NEW 52 update?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by NHKkyo, May 21, 2013.

1. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Erm, no. Most comic book plots, especially the major ones, are plotted out many many years in advance. For example the first teaser advertisement for the Blackest Night storyline was shown about 9 months before the series started and it had been alluded to for a few years before that.
  2. Jafin 10000 Post Club

While I am enjoying many of the New 52 books it just would not fit in with this game. They didn't simply just change people's outfits, they changed entire character identities and histories for some characters so it just wouldn't work. If there was to be some content that focused around the New 52 in the future such as a dimension hopping storyline I would be fine with that, but for the main game it needs to stay the way it is.
  3. Brit Loyal Player

I remember when Star Wars Galaxies tried a massive change like this. The end result was that people who weren't playing generally didn't know/care about it, but large numbers of the existing players who enjoyed the game suddenly had something they found fun taken away and the game no longer fitting what they were willing to pay for. Alienating the existing playerbase in order to maybe pick up outside customer interest is not a good trade. Especially when those outside customers we're hoping to draw in won't even know of the changes unless we press a decent advertising campaign, and they've barely bothered with an advertisement campaign for the existing game as is.

Nah. In general, the New 52 has been a negative thing. According to Diamond Distributing (the largest distributor of DC Comics), the top selling DC titles remain Batman, Justice League, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing, Green Lantern, Batman Incorporated, and Green Lantern Corp, of which only Batgirl and Justice League really saw any significant changes with the onset of the New 52. In contrast, the dramatically redone titles like Superman, Action Comics, and Teen Titans have been regarded as commercial flops, consistantly failing to place in even the top 25 selling titles for some of DC's biggest creative properties. And while a couple of books like Aquaman and Wonder Woman are widely regarded as a huge improvement, they still aren't selling anywhere near a competitive level, getting slaughtered by all things Gotham.

Little known fact. Total number of units sold, DC's "Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1" moved more books than any single issue of Superman or Action Comics over the course of 2012. And I don't think anybody here believes that Captain Metropolis and Hooded Justice are more popular than Clark. New 52 is simply a commercial failure that will likely be Crisis'd away in the next 2 years.
    • Like x 5
  4. AgentX44 Committed Player

5. Zpirit Dedicated Player

I would love if they removed the underwear on the outside for Superman, and updated Batman's costume so it doesn't look like he is still in the 1950's.
  6. somebody nobody everybody New Player

I too was never a huge fan of the blue on Batman, I much prefer the Black. Superman... I'm not so phased by that personally, lol.
  7. Bloodartist New Player

No.

And I don't even know much about this "new 52". I all about older comics. I guess I will eventually find about them. But I don't like change when it has no purpose.

However, there is one character model I'd like to change in the game, and that is Eclipso. I would prefer the Jean Loring version of eclipso. Much better looking. Even if I am against transgendering characters (marvel ultron huh??) and changing their appearance completely, I have to admit that the Eclipso classic costume with its tights and christmas-elf hat is just beyond me.
  8. Booster New Player

I mean to be fair both baseball bats and tennis rackets have changed considerably. As has Superman- I think the in-game version has the loops on the underpants for the belt, right?

That being said there's no reason the game couldn't feature a visit to the/a timeline very much like the New 52 universe without massively changing the game.
  9. Octantis New Player

They already said a ton of time that DCUO and the DCU are separate. People worry that the DCU will spill into this game need to stop doing that.
  10. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

I'd like to add my vote to the please no list. I have no problem with change, I just think the 52 stuff is ugly as sin. Also, I would rather the devs work on things that would be more appealing to the majority of the playerbase - and having heard some of the vulgarity in chat about 52 I don't think this is it.
    • Like x 1
  11. Pharaoh Dedicated Player

You made a lot of good points but this last one I wanted to comment on. They have used many different Crisis and stories to tie things together before and I believe they are headed there again. It did get them a pop but now its falling flat and som of their old sellers like Teent Titans and JSA are not getting buy rates now. They will probably merge the two universes again and take what they like from both. They even are releasing a new mini on Superman with Lois as his wife again. They gave a preview of it out on free comic book day.

