This game is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ari174, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Ari174 New Player

Okay, so I don't know what weapon to choose first of all. I don't know what to do, what works, what's proper for anything. I want to go healer, but I don't understand how to accomplish that.

Next I HATE...I HATE...I HATE the female character models! They're all TERRIBLE. They're not bad, they're not annoying, THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

Sprites look like freaky little creepy weirdos. Monarch has just ENORMOUS breasts. Who did this? Seriously, how did this even get passed? I don't understand how you could make this game and let that happen??? They are horrendous. Also, the hairstyles SUCK.

Next I want to use handblasters, but everyone says they're bad, pick something else. They're bad? Really? You mean I can't pick what I want because "they're bad". Wow. I'm trying so hard to like this game, but it is driving me mad.
  2. Statman New Player

Hand blasters aren't bad. Many many people just aren't aware of how to use them properly, and if they can't use them properly, it must be bad.

And yes, all the females must have big boobs, coz this is based from comic books, haha.
    • Like x 4
  3. Black Arrowette Well-Known Player

For one, don't listen to anyone who tells you a certain weapon is bad. You use what you feel comfortable with. To go healer you have to choose a power that has the healer ability. The powers that have that are Nature, Sorcery, and Electric(You can only get this one if you're Legendary or have the Lightning Strikes DLC). There are various guides here on the forums for each of those power types to teach you how to heal and spec properly for your role.
    The female character models are a little bit odd, I'll give you that much. I actually like the Sprite models though because of how small tand oddly adorable they are to me. The large breasts on the Monarch body type are pretty much your typical female comic book character breasts. If you've ever picked up a comic book, especially a Power Girl one, you'd notice that. And I agree, the hairstyles suck. Well, some of them do. The Wavy, Pixie, and Metalhead ones are the only ones I'll use.
  4. Dynagirl Committed Player

LOL you think these models are hyper sexualized? Look up Tera or Scarlet Blade for the ridiculousness they have there.
    • Like x 1
  5. Rahiel New Player

Pick whatever weapon you want. You can actually spec into any weapon you want once you gain a few levels; the one you pick at character creation doesn't matter much in the long run. Handblasters are plenty usable.

The female proportions aren't my favorite thing; I know it's the same in comics, but it's kind of weird and creepy there, too. That aside, I do rather like the Mesa build; IMO it looks appropriately "I'm a metahuman powerhouse, I can twist you into a pretzel, I will not be demure".
  6. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

1- If you want to use handblasters, use handblasters. Ignore anyone who says otherwise, they're just projecting their limited ability to play the game and their lack of imagination onto you. Besides, handblasters are good for regenerating your power which is in turn good for healers.

2- If you want to go healer, your power MUST be Electricity, Sorcery or Nature. They are the only powers that will give you the option of healer role. As a healer you will want to focus putting your skill points into Restoration, Critical Heal Chance and Critical Heal Magnitude. There are also two iconic powers you will want that are available at level 22: Empathic Healing and Miracle Worker. If you let us know which power you are, we can point you in the right direction as each power plays differently.

3- The only female body I use is Mesa medium, although the chest area is a little large on that one too :) . As Statman said, this is based on comic books and this is how females are generally portrayed in comic books. Most of the hairstyles do indeed suck.

If you post more details I'm sure people more knowledgeable on the different aspects should be able to help you :)
  7. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

What the hell did I just look at?!
  8. Old Gravyleg New Player

Handblasters put out very low damage compared to the rest of the weapons, but offer the fastest ranged combo rate, which in turn helps you restore your own power faster. For damage, hb is bad. For crowd control and power regen, hb is top notch. They're supposedly getting a buff in the next game update, so they might not be bad at damage for long.

With that said, even if HB was as bad as everyone makes it out to be, there's nothing in this game that requires even close to the utmost efficiency, not to mention your damage as healer will be rather insignificant unless you seriously outgear the rest of your group, so don't let the opinions of tryhards change the way you play.

To become healer, you just reach level 10 and then change role with the T key, or press f1 and click switch role. Almost every spell has two functions, one for when you're in dps role and one for when you're in your power specific role. You can skim through the guide section here to get an idea of what the abilities are like. If you've healed in any other game, you're going to love (or hate) how easy it is in this game. Just about every heal hits your entire group and has respectable range. That's right, you don't even have to select a target, you just press the button and the game decides who needs the health, or just gives it to everyone. I'd recommend choosing nature or electric, because sorc is lacking in many areas, but keep in mind that the majority of electric's heals have much shorter range than nature, but likely restore more health per power spent. Just take a peek in the guide and see if anything catches your interest.

If you play on uspc you can send me an email at Old Gravyleg with your toon name, and I could invite you to a league with some helpful people who like to have fun. I must admit that they're mostly rather foul mouthed and outspoken, so no hard feelings if you decide to pass.

