Thread about threads...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by melvinpox, May 1, 2013.

1. melvinpox Devoted Player

Sometimes I find myself shocked when a thread doesn't catch on (not mine, just in general)...then I find myself shocked when a thread does catch on (again, not mine, just in general). It really got me thinking, what is it that makes a thread topic take off and what kills it?
    There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
  2. YodaDog New Player

lol.. seems fairly random to me...
    Ive had some great threads (IMO :D) that just died on the vine and nobody cared...
    Then the next day some silly nonsense about "what if the game had Marvel characters and we were all playing every role at once and there was Jedi and Transformers and NO PETS EVAHHHHH!!!" gets like 5 million views, 10 pages of banter and a weigh-in from the devs...

I find it very humorous actually..
    • Like x 2
  3. recespieces31 New Player

That's because no one cares about your Filthy Hero threads...duh! :p
    • Like x 2
  4. YodaDog New Player

:oops: I know... (walks away quietly with head lowered...)
    • Like x 1
  5. Fourth New Player

My threads always last an hour <3
  6. melvinpox Devoted Player

Is that a good thing?
  7. BlueVariable Committed Player

I don't think its incredibly random. At least not completely. There are patterns that match social and personal precepts and these patterns follow any number of varying elements.

For instance, the title itself. If its a simple title, using bold strong words, this can create interest because it feels easier to access. Titles with too many words are sometimes off-putting, or titles that don't make sense or even titles with subjects that don't interest people for any number of reasons.

Another aspect would be the poster themselves. Is it someone you like talking with? Someone who annoys the crap out of you and you'd prefer avoiding or know they have nothing interesting to contribute? Is it someone you enjoy trolling?

Then again there is the subject of the thread itself. A persons mood on a specific day or point in time can determine whether they care or not, perhaps the thread does not allow them to post something utilizing their ego and so they'd prefer not getting involved.

Maybe their fingers are broken...maybe they're on drugs......maybe blue hurts their eyes.....
    • Like x 2
  8. YodaDog New Player

not when it takes him all day to write one! ;)
    • Like x 1
  9. melvinpox Devoted Player

I think you are on the right track here. Title does affect which threads I read. But the number of responses to a thread is definately a factor as well. Lots of responses says to me 'somebody is finding this interesting so I will check it out.'
    Curious how long this thread will last.
    • Like x 1
  10. BlueVariable Committed Player

Definitely. There are lots of factors which determine what threads succeed and which ones die off.
  11. Battle Man Committed Player

Sometimes 90% of the responses are just two dudes doing this though.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  12. melvinpox Devoted Player

Agreed.
    In this particular thread I think you will find people deliberately keeping it going because they will find that humorous. And you will find people deliberately avoiding it because they will find that humorous.
  13. YodaDog New Player

Yea... those are the best... :)
  14. TormentorX Well-Known Player

The best way to keep a thread going is draw CarlynnCarnage into it, then keep her commenting on it, then just wait for the hi-jack:) Then two or three pages later you will get it back and then it will fade away :) LOL I am just messin' with you Madame Carnage, Please don't incinerate me:)
    • Like x 2
  15. The Jeff Well-Known Player

For some reason the title of this thread made me think of Weezer.
    If you want to destroy my sweater
    Pull this thread as I walk away
    • Like x 1
  16. risen New Player

Sometimes I read all the posts or the full thread topic and forget im not logged in so I dont bother logging in to reply because I'm too lazy to go through the hassle on my phone.
    • Like x 1
  17. melvinpox Devoted Player

I will send her a message right now saying you mentioned her name.
    • Like x 1
  18. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

Very funny sir! :p
    • Like x 2
  19. melvinpox Devoted Player

That was quite fun.
  20. TormentorX Well-Known Player

:) I can't say anything, I have been a part of your hi-jacks before. I really like it when you hi-jack your own thread. Good Stuff! :)
    • Like x 1