Dueling etiquette

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by DoctorP2, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Brit Loyal Player

I don't use Sodas in duels because there is no reward for duels. Why would I expend personal resources when victory gains me nothing? Who cares who wins the duel? I used to spend my duels turning into a monkey and throwing barrels at them to try and knock them out of the circle.

Duels are an activity that is "just for fun". There's nothing in it for either side beyond personal satisfaction. If you want to play competitive 1v1, do Lair Battles.
    • Like x 1
  2. thenewkidd New Player

All I have to say to this is.. No.

If I don't have henchmen or backups or any of the home turf trinkets... and even lets go as far as to say that I am only Free 2 Play and have almost no money so all I could pick up is a few Extremes (not even Remixes)..

So YOU are better than me because you beat me by popping backups, dropped an orbital strike on me and maybe popped a Remix in the battle and I lost... so... You have skill because you can push a button and let all the "trinkets" do the work for you as you "mash square" (melee attack for PC)

Yeah.. real skill there.

You strike me as the type of guy that would likely go around fighting Pre Level 30s and saying "MAN you suck" when you out gear them by 5 teirs.

Zpirit is talking about "level playing field"
    Situation 1)
    I am winning and you have to bring out your sidekick... so obviously you couldn't beat me so you have to "call in help"
    I am F2P so I don't have that... so I "lack skill" because I cannot beat you AND your sidekick.. Sorry, not buying it.

Situation 2)
    I'm beating you and you pop a soda... fine... I pop one too.. if we both have remixes... you just prolonged the dual that you are actually going to lose anyway if you had to pop a soda. However, if I do not have soders for some reason and you pop one and I don't have one, I "lack skill" because I wasn't able to heal myself and give myself a bit more power to finish you off when you NEEDED a soder or you would have died... (and *I* am the one that lacks skill)... not buying it.

All I am saying... some of the "etiquette" I don't agree with, but when it comes to "trinkets"... just because you can make an army and beat me becasue you were able to bring forth Boo, Backups, Supply Drop and who ,knows what other drops you might use, does not make you "skilled" in the art of PVP.. it just means you want to win.. and you can't without using your army and praying on the people that might not have those things...

Beating someone who is on the same playing field as you means a lot more than winning simply because you could afford to buy a trinket.

ETA:
    I'm not really F2P.. I was just using that as examples in some situations.
    • Like x 2
  3. petvpets New Player

Whilst there are somewhat some old school pvp dueling standards left over, to me if I am challenged I wont use cheese. However when you think about it, the chances of anyone following some community standard rule for each duel and expect them to abide by it is about the same chance as people trying to enforce the other community rules of loot distribution - Need rolling on Class gear only and not dps arguement.
  4. Volaron New Player

Actually no it takes away the cheap gimmicks we currently have in PvP. Me using 3 pets + a cola + 6 shields as a ice tank + supply drop + orbital + seasonal pets proves ABSOLUTELY nothing. As Miss Adora said earlier..
    • Like x 1
  5. Volaron New Player

No. No it doesn't. as I already said I can go ice tank slot full dom & precision use 6 shields, seasonal pets, snowman trinket, 3 henchman, orbital, cola, and supply drop, and it will prove nothing besides me being a complete noob who needs the biggest crutches ever put into any game to win a simple 1v1.
  6. Culture New Player

A true duel should put both duelists on a level playing field, so there really ought to be some rules of etiquette. As several people mentioned, the use of sodas, etc, potentially removes the level playing field if the opponent does not have access to the same sodas/trinkets. Everyone has access to a weapon and six power slots, of course gear can still unbalance the equation. But think of the old duels, both duelists had to use the exact same guns. They wouldn't allow one person to bring a flintlock and the other a sub-machine gun. Nor would they allow one to stop the pacing count early, rush the other duelist and point blank him. In gentlemens dueling, there is a modicum of propriety and honor involved. Not saying our MMO duels must conform to the traditional idea of dueling, just that it seems there are two populations, traditionalists who appreciate rules, and new-agers who believe in "all is fair." Neither is wrong, it's really only an issue when the two come in contact.
  7. D3athStrik3 Well-Known Player

Proper dueling etiquette states you must be in healer or tank role before the start of the duel.
    You must pop a dps trinket along with accomplise/henchmen at the start of the match.
    You then follow up with an orbital, supply drop, your second dps trinket, and lastly 2 supercharges also don't forget your ATK or AUX soders beforehand and soder cola Next during the duels.
    Anything but following these simple steps and rules for dueling is considered shady, cheap, and
    Completely unacceptable and you should be ashamed of yourselves.
  8. kingmasternova Loyal Player

I with people who don't use any of those are the REAL CLOWNS

POINT BLANK!!
  9. kingmasternova Loyal Player

You would be unskill if you don't use them.
    Also not bright for not using them.

