DEV can you explain why you no longer add new powers or if this has changed?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tolly, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Tolly Committed Player

Could we have the reason why we don't have any new power anymore? Or even never had new abilities for the existing ones?

Since the release of the game, we still have the same abilities on the powers, why not add some new ones to give a refreshing side to this side of the game?

The heal lantern is the power that people are asking for the most and as you can see, it doesn't seem to bother players to have 2 powers based on the heal released in a row, couldn't it be some kind of gift for the players? I myself am looking forward to this one!
  2. Eve YouTuber

[IMG]

This was a comment in the official discord a year ago. Not sure if anything changed. Was during "Ask DCUO" (Thanks BumblingB for the screenshot) but this is what they usually say, I think Panderus also said it this year on the forums but I can't find it right now.
    • Like x 4
  3. Omega91 Well-Known Player

Zoe has answered well, I would add that new powers tend to switch up the entire meta sometimes and it's why they might be a little cautious when it comes to new powers.
    • Like x 3
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s not as simple as “people want it so give it to them”.. they are using material from an actual source material. They have limitations to what they are allowed to do. There are no other lanterns who can fit into both villains and heroes. They also do not have 2 lanterns who function the same way to allow for 2 different corps for the same power the way they did with green lanterns and the sinestro corps. They would essentially have to make 2 different powers and then have 1 be exclusive for heroes and one for villains. You actually believe THIS community would be ok with that?

On top of that they also stated before that they couldn’t add more powers because of limitations from old consoles (ps3) at that time. Any changes they make have to be able to be done in all platforms the game supports. Currently that would be switch. They can’t have updates that some can’t get access too. Even the delay switch gets for episode launches causes huge issues from the switch community.

Then you also have balance issues.
  5. BumblingB I got better.

You are welcome.

These were also responses. One from the same day the other a couple months later.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I want them to bring back some form of interaction with the devs. At least bring back #askdcuo. That was at least helpful. The Discord needs love too.
    • Like x 3
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I wanted to point out that this isn't true. They have in the past added powers or replaced powers to existing powersets.

If and when they do start building new powersets the first one will more than likely be a Controller powerset. The pattern has almost always been Control -> Heal -> Tank:

(Control) Light
    (Heal) Electric
    (Tank) Earth

(Control) Quantum
    (Heal) Celestial
    (Tank) Rage

(Control) Munitions
    (Heal | Tank) Atomic - originally a Heal powerset changed to Tank when Serums was cancelled
    (Tank) Serums - cancelled due to demand for Water
    (Heal) Water
  7. BumblingB I got better.

I'd have to go about the reason, but I vaguely remember two answers to why it was cancelled.
    1. Drug addiction.
    2. It was uninteresting of a powerset.
    I feel like option 2 was more likely the culprit, but I'd have to go do my search and I feel it was mentioned in a Spytle stream, not on the forums. And I don't feel like doing that at all.
    And yeah, IF they followed their own set, it would be controller, but I doubt it would follow it. They will just release whatever fits what they want to sell at the time.
    I hope they would get into the balancing and what not soon, as it would be good for current game if they do. Unfortunately with the staffing issue, I bet that would be pushed back quite a bit and they are focusing on content right now.
  8. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I actually never heard the 2nd reason you mentioned. I could be mistaken but the 2 reasons I heard the most were because of how “druggy” serum was and because it was a grappling based power. And at the time they couldn’t get the grappling to work because of tech limitations.
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I don't remember the tech limitations part, I just vaguely remember them saying something about since it's mostly grappling, it was not visually interesting. I could be misremembering and confusing it with something else as I also remember that EQ Next was nixed because the higher ups looked at it and said it was uninteresting and then killed it.

But yeah, drug addiction was definitely one that was being thrown around on the forums.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I'm sure the grappling mechanic or whatever was the underlying reason for them to postpone Serums, however they had a public poll on Twitter asking do we want to see Serums or Water. Water won and Serums was put on hold and then inevitably canceled. The "drug addiction" excuse I believe is just something someone made up like the whole "Dominance affects aggro" myth. I should like to point out that there are many drug related references already in the game and we have Neo-Venom Boost...
  11. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. PolarisSylar Committed Player

perhaps the dcuo devs this time aroud have : have new goals about the “ powers “.
    Just maybe.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Yeah, it's been a while and I know that the addiction was what was thrown around on the forums and I was pretty sure it was something else. I remember that poll, but I think that poll was rigged anyways and they had planned cancelling it.

In the end, it's gone.

I really think they should expand the iconics tree while they balance. That way we can do more unique things with our powersets.
    • Like x 2
  14. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, I think they scrapped it because of what they were trying to do just not working. However, I do think that if/when they ever get an opportunity, they could maybe try revisiting it from a new angle. That could be interesting. TBH, though, I'd rather see something a little broader like "Chemist" or something so you can use it for Bane-type characters but also can use it for characters that use chemistry like Honey Lemon or whatever her name was or even characters that use both.
  15. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Yea I remember that the drug thing was mostly he said she said. It was mostly the grappling thing that I remember mostly.
  16. Atrocuis_ Well-Known Player

Man People Wouldn't Even Complain About How Sermuns Would Have Been Looked At

I Mean What Are They 12 On The Game P-Lease Lol
    Everyone That Has Played This Game Long Enough Knows How The Community Works & Has A Good Estimate Of Age

But Anyways

Serums Would Forsure Have Been A Great / Fun Power Set
    To Of Had In The Game. Like Someone Posted Above Maybe & A Big MAYBE

If They Decide To Go Back
    Reworki It To Something That Can Be Both With The Same Meaning With A Twist

Thank You For Your Time
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I am not sure if you are aware but with English you do not have to capitalize the first letter of every word. It makes it very difficult to read what you post.
    • Like x 2
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Chronologically, there's a wide variety of ages in the game, I'd imagine.

Going by chat conversations I've seen in open world and hub areas, though? Let's just say I find myself questioning the emotional ages and maturity levels of some, regardless of whatever their chronological age might be.

And no, this isn't directed at you or anyone specifically, just an observation of what I've seen in game.
    • Like x 2
  19. Wallachia Devoted Player

I like how Tolly is so creative he invents his fanfics in his head.

Too bad he shares them with us here.
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

There were a few reasons why Serums was scrapped. Part of it was design and gameplay stuff, but part of it was also definitely the drug-adjacent stuff. There was a lot stacking up against it.

The earlier answers are correct, in that making a new power is in itself a big undertaking that relatively few people end up using. It also adds to any future work that touches powersets or balance and the like.

We don't have any plans right now for making more powers. We do see the interest, though, and the idea is regularly revisited.
    • Like x 11