the least tasteful thing in this game.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by dWI, May 1, 2013.

1. dWI New Player

distressed citizens. really? why are they there, ive been through depression and it feels like how incredibly stupid it was for the devs to have them appear so often. yes, i realize it happens, but at this magnitude its disgusting.
  2. Tule New Player

You shouldn't be so sensitive simply because it personally effects you. Cop killers, bombs, car crashes, terrorism and murder all exist in this game, but it is highly cartoon like so it doesn't purposely offend people. Sorry, but these are the things games and comic books deal with.
    • Like x 2
  3. Feenicks New Player

But thier dog died! That's sad!
    • Like x 1
  4. The Kitsune New Player

Don't forget the horse. and the dogs got gout I think.
  5. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I think it is ok, because both cities have recently been destroyed by the war. But in some places of the city it really feels like every second roof has a distressed citizen.
  6. petvpets New Player

I sympathize with the OP, however you cant take it to heart every time something may or may not be personal to you shows up, if anything it raises awareness that it is a real problem, but this is a game and in this game world its all going to sht so to speak thats why the citizens are constantly running about

Granted tv, movies, games, music all play on our senses and the quick action buzz we get from them.Its like death it is a part of life, but i bet through all these mediums we see so much of it and people dying every week/day.

If everyone took into account all the problems of the world and decided to not make anything , then nothing would get made as it might offend someone eventually. I wont lie your post about this is the first since the game started 2 odd years ago now.

Dont take it the wrong way, I think we all have issues at certain points in our lives, its how we get up and beat them that is a true test of who we are, not what you felt at your lowest. Sounds to me you have won, but remember a dark time in your life if a certain situation presents itself, know that you beat it and thats all that matters right ?

I remember when a certain user on here had a PETA save the animals meltdown rant because he saw a zebra or white tiger skin in a devs lair...now that was taking it way to far.
  7. melvinpox Devoted Player

I guess I don't understand why this is distasteful?
  8. dWI New Player

you realize all those things are crimes on others, while the distressed citizens is you making the decision for that person who has done nothing other than stand on a rooftop. and you decide their fate by just holding a button, that is why on my villains i refuse to interact with them, yet when i see any other villainous deed activity ill go ahead with it.
  9. melvinpox Devoted Player

Disregard...I midunderstood what we are talking about. Yes I agree that the rooftop jumpers are in poor taste. Suicide is not something to be joked about.
  10. Deathmark New Player

Because depression and suicide shouldnt be trivialized i guess?

I dont know. I thought it was a bit strange though that as a villain you can incite them to jump....even if they dont actually die from it. Which is just then...silly...and kind makes it worse...and pointless. But considering the game's rating i find it strnage that this would be in it. Isnt everybody up in arms recently about bullying which is basiclaly inciting peopel to kill themselves? Homeslty i dont think about it playing the game and i suppose it doesnt bother me but if I really think about it, this probably shouldnt be in the game.
    • Like x 1
  11. melvinpox Devoted Player

well said.
  12. Tule New Player

Pushing someone off the roof isn't a crime? Talking someone through and then letting them decide to live isn't helping? Killing cops or blowing up cars isn't deciding the fates of other people based on pushing buttons? You aren't thinking about it clearly because it personally affects you. I see it a lot on a radio show I listen to. "Opie and Anthony" they make a lot of off color jokes, and person A will laugh at a homosexual joke and then be offended by a religious joke. Then person B has the exact opposite reaction. Making fun of homosexuality and religion are both wrong, but if you chose to listen to a radio show that is trivializing a lot of things like that than you aren't really justified in picking and choosing what offends you. Just like if you play an MMO that trivializes various forms of death and mayhem you can't really pick and choose. I might understand if they handled it differently than they do everything else, but they don't.
    • Like x 1
  13. Battle Man Committed Player

Most video games are in poor taste.

Life goes on...
    • Like x 1
  14. recespieces31 New Player

I don't know about poor taste, but maybe most video games lack sensitivity or focus on mature themes that society does not like to talk about...you know?
  15. Battle Man Committed Player

True.

I mean I don't know what's in poor taste about Rapala Pro Bass Fishing.
    But I feel certain that someone somewhere could find something to be offended by in pretty much every game ever made.

People take things pretty personal.
    Which I guess was my point.
  16. Faust74 Loyal Player

Hey, I enjoyed giving them the boot of the top of the building and then jump off with them, only to beat them to bottom lol. Then they complain that someone pushed them lol.
    • Like x 2
  17. Fools Fire Loyal Player

I save them because there's a chance I'll get a Promethium Box out of it. *shrug and laugh*

Mannheim's Chinese Theater - During the Faust /Zatanna confrontation I wish she'd say, "My eyes are up here!"
    League of Assassins - Did he just spit at us?
    Spectre Challenge - Green Lantern, "...Just like old times....?" , Green Arrow, "..........."
  18. BlueVariable Committed Player

I guess it can be seen either way. Perhaps as a villain these people shouldn't be there for us to incite or push off. As a hero I think its a very important aspect to have to choose whether to save them or be indifferent. Personally, every time I come across one I save them because I feel like I can't play the game as a real hero if I don't make the same choice to save someone over and over.

As a villain I can see why the choice is there, but to be able to choose to incite someone to jump is something I would expect in a more mature game. If we can't swear in the chat, we shouldn't be able to help people commit suicide.
  19. risen New Player

I'm sorry but what? I dont find it offensive at all it never crossed my mind as to why they were there.
    Its just a random part of a game and I wouldn't call it in poor taste just a broader horizon. Heroes should be dealing with more than ground and pound circumstances.
  20. Meta Flare New Player

are you serious? iive been suffering from depression since i was 14, (now 24)been hospitalized twice and attempted suicide once and still dont find it offensive. it is a effing video game, relax. i hate how ppl whine about the dumbest crap.

also i realize that got pretty personal for s sec but i hate when people have "issues" with something in a video game.

i read something last week that someone was playing biosock infinite and they quit playing because of the baptism scene and said it was blasphemous and it bothered him too much to keep playing. lighten up people. they are video games. i bet you dont have these reactions to movies that depict the same things . so just stop it.

and as someone else pointed out, as a villain you are killing innocent cops, heroes, civilians. so but because of the way you are killing this one person bothers you cuz you "used to suffer from depression" (i say used to cuz you said that you sufferED, past tense. if im wrong about whether you are still suffering then i apologize about that but nothing else.)
    • Like x 1