POINT BLANK!!
  10. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

Like someone on here already said those rules were all made when there was no dueling and you could only fight the opposite faction. The soders were a not so much looked at as a no no, but more like a waste. You both could pop one so why waste it? It was a bit harder to get them then. And the no sc and pets and what not were just pre determined rules so there would be a fair fight. And that was just for fun. To practice and get better at pvp. There were no feats involved so why not make rules.

With dueling now what I do is I won't use anything unless the other guy does first. Seems fair to me.
    • Like x 4
  11. NoobishGuy New Player

i am not a high level dueler and neither are the people i usually duel with so we don't really pay attention to any "community rules"
  12. BigAl Devoted Player

Ok, I'll bite.
    There is an unspoken set of rules in dueling, but only for the players that want a challenge. I, myself, don't pop colas in duels or use any supercharges....unless my opponent does and I'm going to lose. If I can beat them straight up with no gimmicks, I do. If they have used them and are gaining the advantage, I don't mind turning the tables.
    Now in PvP matches....anything goes. I want to win, so I don't care what I have to throw. I'd throw my mom if she was in-game (she may not weigh a lot, but man, she would nag your ear off!). And thanks to the return of "losing" rewards, I don't mind losing or quitters (as long as they quit well into the fight).
  13. nuclearbomb Well-Known Player

People who pop everything in duels just are bad at dueling people. If youk have to pop everything it means you know you can't win without it. When I duel I don't pop nothing even if they use everything cause I know I can win and I'm not despret for the win. People who are saying use everything are the people who pve and think its same as pve. You don't need everything to beat someone in a duel, the players not a boss fight, not going to get feat for beating them fast. Does take skill to not use sc,cola,accomplish,supply drop or hechmen because nothing is going to help bring the green bar back up. If duel without it helps you survive in open world better cause don't need pop everything like a noob at one guy.
    • Like x 2
  14. villian O5 New Player

Depending on other things to help you do something you can't <---- not skill but it is a crutch
    • Like x 2
  15. villian O5 New Player

Lol one man army
  16. Tlogie New Player

your not.lol. just the home turf stuff is flat out lame in dueling and pvp. its like getting into a fight and the fight is even all the way until your boys jump in to help.take your butt kicking like a man.lol
  17. villian O5 New Player

There is nothing stupid about people coming together and agreeing on something together. If anything everyone should do that before they duel, or anything else.
  18. crownclownking New Player

lol ok im gonna care about some silly rules the elite pvp players set up lol if im dueling which i rarely do, if i have a soda or any sc or trinket im using it, why cause i can simple as that. If u want to fight with your made up rules fight other pvp players that accept those rules but dont expect everyone to abide by them cause guess what some ppl that pvp arent hardcore about it some of us just do it cause were bored or for fun. You can go rage in versus chat if u want if that helps you i guess i wont respond cause it just a game to me therefore i treat it at such.
    • Like x 1
  19. Dirty Fred New Player

LOL you cant really have the name One_Man_Army if you need to pop 100 of pets, Heanchmens & Sidekicks to help you win a fight:D
    • Like x 3
  20. Tomaha2013 New Player

Most of the time people say don't use a soda, supercharge, or trinket but when you start to win they will pop at least one if not all and say oops sorry didn't mean to and then wont except another duel invite so I have thrown out all dueling etiquette's and have gone straight into use everything all the time and do whatever it takes to win.

And sometimes that means a self heal a soda and a shield with the hand mods that heal, along with orbital, backup, my collectors edition trinket, and my pet from the seasonal the sea guy cuz he's beast. We call the Sea guy Earl that's my girlfriends name for him at least.

Yes people get mad but normally these are the same guys who would do the same to you in a heartbeat if you were to start winning a duel with them.

Duel to win by any means possible if people get mad tell them if it wasn't in the game it wouldn't be used but it's in the game so use it.
    • Like x 1