Mental shield vs iconic shield

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Claytoun, May 21, 2013.

1. Claytoun New Player

Hi guys, I have a mental controller as you can see in my signature and was wondering about which one is the best between these two kind of shields: mental's one and iconic one.. I would also love somebody to tell me pros and the cons of both

Thank you for help in advance
  2. Sylar-Man New Player

I'm guessing you are meaning TK shield Vs. Hardlight shield. They both absorb the same amount of damage and cost the same amount of power but TK shield has a shorter cooldown and has a bigger modifier on it.
    • Like x 3
  3. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

And TK can be used while controlled, while hard light shield cannot.
    • Like x 3
  4. Breedin Bull New Player

I would go with Powerset move over Iconic move most days.
  5. neptunesBeard New Player

Even on Blorthog day?
  6. Shield New Player

HL shield can give a heal with the home turf regeneration hand mod. HL can not be removed by tank powers. Mental shield can be used when controlled. There are some great 4 shield/ precision Builds mental can run like ice runs. It is a good build for PvP.
    • Like x 1
  7. MARK2099 New Player

HLS pros: match color of your palette, can't be strip in rps, get benefit of hand ht mod, extra shield to every powerset especially those who don't have a single shields hello fire ;).

HLS cons: cooldown is extremely long compare to every powerset shield, only mitigate damage as opposed other shields who reflect some damage, NOT UWC, i think cost much more power than regular shields in powersets, is a single shield different than shields to 4 players like nature/sorcery/ice.

Telekinetic shield pros: UWC, get benefit of hand ht mod, is cheaper in power consumption compare to HLS.
    Telekinetic shield cons: can be strip in rps, is a the bottom of the tk tree.

Honestly i would take HLS any day if was UWC, that is probably to me the only reason why i never pick that shield over powersets shields.
  8. Cerbius New Player

Can you plz explain the modifier?
  9. 478874 Dedicated Player

Especially on Blorthog day!
  10. Wilder Midnight New Player

neither.

spec into "bastion".
  11. Dogzday Dedicated Player

It has a larger Damage Modifier.

Damage Modifiers are indicated under each individual Powers. Generally, the longer to cast, cooldown, or higher Tier they are, the more Damage Modifier they give (but they typically cost more Power to use).

Damage Modifiers are what make a DPS stronger than any other class other than enhanced Might & Precision. When you cast a Power, it gives you a certain percentile buff until the next Power is cast or until you zone out or until a long period of time.

For instance, if you cast Hardlight Shield, it may give you a 50% buff as opposed to other shields that give a 40% buff.

Basically your potential damage increases if you cast higher modifiers.
    • Like x 1
  12. thoughtpatern New Player

Just me or does hl shield have some kind of cap to how many hits it can take. I hit it sometimes and I see its still up but continue take damage anyways
  13. Cerbius New Player

Ah I see. But thats just for Damage role though correct?
  14. Dogzday Dedicated Player

Yes. Only for Damage. Each Role has their own buffs.

Controller: +350 Vitalization (I think) & +100% Dominance & Stronger Crowd-Control Effects.
    Damage: Damage Modifiers.
    Healer: +60% Healing Effects (I think) & -10% Damage (I think).
    Tank: I have no idea.
    • Like x 1
  15. Claytoun New Player

thank you guys.. so, in according to pros and cons, what's the best in terms of damage absorbed/cooldown/power points spent?
  16. Gargamond Dedicated Player

Definitely telekinetic shield. All the powers leading down to it are essential for a mental controller. Hardlight shield is only useful as an auxiliary shield in addition to telekinetic shield. With both shields, you are nearly invincible if you use the regenerative shielding tactical mod.
  17. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

That's a visual bug that's been around since forever. The shield is supposed to break and dissipate but the animation stays for an extra 2-3 seconds. It's been reported several times. :S
  18. thoughtpatern New Player

Ah good to know Ty
  19. thoughtpatern New Player

This info is good for my quantum toon as I had trouble spec into the time bubble and still getting what I wanted. As I had written off the hl shield due to that bug.