Choosing the right name for your villain.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by neptunesBeard, Jun 9, 2013.

1. petvpets New Player

2. The Doctor Loyal Player

Brown Bathtub! Yeah, I was going number two when I read this.
  3. LL New Player

lol...who wears brown tshirts?
  4. TheLoneLantern New Player

He works for UPS
    • Like x 1
  5. LL New Player

lol...:)
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Sarcasm doesn't play well over the interwebs. If that's the case then I apologize.
  7. Jack-O-The-Green Well-Known Player

I like to start with the look. I just fool around in character creator until I get something that makes me think "I'd buy a comic about them." Then you just get the name from there. Personally, for just about all of my villains, the look came first. Then you can get a name from a specific TV show or song, so you're not just calling some giant winged demon Evil Matlock, you're calling your old guy in a white business suit Evil Matlock!

Also, making the name a variation on an existing character can be fun. I've got a mostly retired villain called The Gentleman Robot. I was goofing around trying to make a James Bond guy and it was going terribly. I accidentally turned him into a robot and thought, "that looks okay." There's already a bad guy called The Gentleman Ghost who's cool as hell, so I did a tweak on that.

I personally try to avoid mentioning the powersets/roles in case I decide to change them someday.

Also, google stuff and look up synonyms.
  8. Lynx Committed Player

You just have to have patience and do some research. It took me a good hour, minimum, to come up with each of my character's names, some of them longer than that.

Here's the ones I use, so you can get an idea of the process I go through:

Girl Fusion
    My main, a lightning/speedster/hand blaster character. When I first started the game, I wanted an ironman style character, but no matter how hard I tried I could not come up with a fitting name for a male in a powersuit that wasnt invalid or taken. So, I started looking at a possible female ironman-style character, which turned out to be a bit less common.
    After quite a bit of trial, I found "Girl Fusion" (though I wanted "fusion girl" originally, but it was taken) was available. It fit the fact that I had to use the robot skin for her and that ironman was based on an arc reactor (so why not this character based on a fusion reactor?). She began as a flyer/hand blaster/gadgets character, but I quickly decided (by around level 10 or so) that I really just did not like the female ironman style - it didnt feel right. So, I deleted the character and went back to the drawing board.
    After coming up with the name warp ray for the replacement male character, I later on went back to "girl fusion" as a name for an alt character that used lightning and super speed. I thought it was just as fitting, as a fusion reactor would easily be matched up to high speed and electricity. She quickly became my main, though, as I found I absolutely love the lightning power set and super speed together.

Warp Ray
    Originally a replacement male character for the female ironman style character above, I was still struggling with appropriate names. I came upon the cyclops head style during character creation, and it sparked an idea: what about an alien character in a robosuit? Could still have the ironman theme, but with more alien/mysterious elements.
    I started looking for alien-esque names that might fit. Being a big fan of starcraft and the protoss, that was one of my first stops for naming inspiration. I tried a lot of protoss unit names (zealot, archon, templar, dragoon, immortal, arbiter, so on and so forth) but they were all taken.
    The one I liked best was Void Ray, especially since quantum was coming out and I wanted to give it a try instead of gadgets (which, after some experimentation on the original girl fusion, I decided I'm not a big fan of). Unfortunately, void ray was taken as well - but I started to look for variations on that name, and quickly came up with Warp Ray - based on the quantum powerset - which struck me as a pretty good alternative.

Geophase
    It took me a long time to come up with this one too. I had bought earth, because it's one of my favorite elemental styles (next to water, which isnt yet available), but couldnt come up with a character to use it. I felt obligated to make an earth-user but at a loss as to what style or name he should have.
    I went with a lot of earth-based names: earthshock (yes, from my wow days), geoshock, landslide, mudslide, earthquake, all the usual ones you might think of. Started going with terra- and geo- prefixes but could not get a name that wasnt locked.
    One of my other characters (thoughtlock) had originally tried to go with a name based on the powers used by lilith and maya in the borderlands/borderlands 2 games (phaselock / phasewalk), but they had been taken. So, in a desperate attempt to come up with a proper earth name, I started trying to adapt those naming conventions to the geo and terra prefixes.
    What I came up with was Geophase, which I'm still not entirely satisfied with, but it was the best I could do in this case.

