyone will want to dps
  4. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Going through Hyperion withdrawals:(
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Wow.... did not realise how asking a question on these forums was "jerkbait". Will have to remember that.

As for this post..... is there no controller??

So it's either healer tank or DPS??? No controller?? Are those the only 3 roles??? Or is it just that those are the three role that most people prefer in a group??

Thanks.
  6. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Well, the controller role is specifically a DCUO thing. FF has Tank, Healer, DD, and Support, you can debuff, crowd control, etc with any class for the most part since you "Make / Customize" your character by equipping the skills you want. Every MMO / RPG has a class and abilities where you can CC mobs and debuff them, DCUO was the first game (that I can remember) that made a class that was literally JUST a battery in the eyes of the community, so if by Controller, you mean is there a power battery in FF, then no lol. DCUO really broke the mold in a BAD way with making a class thats sole purpose is to just GIVE POWER even though it has CC abilities.
  7. AV Loyal Player

FF is more advanced by far when it comes to roll diversity. Even the different DPS jobs have their own niche and qualifications. Unless they've changed it a lot since I last checked.

Warrior -> Tanky melee DPS, can tank decently as well. Solid AoE damage for quick removal of trash mobs. Slashing damage.

Dragoon -> Squishier thank tank but melee DPS. Specializes in cc and has a variety of st and aoe stun abilities. Though squishier, is capable of keeping itself alive through self healing secondary power effects. Alternatively, it can turn itself into a glass cannon by sacrificing evasion and defense for accuracy and attack power. Piercing damage.

Paladin -> Pure tank. Also has access to a shield. Slashing damage.

Monk -> Melee DPS with insanely high HP pool. Specializes in utility attacks that both inflict heavy damage and cause secondary enfeeblements such as blindness, paralysis, or slow down the enemy. Blunt type damage.

White Mage -> Pure healer

Black mage -> Pure glass cannon

Bard -> Combo ranged DPS + support role. Abilities are capable of restoring MP, increasing attack power, evasion etc. They boost the party. They are like the "controller" but they are also very heavy st DPS on their own. Also capable of extremely effective st cc effects. Piercing damage

Summoner -> Utility job that can take either a supportive or a dps role depending on the situation. very effective kiters and traditionally an extremely clean, though even/steady, dps.

Every job in FF is extremely unique.
  8. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

I am going to run White Mage and Bard as my 2 main jobs I think
  9. AV Loyal Player

Bloody love bard. Waaaaaaay more fun than brd in XI. The game's cas enough though you could probably get away with maining everything.
    • Like x 1
  10. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Well ya the beta was. But you never know they might turn on super grind mode for those last couple of levels to level cap lol
  11. AV Loyal Player

Yar. I think they've realized that there's more money in keeping it more casual though. I know for me I can't invest in a game as grindy as FFXI was when it first came out anymore. Well... I guess I could but I wouldn't like it. Personally I really like this more casual approach a lot because I love all of the jobs and I want to play all of them and see their individual story arcs. Plus I don't like to feel trapped by an MMO, like I'm sub-par if I get to a point and stop playing as much. I like hitting the extreme end-game status quo point.

Return to super grind will make me a sad pantsed sad panda.
    • Like x 1
  12. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

When I played 11 it was grindy but when you got to 70 they turned on like super grind mode. I mean you could grind exp for hours each day and barely make a dent in your TNL
    • Like x 1
  13. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Oh yeah, XI was MUCHO grindy, no sugarcoating it lol. BUT that was the beauty of it, what you said above, you could grind for 24 hours straight and barely, if at all, put a dent in your TNL, and that was EVEN with using the empress / emperor bands lol. Thing about XI is that you didn't mind grinding because of the endgame, you WANTED to be a part of it, you couldn't wait to get to Sky and face the Gods, or fight the Zilart or the awesomely dark Crystal Warriors. The Hume, Elvaan, Galka, Taru, and Mithra all at once in that epic 18 man alliance battle :)
    • Like x 1
  14. Iris Dark New Player

Tank, healer and dps are considered the "trinity". Those roles are staples of most mmorpgs. Usually the "support" functions are usually filled by niche powers/spells from one of the trinity classes or various specialized builds of one of the trinity classes.
  15. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
  16. Iris Dark New Player

If you pre-ordered from Gamestop, your early access code should have been printed on a reciept. I had to ask the clerk specifically for the early access code. She was apparently stumped but took the time to look at the pre-order bonuses for FFXIV and confirmed I was entitled to one. She had to ask her manager how to get me a code and after a few keystrokes he was able to print my code on a seperate receipt.

From what I understand preordering in a store=code on reciept & preordering online = code is emailed to you a few days later.

Watch out though, I hear Best Buy isn't a participating retailer for early access...
  17. AV Loyal Player

Yar. It took me waaaaay more time to get a single job to ~70+ in XI than it did for me to get every job to 30, finish every gear quest, do every sidequest, do every main story quest, take all my crafts to 15-20, and finish luminary fishing rod and half way to luminary pickax in XIV @_@

It was amazing back then but I wouldn't stand for it anymore. Good times though. SE blew a big opportunity. They should have made a plan for things to carry over from MMO to MMO forever, effectively making the world's first non-stop MMO and guaranteeing that your hard work wouldn't get flushed down the tubes. Then they went and made relic/mythic/empyrion worthless last month, taking it in the exact opposite direction Q_Q! MJOLLLNNIIIIIR!
  18. Duragon Committed Player

This :)

I still don't think the doubters of FFXIV understand just how much stuff you can do in one of Square's games.
    • Like x 1
  19. AV Loyal Player

It's next to nothing compared to XI though, thankfully @_@
  20. Duragon Committed Player

Well, FFXI is 11 years old. When it first dropped there was just about the same amount of stuff to do as FFXIV, but it was just more tedious. The developers have done a good job of adding in just as much content but making it more accessible and less tedious. I can only imagine how big FFXIV will be 2 or 3 years from now. I can't wait. :)