DPS absence of Dominance stat confusion.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Mar 26, 2023.

1. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

I don't know if Dominance makes crowd control stronger. You're either under the suggested Dominance treshold, when you can't CC, or over - when you can. And it does different things for different tank powersets - gives extra defense to Earth tanks, extra health to Rage tanks, extra heals to Atomic.
  2. Drathmor Unwavering Player

to be able to play how we want say we want to still dps in heal gear or heal in dps gear having all the stats in varying amounts gives you more leverage to min max or balance your stats how you want them
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Crowd control is your Dominance stat versus the enemy's Willpower stat, which is an invisible stat on our end. If your Dominance is higher than an enemy's Willpower than your CC will be successful. There's also CC immunity which protects enemies from being CC'd too often. This would trigger constantly if the tank, the troll AND the DPS were all using successful CC abilities. Raids would become chaos.
    • Like x 1
  4. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yes, that's what I meant by the "treshold", although I didn't know that's what the stat was called, and I wasn't sure, if different adds in the same instance have different Willpower. My point was - once you're above the Willpower of the target, more Dominance doesn't make the CC effect "stronger".

I'm aware of the CC immunity thing - my first post in this thread said exactly that, as an explanation for why DPS gear doesn't have Dominance, which is what the discussion is meant to be about. Thread probably could have ended there, but everyone seemed to be more interested in repeatedly correcting someone's misconception about aggro, than the topic at hand. :)
    • Like x 1
  5. BumblingB I got better.

I don't remember what update this was, but they added restoration and vitalization to our gear stats to offset the way they scaled your passive abilities. This was like preAM? or start of AM? Somewhere around there. (I'll be honest, it could be during stat flattening, cr differential days too... It's been so long.) At the time, tanks were the only ones that really benefited from Dominance stat. Where all players could benefit from a bump in Restoration to help with powers that do heal or your in combat regeneration of power. At the time, your in combat regen was based off your Vit stat with weapon combos only. Fast forward to now, post revamp, your regen is based on your power pool's maximum. Restoration can still help all players though.

That is to say, dom can't "hurt" your player as a DPS, but it really wont benefit much in the role you are playing, where vit can to a degree. (Personally, changing it from Vit to Power would be better now.) As far as restoration, would help solo/duo play.

Oh and Dom plays no role in aggro/hate. It plays every role in whether you can crowd control an enemy and your tank role. Which is why controllers have it as a stat. Having a higher dom than the enemy, means you can CC them. Which is why it doesn't really help a DPS, because even if you stacked full dom in your gear, mods, etc, you wouldn't reach the threshold for alerts and raids. Solo and duo content has no dom check, so you can CC enemies that allow for it. (I know this was more directed to the other person in the thread and not you per se. Just wanted to include it a bit as well.)
    • Like x 2
  6. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Wouldn't that also apply to the Dominance stat then? If that was truly the case then we technically were locked out of a hybrid playstyle when it comes to a DPS who can Heal or Tank at the same time.
  7. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I appreciate it. I asked not quite because of the DPS damage but the hybrid options that would be available to us if we had the Dominance stat on our DPS gear. Example would be the mixture of restoration and dominance to give a DPS stronger shields or potentially bigger heals. It would be a DPS with self sustaining capabilities. That would be extremely fun to play with especially if a group healer or tank temporarily goes down.
  8. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

You know, that you can battle tank, battle heal, or battle troll, right? This game is already called "DPS Universe Online" and you expect roles to be made even less necessary and therefore less common and harder to find when you need them? You were already told why you can't have more Dominance on DPS gear and that - if you want - you can get enough Dominance using augments and OP gear and consumables to make your "hybrid" build, that will pull adds away from the tank and give them crowd control immunity until you get kicked from the instance for making it more difficult. Or did you not even bother reading this thread?

Do you think the devs forgot to put Dominance on DPS gear, or that they omitted it to spite you and spoil your fun? Lol...
  9. Proxystar #Perception

When you build a battle role you have to choose how you're going to build your character, support gear will typically have higher support based stats such as restoration, dominance, vitalization and so forth, this is by design.

the damage gear has much higher might and precision, again by design.

You can already easily facilitate a battle build using either a mixture of gear or a complete set of either damage or support gear, I typically wouldn't recommend mixing unless you actually know what you're doing just so as to avoid confusion if battle builds are new to you.

Depending on the type of gear you've chosen you'll then need to balance your stats out in other fields to achieve the desired balance between survival attributes or damage attributes.

For example if you've chosen to use damage gear you might then put on all dominance augments and/or set your skill points mostly into dominance and health, if you've chosen support gear you might use might or precision augments for example.

The artifacts and allies you choose can then also significantly impact your play style in a battle build, more healing and survival with things like a lazarus pit, manacles or clarion, or, more damage with something like a trans card, strategist card and quislet or a combination of if you're after better balance.

Battle building your character is an art, it is about finding a balance between all your stats so as to make a character robust for all encounters but slightly compromised in each respect. i.e. not as survivable as a pure tank, but not as weak in damage output either, killing things will take you longer than if you were pure damage, but you won't die.

The gear has the status it has by design, you then just work with it all to find that balance and it can be done with any power in the game whether they be healer, controller or tank.

Perfecting this type of build is incredibly beneficial in content like omnibus where the more damage output you have even with increased survival the easier content will be, especially random content and also including clamped feat hunting, you imagine the difference in a group burn check feat if you as the tank are putting out nearly as much damage as a DPS while still tanking ;)
    • Like x 1
  10. BumblingB I got better.

DPS shields will not be very strong, even in a situation where you specced full Defense and Restoration. A lot of the benefits of the role stats have to do with being in the role. Controllers for example, the defense stat is doubled IIRC. So if they were full controller gear, they would get a lot of shield strength. On the other hand, if you were DPSing in control gear, your strength of shield would go up, but only so much. Your damage would suffer tremendously.

Again, there is no real loss if you spec into the role stats as a DPS, just you don't really ever benefit from what those stats provide.

A shield on a DPS load out is great in situations for pickups and solo/duo play, as enemy damage is proportionally lower and it can be a life or death situation, but in group play you would be better letting the support roles help keep you alive.

I do understand what you are saying, though. I will sometimes slot a shield for a don't die feat of an elite solo/duo.
    • Like x 1
  11. Drathmor Unwavering Player

IM gonna say no as i don understand your point. but I clearly can hybrid role both tank or healer and have so for years on anything that I could get away with it on
  12. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I remember a while ago there was a statement saying that support roles no longer take a heavy nerf when dealing damage. Was it minus ten percent on damage or more?
  13. Proxystar #Perception

I don't believe it's a thing anymore and I use all tank gear in my battle build and routinely out damage lots of people including DPS, or close to it in battle tank role unless they're a super sweaty player in which case I'd be expecting that anyway.

I've also routinely had people complain that my battle tank build is 'tantamount to cheating in omnibus' given how robust it is that I'm told I'm not "allowed to use it" because it skews perception of balance so heavily 'apparently' lol, so it reassures me that I'm on the right track with my build :D :D

If you want any help with a build let me know :)
  14. BumblingB I got better.

This was changed around 2012~13. Also, DPS don't get varying buffs based on attacks either, just a flat 10% increase for being in role.