Thoughtlock
    As said above, I wanted to go with a phaselock/phasewalk style name, and originally I had planned on going with gadgets or quantum for this character (she's my only villain at the moment). Unfortunately I couldnt come up with any non-taken names along that style, so I started looking into other power sets that I hadnt tried yet. Mental was the only one that really stood out to me, and after coming up with a character costume that matched the mental power pretty well I started looking for names along those lines.
    I tried a lot of other options at first, really liked the sound of names like Psilock/psylock or psishock/psyshock, but they were all taken. Eventually I started going with other mental terms outside of psi/psionic and came up with Thoughtlock, which I've gotten the most compliments on as far as names go (everyone seems to think it was a pretty good name for a mental user).
  9. Annonymous New Player

I mean for my villain i was in a rush because i was starting with a friend on the villain side of the game, and i just came up with Android XY kind of like a genderless machine, hes silver and i think its cool. IDK coming up with hero names is hard sometimes lol. My heroes name is MrAnnonymous i thought that wasnt that bad too idk.
  10. segundoblz New Player

Evil _______
    Done.
  11. NyteSkye New Player

I have a hard time coming up with names, I was lucky to come up with NyteSkye. I guess when I was making my hero, I wanted to make a dark name sounding type of hero. (Of course, yes, I made my hero first because my friends were on the game and I was so noob, so I made a hero to get their help xP)... So when I thought of dark, I thought of 'Night'... I kept thinking what could go with it. My favorite color is blue so I had to associate things that are colored blue. I thought of water, ice, and probably a lot of other things, then I finally figured... The sky during the day time is blue. So at first, I came up with NightSky... Then I thought, this name looks ugly spelled like that. So I changed it to NyteSkye and that's how it came to be :3

I also have to disagree with someone who says anyone and everyone with x______x types of names are noobs or whatever because... My villain is xNyteSkyex, and I did that because I wanted my villain to be the exact same person as my hero, (of course different powers to just experience a variety of powers), and make sure I would focus on her as much as I do my hero, and I did just that, so she has a character similar to Two-Face (except they are literally two different characters, but use your imagination, and it's still the same person). Both full t4 and over 100 skill points (before T5 was out anyway)... And that's how I got my name.

My other toons, one was named after a character from Skullgirls, one was named after a band, one was named after a friend of mine that I met on DC, and the other is just the worst name I've ever came up with, ThrashNBlazed... Because I like thrash metal, and her power is Fire. lol...

Anyways, it just takes time to think of something you really want. Or do what I did, if you already have a hero, just put x's at the beginning and the end and just use the same name. I haven't met too many people who have done that :)
  12. Adogg5 New Player

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=superheronameorg
    I used Trikcery/Atomic/Purple and got these:
    Amethyst Nuke
    Atomimaster
    Fake Illusionist
    Fission Girl
    Forgery Gal
    Fraud Trickster
    Illusion Nuke
    Mirage Fission
    Mirage Sham
    Misa
    Nuclear Lad
    Purple Master
    Purplea
    Radioactive Nuke
    Radioactive Sham
    Sham Trickster
    Trick Fission
    Violet Master
    Violet Master
    Violet Nuke
  13. The Doctor Loyal Player

I don't remember what color it was when I bought it.
    • Like x 2
  14. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

For villains I usually have a named picked out by my power and mentor I chose. Though for heroes I chose quantum, mentor by Superman. Because we are humans and got our powers by the exobytes, I decided to have his back story be a member of the Kent family. Henry Kent is my character name. As such, having the utmost respect for Clark Kent, he wears the T2 superman chest due to the S symbol standing for "hope". :)
  15. Captain Domino Committed Player

Wish I knew this before...I could have been White Ray Ban this whole time lol
  16. ifichalone New Player

Think about something that may have changed your life... My villain name is Brutal Clam !
  17. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

My forum name is the same as my main character's name. I actually named him after myself...sort of lol. White wolf was a nickname I gained when I was a teenager doing martial arts tournaments. Wolves are my favorite animals, the arctic wolf in particular...and im also a white guy that was in tournaments against a bunch of asian guys lol....so among some the name stuck and so I named my main white wolf and made him a martial arts main weapon user.

My other characters are generally named themed with their powers and back stories...Electric healer (SonofRaiden2)....Earth tank (Stone Wolf)....Quantum troller (Omnipotent)....Hard light troller villain (Black Wolf)..the last one is designed for the soul purpose of being my main's villain counterpart and arch enemy. :)
  18. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

I would have been "BLUE KEYBOARD" !! Lol