Question: Tank Dominace on threat

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Dark Ice, May 23, 2013.

1. Dark Ice New Player

as the title says does tank dominace affect his/her threat output and the success rate of his/her taunts?

before i continue let me add that english is not my forst language so for all grammar ***** out there -sorry-

the above question stroke me 2 days ago as i (the ice tank of my league, heroes side) watched a friend of mine, and one of you best dpsers in the league, swap to tank role grab all random tank gear he accumulated via t5 solos and ops and with about 550 dominance he tanked one of the 2 nexus mini bosses where the group must split (right before the last boss fight), acording to the other group the mini boss was on him 100% of the time. I was kinda shocked, especially from my experience when i was low on cr, i clearly remember strykers island las boss (grodd) where i was asked to swich to tank role in order to see if the breackout(cleance/immune) i provide could free us from a stun, frankly no single mob ,boss or add, ever switched on me, even after i immediately used a power near them. The explanation i was given was that i had low dominance (about 150 at that time in tank role).

Thus i decided to do some tests

all following where done with me (in tank role with dps gear and 150 dom (50 base + 25 from iconic power x2)) and my fire dps friend

-gorrila grodd projections, i pretty much spammed 3-4 inescapable storms while he was trowing might damage on them, i do know these particular mobs use breackout but even after it had ended and i used a power (taunt) he switched to me and in less than half a sec he was back attacking the dps.

-familly reunion t5op, the drone boss right before the last boss, i spammed inescapable storm like i had no other power on my bars and with the sole ecxeption of the first few seconds the drone totaly ignored me

-brother in arms t5op, house of el chief guard (captain something or the boss before jor el) this time i expected to wipe but strangelly enough we killed him, 70% of the time he was on me and for the other 30% he usually resets his aggro or he has attacks that target not the tank (dunno which)

so again to my question: does dominance affect anyhow the threat and taunt from tanks?
  2. FESTER665 Devoted Player

No.
    • Like x 8
  3. Badname8293 New Player

i say as an ice tank, i care first about my defense first, then health, then dominance, so my dominance is not high at all and I never cared to look at the recommended dominance required before going into alerts or raids..but still complete them fine...so who knows, the devs need to say it themselves for me to MAYBE believe it
  4. FESTER665 Devoted Player

The devs have said it. Dom has nothing to do with aggro.

From Tensu (SOE Developer) Regarding Dominance:
    Dominance does two things. It affects how much damage is required to break a control effect and it also determines whether you can control a target at all in higher tiered areas. It doesn't have any affect on threat though.

The reason Dominance is useful for tanks is because enemies who are knocked down, stunned or being juggled can't attack back. Tanks with high enough Dominance can take a lot less damage versus weaker "trash" (non-boss) type enemies by keeping them on their backs or otherwise helpless.
  5. Itazuki New Player

Nope. It has no effect on aggro.

Tanks will get aggro as soon as they use a power. Regardless of any stats.

If there is two Tanks, the last to cast a power gets aggro until the other casts a power. Some bosses will just randomly drop aggro though and attack whoever.
    • Like x 1
  6. blklightning New Player

Dominance does not affect threat... at all.

What your friend would experience, with his 550 dominance, in t5 content is that he's guaranteed aggro, but he cannot "pull" (crowd control) the adds with his powers.
  7. Kristyana New Player

I would also like to point out in a situation with two tanks that if both cast a taunt at the exact same time, the player that does the most damage will be the one who gets aggro.
    • Like x 2
  8. somebody nobody everybody New Player

I know it's already been said, but I really just love joining in on this topic...

No.
  9. MARK2099 New Player

Dom has zero effect, bosses attack randomly whoever they want, was just luck or coincidence the boss was 100% of times on him, as far i know only adds can be aggro with a single power and they rarely drop aggro, bosses is another story, they like to jump to other players regarless of your dom, remember swamp thing fight in spring event? i rarely see a tank even in full T4 be able to aggro him ;).
  10. chaoticreign New Player

I am an Ice Tank who plays it different then most and out dps 70% of the dps I have played with, even players in my league who are considered good dps.

Dominance has nothing to do with aggro at all. However, you seem like you are getting mixed results from testing, making you think dom may be the factor. However, were you blocking?

That's the board staple right... hold block. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  11. somebody nobody everybody New Player

Yeah....................................... can't understand why................. o_O
  12. Galklife Dragon New Player

Maybe the devs changed things.

They sometimes do that and forget to tell us in the patch notes.
  13. Bonehate New Player

Need a minimum of dominance for tanking, without dominance you can not pull aggro, but from a certain point it makes no difference. But this amount is confusing. However according to the update 6 dominance prevents the damage equal to 100% of dominance. So it is interesting to tank have the dominance as high as possible.
  14. recespieces31 New Player

Actually, it would be the first Tank to cast a power would gain aggro because when a power is used, a Tank gains aggro for an uninterruptable 12 seconds with it being refreshable at around 8 seconds...therefore, the first Tank to cast a power would "get aggro" as you say, not the second
    • Like x 2
  15. Dark Ice New Player

no i didnt block in any encounter just kept taunting (using powers)

additionally i cannot understand your point, could you please explain with simpler terms? (unless you meen tanks need to block, yea i normally block but that has nothing to do with threat and aggro)
  16. Solarstar New Player

For Tanks, their powers basically work as taunts to keep the mobs and bosses on them. Unfortunately, this isn't World of Warcraft so there's no telling as to how much aggro you're seeing from taunting the stuff onto you.
  17. Sumeric New Player

Alot of people seem to confuse gaining aggro with crowd control. The words "pull" and "aggro" are mutually exclusive.

Regardless of how much dominance a tank has, if he or she casts a power, they will automatically gain aggro (short of scripted scenarios where they cannot) because the taunting effect is part of the nature of the role.

However, if you want to forcibly redirect the placement of mobs in an instance (i.e. pull them), you need to meet the minimum dominance requirements for the instance.
    • Like x 2
  18. Dark Ice New Player

the issue here is (for ice tanks only) "why would i ever want dominance when restoration provides exactly the same survivability bonuses and more" because mods provide more resto than dominance even after doubling it due to tank role bonus, as for the 'you can take less damage on trashmobs argument' i rarely attack or even dare to use 'hold melee' on trash anymore since 1-2 of the pack randomy blocks backfireing my CC combo to me, even since my gear and shield can withstand the penalties when knocked down from blocks why should i ever drop my block (reduced damage) to try (emphasis on try) reduced the damage from one or two mobs?
  19. MattMinus New Player

[quote="recespieces31, post: 1771701, membekilled.]Actually, it would be the first Tank to cast a power would gain aggro because when a power is used, a Tank gains aggro for an uninterruptable 12 seconds with it being refreshable at around 8 seconds...therefore, the first Tank to cast a power would "get aggro" as you say, not the second[/quote]
    Beat me to it. Zombie tank myths cannot be killed.
  20. Itazuki New Player

Ah, idk I use a Healer mostly my Tank is an alt and not used to running with two Tanks honestly. I was most likely just casting after the guy's aggro was up.

Edit; Are you sure this is ALWAYS the case? I was just bouncing aggro back and forth with my Fire Tank friend on Bizarro within seconds.