The New Normal?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLorax, Aug 15, 2023.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We saw only two new episodes for 2022 and now confirmed only two episodes for 2023. Should we expect three episodes in 2024 or is two new episodes a year the new normal?
    • Like x 3
  2. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I prefer quality over quantity. I might be making a fallacy, but I believe more time will equate to a better quality DLC. If so, the 2 per year is fine with me.
    • Like x 6
  3. Jcal Dedicated Player

You know what's certainly not normal? Releasing two new game clients in a given year. It's pretty spelled out now, that the priority for 2023 has been, and continues to be, the release of DCUO on PS5 and Xbox Series. Along with that, we have these teased gameplay and QoL changes that are anyone's guess. That's a full meal on their plate. 2024 will be a very different year, one that might actually clue us in on DCUO's new normal.

That is, of course, if they don't suddenly start developing a Switch 2 client - said device speculated to be releasing sometime next year - and prioritize that work over everything else, lmao!
    • Like x 8
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Weren't you just on another thread saying how the raid is just a big transparent box? (which no doubt....it is)

I'm for quality over quantity too, I'm not sure I'd define Static Shock as 'quality' though. It was more of a filler episode that got promoted to a 1/2 year run.
    • Like x 12
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

No offense to the idea and switch users, but developing a switch 2 client and further alienating the far larger PC/PS and even Xbox communities who'd rather see those QOL changes, or more/better content....is a bad move.

The switch community is (I'd wager) the lowest of all the communities we have. I'd assume a greater chance they fold up shop rather than working on a new client.
    • Like x 3
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

It is just a big transparent box - very, very disappointing, as is the whole Shock to the System DLC to me. I do not think it was in development as long as Justice League Dark Curses is going to be, which I hope will mean it is going to be a quality release.
    • Like x 3
  7. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Especially given the loss of staff over the the last twelve months, and the recruitment/integration of replacements.
    • Like x 1
  8. Popeyes Active Player

They better not mess up that new dlc because JLD is one of my favorite episodes plus the elite raids in that dlc are amazing, so I hope they actually work really hard on the raid and I HOPE that the elite version is actually good
    • Like x 1
  9. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I feel like the recent episodes have about a 1-2 month lifespan. 4-5 weeks to finish elite renown and complete the elite gear set during the first bonus week. Then another month or so to finish the OP piece and work on elite renown for alts (if you have alts). If we only get 2 episodes, that's about 8 months with not much to do. Which we have been stuck with after shock DLC until they finally release STU.
    If they had something like STU or SM between episodes more often it might be OK, but these episodes need to be a lot better then they are now.

I think Amazon Fury Pt. 3 is a good standard for a twice per year episode. These recent episodes are done after 2 months unless you have alts (which I do, just finished OP chest on 3rd alt).
    • Like x 5
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'd agree. AF3 was the standard as far as I'm concerned. Moderately easy duo, interesting alert and 2 good raids as well as some amount of OW busy work, without it being mind numbing. I think the fact that those dailies changed was a part of that. The new system of it's always the same 3 missions makes it more mind numbing.
    • Like x 4
  11. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I think one of the best episodes after AF3 was Justice League Dark, so hopefully they take some inspiration. Although the platforming on Shattered Gotham raid was a nightmare, the boss fights in elite raids were pretty good. If the new DLC only has 1 raid again, I hope it's more like 6th dimension elite (minus that final boss fight), and not like the current raid.

If they are serious about only 2 episodes per year I think they need to invest is making better content, plus giving us things like STU and SM in between.
    • Like x 2
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I believe in quality over quantity as well but if we're getting the same quality and less quantity, that's not good.
    • Like x 4
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I can't be too mad at SttS because it introduced a lot of new black heroes and villains. There are some aspects of this episode I would have done differently for sure.
    • Like x 3
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I dont want them to rush content either but this is ridiculous. I have spent months getting the old league back together and growing the new members. now we are all done with current episode nothing left to purchase no gear to obtain. and seasonals are the last thing that keeps player retention...

we are allready struggling to get people to log in with nothing to run and now they announce we arent getting new content until October!!! I guess all my work was in vein the group will all move on to other things with out a reason to log..

this is unacceptable and a lesson in how to lose players.. give them nothing of note to do guess what they leave.
    • Like x 2
  15. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

This is a true statement too. I don’t want to believe Daybreak / Dimensional Ink is the kind of company that thinks so little of their customers to do such a thing to us.
  16. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

You can still go back on work on any missing feats from Sins of Black Adam or Death Metal Washington, plus there is Omni (although I prefer not to participate in for my own reasons). As a league you could set a night for doing special feat runs too.

It really is as fun or not as we chose to make it. StU is suppose to ideally be a break in the monotony of SttS, and I’m sure there are some who enjoy it.

I would encourage you to encourage your league to not become disenchanted just yet. In my league, we can spend literally hours just hanging out enjoying each other’s company and talking without ever running a single mission.
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You're getting a up to two open world bosses, a solo, alert and one raid to play from October to probably April...
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Well, you might be willing to give them a pass on just that, but many would not. Yeah, the new characters and location were nice after a glut of the same metal/Dark Knights we saw for what....6 years? Just seems like it I guess. But it's the content that is lacking to me. OW bounty rotation to keep us busy, an ok Duo (1 boss at least) a boring 'busy work' alert and 1 room raid just was kind of meh.

I think the story was kind of slim too. I don't know if anyone really cared about Desaad and even Static and Rocket seem kind of confused in the raid as to what's going on. Ebon is the most interesting villain and he flips at the end of the duo (as our villains often do nowadays). And the F5? Chemo? I still don't know how they fit into things. They are kind of just there.

Again, some new blood was nice, but I think they could have made the episode storytelling better to get us more invested in them. For those who didn't know Milestone, I'm not sure anyone would now be hooked on the characters/story.
    • Like x 1
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

On the upside we have all of September to play Baldur's Gate.
    • Like x 2
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I would have taken out Fearsome Five and thrown some more Apokolyptians in to solidify the story. I love the arena style raids but that raid was just meh. Alert was too much hallway. The duo was perfect.
    • Like x 2