Dueling etiquette

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by DoctorP2, Jun 29, 2013.

1. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

I'm not a regular pvp'er by any means (except now that I'm forced to be in pve content...but that's a gripe for another thread :) ).

Anyway, I was helping someone out in a leveling mission today, and he invited me to duel when it was over. I figured, eh, wth, and accepted the duel, which I ended up winning.

So here's my question. I'm guessing it's considered bad form or a violation of dueling etiquette to pop a soder to save yourself from dying, but I used a self-heal in my loadout a couple of times and I wondered later whether that was also considered "unfair." Let me know what you think; I want to do the right thing in the future.
  2. Spidey Well-Known Player

I'm sorry, but it's so stupid. No sodas, no supercharges, no pets. Those guys are clowns.
    • Like x 1
  3. Spidey Well-Known Player

DCUO tough guy duelers:

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  4. Wilder Midnight New Player

personally i love popping colers and using supercharges but only because of the comedy that ensues seeing someone cry bout it in trade chat for four hours while you move on to other things.
    • Like x 5
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

Either you explicitly lay out an agreement beforehand about how you will **** yourself...or you use everything allowed in the game you can to win. Period.
    • Like x 7
  6. Alpha Well-Known Player

I've always felt that if you invite me to a duel when my flag is off then everything goes. You can pop sodas trinkets supers I don't care cause ill be doing the same.
    • Like x 3
  7. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

When I started playing this game back in Feb 2011 a friend of mine in real life was playing as well with me. He loved to PvP and was very good. He shared with me the 1v1 ettiquete of the time (dueling didn't exist so you only fought your opposing faction). Then you would meet up at the specified fight club location then approach the person you wanted to fight and bow to them. They would then bow to you to signify a fight agreement. You would then fight 1v1 with no use of soders and no supercharges. I laughed at that since in my opinion that is ridiculous.

I routinely would go to fight club and bow to someone. As soon as they bowed back I would supercharge them. I think some peoples nerd rage went off the charts toward me. To this day if someone challenges me to a duel, if I have a supercharge I'll use it. If I have a soder then I'll use that too. People will challenge me over and over again and yell at me for using soders, supers, pets, blah blah.
    • Like x 4
  8. neptunesBeard New Player

I don't use sodas because I like to save those for raids. Healers should be able to use their healing powers otherwise what's the point in being a healer....
    • Like x 4
  9. Zpirit Dedicated Player

Using any of those crutches shows how unskilled someone is when they need to use them.
    • Like x 1
  10. Feenicks New Player

I rarely duel....but when I do all is fair.

That sounded like a meme. :)
    • Like x 4
  11. nowburn4it Loyal Player

If they're so unskilled, you should be able to beat them, no matter what. Challenge me, I fight to win.
    • Like x 6
  12. Itazuki New Player

It all depends. Most avid PvPers will say that there is an unwritten rule to not use Sodas, Supercharges, or any trinkets besides the PvP trinket.

If I'm doing a duel to see who is better skilled, then I will tell you those are my rules before hand, you either agree to them or don't. If I'm just messing around then I use whatever just for fun like others will do.

As for your situation... Using a self-heal power was never against any dueling etiquette that I know of... Never heard that one before. So don't worry about it.
  13. Zpirit Dedicated Player

Fight to win as in Sc, cola, Supply drop, henchmen/side kick, orbital strike, and more? LMFAO
    • Like x 2
  14. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

The 'unwritten rules' of this game kill me. It just seems so ridiculous.
    • Like x 8
  15. One_Man_Army New Player

Or maybe it shows how truly skilled someone is by using them at the right time. Or maybe it shows how truly skilled someone is by overcoming them and still winning. Seriously, the notion that someone lacks dueling skills because they use sodas, supercharges, and pets is ridiculously stupid at best. The notion that someone is more skilled in duels because they don't use sodas, supercharges, and pets is just as ridiculously stupid at best. Skill comes from OVERCOMING OBSTACLES. If you aren't giving duels EVERYTHING you have, you aren't trying to overcome obstacles. By not giving duels EVERYTHING you have, you are essentially telling me you have absolutely NO dueling skills whatsoever. True skill shows when both participants give it everything they have and the more skilled player will come out on top. If neither player actually gives it everything they have in their arsenal, in reality, they aren't really showing any skill at all. That's no duel. That's a gentlemen's agreement, lol.
    • Like x 7
  16. Monty New Player

its like calling weapons...who cares
  17. One_Man_Army New Player

And using all that most definitely does NOT show a lack of skill, lol. Not using them at all, in the same token, most definitely does NOT show actual dueling skill. Dueling skills are NOT shown by a gentlemen's agreement where duelists agree not to use all the bells and whistles. You see, since neither participant will actually be attempting to overcome obstacles such as sodas, superchages, trinkets, and pets, neither participant shows any true skill of any true merit. True skill comes when BOTH participants give it everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, they have with one person coming out on top. If you want TRUE dueling skills, you need to be able to overcome your opponent NO MATTER what he brings your way. That's real, true skill in the art of dueling. The notion that you are more skilled for not giving it everything you have is just plain ridiculously stupid, lol.
    • Like x 3
  18. One_Man_Army New Player

I'll add a story of mine once when I dueled. It was my favorite duel in the game. I've had about 500 but this 1 duel is my favorite because it was against a fellow sorcerer healer who was only slightly more geared than I was. He had slightly more restoration and precision, but not much more, so we were pretty much an even match. I challenged him first. The first duel lasted a while. I won but man was it close.

Now, he challenged me for a second match. Needless to say the second match probably lasted for at least an hour or so before he just gave up and gave me the win by default. Anyway, during the second duel, we both gave it everything we had. He was using the Grand Summoning supercharge and I was using Transcendence. It was before Home Turf so neither of use used Home Turf trinkets. However, we both used two different pet trinkets. I had Mr. Boo. He used Mrs. Boo. I had a pumpkin trinket from the Halloween event. Believe he used the summer seasonal pet trinket if memory serves. Most fun I had in dueling. We both used everything in our arsenal. Every time he popped Grand Summoning, I negated it with Transcendence. He popped a pet trinket. I popped a pet trinket. I popped a pet trinket. He popped a pet trinket. Mind you, neither of us truly overcame the other as we were that close gear wise. Duel only ended when he just gave up and gave me the win. Now, that was the most fun I've ever had in a duel. Overcoming obstacles shows real skill. Thinking on the fly shows real skill. If you can combat your opponent's maneuver with one of your own and thus negating it, like I did when my opponent popped Grand Summoning, that shows real skill. A pansy, gentleman's agreement to not give it everything you have, on the other hand, how does that show any actual skill at all, lol? No. True skill comes when you can match your opponent blow for blow and still come out on the upper end of the stick, no matter what your opponent does.
    • Like x 3
  19. Miss Adora Loyal Player

A real duel is mono on mono, that is why they say no pets.
  20. Tlogie New Player

Agreed. Using the Home Turf trinkets in dueling and pvp shows that you have absolutely no skill in pvp. SC and sodas I'm cool with but popping adds is just weak. thats why I stay out of pvp.