Now to answer the thread topic I don't mid if they put the costume pieces in for us but to change the iconics in game you would pretty much have to change to the new 52 and in this thread you can see where that vote by the players is probably leaning hard towards keeping the old DC. I do agree that some of the new looks are better including the Superboy and Wonder Girl looks but they have totally changed both characters and killed their title sales(Teen Titans) in the new 52. I think the new JSA looks pretty stupid in my opinion. Captain Marvel and Black Adam I'm not a fan of either. So I hope they keep the old looks.
  12. Starblast Well-Known Player

I'm supportive of them adding "New 52" elements to the game or storylines in future content. IE new 52 inspired styles for our characters, etc. But I don't really think it would be necessary for them to alter the appearance of the heroes to reflect the New 52. Plus, it would just be a lot of unnecessary work. Also, doing this would create the ultimate paradox as in order to be accurate to the New 52, Donna Troy would vanish from existence, the new Huntress solo would also have to be considered an elseworlds type thing, Wonder Girl would need her dialogue altered, and the whole Batgirl/Oracle thing would be a mess to figure out. Also, this game really IMO does a good job of paying homage and promoting many parts of the DC Universe (at least from the 80s to now) plus adding its own spin. If you're not a comic reader it really makes you want to go seek the comics out. For me it actually introduced me to many things I never knew existed or knew were of much importance. I never knew much of Batwoman, Circe, Brainiac, Ocean Master, and Donna Troy. This game's depictions really made me want to know more about them. Especially Circe. The voice actress for her is just AMAZING. and when I found out it was Michelle Forbes from True Blood I was ecstatic as I loved her in that show. It made me even more a fan of the actress and the character and thus inadvertently Wonder Woman since she is her big villain. I really really hope Circe is introduced soon in the New 52 Wonder Woman book and has similar attire as this game. Anyway, in a nutshell, I just hope they can incorporate all that they can from any and all parts of the DC Universe. So much source material inspiration they can use. This recent DLC was a nice direction that they will probably do that in the future.
  13. Comixfan Committed Player

It's not just the fact that things have changed in the DCU. Things change all the time, especially in comics, and for the most part change is good.

Change isn't good, however, when it's a completely unnecessary and blatant marketing stunt, which is exactly what the New 52 is.

There was absolutely no need to reboot the DCU's continuity yet again. Absolutely no need to cancel books like JSA, Power Girl, Booster Gold, and Teen Titans in favour of launching titles like Red Hood & the Outlaws, OMAC, & DC Universe Presents.

Marvel recently did a line-wide revamp, relaunching a bunch of titles and introducing new ones, buy they did it without rebooting their entire continuity. The Marvel Universe is still the same MU it was before, not a pale imitation of what it once was as has happened with the DCU.
    • Like x 3
  14. Comixfan Committed Player

DCUO had been in development for 5 years before it was released. I daresay the New 52 reboot had not even been thought of back then.
    • Like x 1
  15. NHKkyo New Player

i can agree with that
  16. Eternity's_Girl Committed Player

Thank You.
  17. Original Kal Well-Known Player

I vote no. I was be more expletive but I doubt the mods would appreciate it.
  18. Sparkman New Player

But you don't see a baseball bat in the shape of a tennis racket.
  19. Booster New Player

My point was more that you would if tennis rackets could knock baseballs out of the park. When something works people don't care where the inspiration came from. And superman won't stop being Superman just because his underpants are under his pants.

I can't speak to all the numbers you're quoting but New 52 has been successful enough to cause Aquaman to outsell EVERY Marvel title. AQUAMAN. That's the impetus for the whole "Marvel NOW" soft-boot.
  20. neptunesBeard New Player

I'd rather the game be modeled after the JLU cartoon instead of the New 52 comics.
    I would hope I'm not alone.
    • Like x 1