Long story short, if anyone tells you that x weapon is bad or you can't do whatever, tell them stop trying to be so hardcore on a casual man's MMO, because the truth is at this point in the game, anything works.
    • Like x 1
  9. Dynagirl Committed Player

Games created by people who definitely live by the motto "less is more" when it comes to combat gear. :p
  10. Ari174 New Player

All right thanks very much for all your responses. I'll figure something out.
  11. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

I like HBs - I've used them on my trollers, and one healer - and I couldn't care less if people say they're useless. Learn how to use them and if anybody says they're crap, make them eat their words.

As for the models - they are what they are. I've never noticed the breast size of the females, and my main toon doesn't wear anything that accentuates her bust anyway.

And they're probably more realistic than anything by J. Scott Campbell!
  12. Wilder Midnight New Player

i remember how overwhelming it was being a new player. i think i spent about four hours just at character creation agonizing over every little detail.

the best starter advice i can offer is as youre loading up on brainiacs ship, before you even hit your first ad open up your style tab and lock in the look you selected at character creation. if you don't all those gear items you pick up will be auto added to your characters look and who wants to go through the process of coming up with a costume for their toon only to have it change a few minutes into your very first instance?

second if you think you really love the game and plan on investing some time into it take your time getting up to level 30. Pre level 30 content is considered the games "tutorial". be thorough. leveling up to 30 goes by fast. if you give yourself a time frame of a week to two you can finish off all the basic stuff you'll need that will help you later on (i.e. finish up all those feats: contact missions, your first collections and briefings, bounties, hard knocks feats, exploration and booster gold). a good little trick to get yourself a few fast feats is during the game mechanic tutorial on brainiacs ship try to get your hit counter up to 100. its very easy and it will get you a nice starter feat. i actually ran a venageance operation a few nights ago and one of the players in my group popped a basic ten point exploration feat which basically means hes speeding his way to the top by being mediocre and expecting hand outs. dont be that player.

third when you hit level 30 and the real game begins do the same thing: give yourself a little time to get all the basics covered first. look over your mission journal and your feat tab and become familiar with the stuff your need to get ahead. there are tons of feats that are easy to get: get your mentor mission done so you can get your justice league emblem, complete all the classic duos, spotting ambush bug, safehouse style feats, completing 10 duos and alerts, completing all the games classic alerts. the game has changed in that its much easier to get geared up for power. tier 2 and 3 duos and alerts drop weapons and gear that is just as good (and in some cases better) then what you'll end up scoring in t2 and t3 raids. save up your marks of triumph and buy all the faction, t1, t2 and 2.75 gear to get those feats and to get you ready to start running end game content.

i know it sounds like a lot. theres actually lots and lots more (didnt even get into pvp). a little preparation now will make your game life much easier when youre ready to get into the big boy raids...
    • Like x 6
  13. Ari174 New Player

Holy crap that is a lot lol. Well I have some friends playing with me so I'll just take it slow and bug them with lots of questions. :p I ended up making a character that I like the way she looks so I'm happy now.
  14. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

If I could like WIlder's post more than once I would - if only for the tip about locking the styles.!
  15. Faust74 Loyal Player

I 100% Agree! The Devs have no Respect... for us Men that prefer a nice curvy butt on a woman!
    • Like x 5
  16. Prindacerk Committed Player

I liked it on your behalf. :)
    • Like x 1
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

One thing to keep in mind with the character models and artwork in the game is that Jim Lee oversaw a lot of that. If you've ever seen his artwork, you'll understand why certain things look the way they do in this game. :D

Other than that, everyone else has pretty much covered it. The only one I'd harp on is using the weapon you like and feel most comfortable with. There are weapons out there that some will say are must-haves, but if you aren't comfortable using them or can't get into the combat rhythm (for lack of a better term) that's needed for the weapon, there's really no reason to have it.

Unless you're going for the stat mods in that weapon's tree, of course. LOL
  18. Marykate&ashley New Player

If this your first mmo like for many others on the ps3 it is hard too play with others paying with your hard earn money but yet taking every one elses advice but thats the chance you take with all mmo's.Use weapon u like but may be range since healers are weaker and watch others health bars then relese heals.start with pratice with easy alerts and duos then try raids in time. raids is where the marks are at.Also too me its better too make a dps or healer because then youll have dps gear healer and pvp gear.But just my own opinion i knew a few healers who did dps and so on.And really the only thing they got were more skill points like 109 in 6 months playing 8 hrs a day.
  19. Lwee New Player

Srsly, what's up with that? :p
  20. T20thoughts New Player

Handblasters aren't great for DPS, but they actually fit the healer role pretty well. They have different types of stun, so when you're fighting a single target you can keep your opponent stunlocked by mixing them up.

As has been pointed out, in group content your damage won't matter as much as your ability to keep your combo count up, and handblasters are great both for that and for stunning an enemy... which is the next best thing to killing the enemy. And since you can do it from a distance, that's even better for the healer role, since you're squishy.