Why are players new to content "idiots" for not knowing mechanics or bugs?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Aug 22, 2022.

1. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I've noticed a growing trend over the past month of players who know mechanics calling other members of the group idiots for not knowing. I've been lumped into that group twice in the past month, once for not knowing that the nightmare bats would be invulnerable when hit by powers or pets, and once as a tank in a group of players running the BoP: The Clock Tower raid in the room where players have to match the server terminals to the main terminal symbol (took me a minute to figure that out without any guidance). The first time, I joked back, "This idiot wasn't spamming Barbatos the first weekend, so he didn't know. Care to explain what the issue is that you're referring to with the nightmare bats to me and anyone else who doesn't know?"

The second time, I held my tongue since I was tanking and it didn't really apply to me. I was grabbing the enemies, but the rest of the group was focusing on the enemies and not the terminals, so we missed the third or fourth sequence. After the person said, "Idiots. Ignore the enemies and do the mechanics," we had no trouble despite the vague instructions. That leads to my internal question I had at the time:

Are new players who don't know the mechanics the idiots, or are the people who fail to explain the mechanics ahead of time the idiots?

I prefer not to call anyone an idiot, but if people are going to voice their frustrations by tearing down the group when they're probably more at fault for the failures, it seems more fitting to apply those terms to themselves. I also imagine it's a bit detrimental to cohesiveness to start calling teammates names. And I'm sure I'll get some people who believe people should watch videos or read guides before running the content, and I did so back in 2013 when there was less content to learn that way.

These days, most videos I find have very little useful commentary and are 20-30 minutes long. I used to prefer reading guides for that reason, but I can usually only find some information here on the forums via FAQ type posts. Written guides and walkthroughs seem to be a thing of the past.

TLDR: With the large amount of content to learn and Omnibus making that learning opportunity random, are people who don't know mechanics the first try at fault for group failures, or are members of the group who fail to share that information more at fault?
    • Like x 5
  2. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone insulting somebody else is an idiot. If one doesnt explain mechanics to players they dont know, they cant expect them to know. Players that havent played a certain piece of content are also idiots if they clearly have no clue and only say that its their 1st time after getting insulted and have to justify their actions.

Insulting anyone is never the right thing to do regardless.
    • Like x 4
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I believe there should be an expectation that will be true of at least a couple players in the group in any content unless run with friends or league-mates who geared up together. I do not consider players who failed to tell the group that they were new idiots. I've seen players kicked for telling the group they're new to content, so being abused by the community tends to make people less forthcoming about their lack of knowledge.

Also, the piece I highlighted confuses me when surrounded by the preceding and following statements.
    • Like x 1
  4. Boss Dark Side Well-Known Player

The default is definitely "you're an idiot" rather than "this must be your first time in this content."

Unfortunately, how people treat each other is a problem in a walks of life, not just here. Can't stop people from being a-holes if that's what they choose.
    • Like x 1
  5. GermanM Committed Player

Those who believe themselves better than others in knowledge are the idiots. I cannot expect someone new know mechanics so i have to explain. Even some only people unterstend the game after a few wipes xD.
    But i believe is still normal.

I wanna mention the people who, afer a single wipe they leave. Is like... come on dude.

But well, people are too busy thinking they are pro´s and forget that this is only a game and cooperation is the key to do instances.
    • Like x 1
  6. Irvynnge Loyal Player

right off the bat, " hi. first time in. is there anything I need to know? " if they don't tell you about something coming up that requires you to do a thing, they don't get to whine if it all goes pete tong. communication is key. & manners. manners helps.

( although, to be fair, I've been in this game long enough to know that it doesn't hurt to check out a video of the content first, if you can ).
    • Like x 3
  7. jolaksi Well-Known Player

And then there are people who you ask them if its their 1st time or explain a raid/boss mechanic. They say NOTHING even if you ask or they are the reason of the wipe. And then they say "bro I didnt know the mechanic. its my first time. my bad." They just hope for a carry, ignore the things you explained and let others do the work. I call these individuals idiots and it 100% satisfies me.

Also there are players who call you "Okay nerd" when you explain a crucial raid mechanic even if nobody asked. So you dont wipe and dont waste time in content.

Humans are interesting.
    • Like x 1
  8. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

In my opinion. anyone who feels the need to insult a person over a game, has bigger problems to worry about than the GAME.
    • Like x 4
  9. jolaksi Well-Known Player

The situation I gave example of is not a need. Its a necessity for that individual so they can see their fault and get better. Yeah it might not be in good words but I'm doing them a favor in a different sense.
  10. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I forgot to make clear that this only applies when the player that didnt know mechanics is insulting back, expecting veterans to explain everything beforehand.
    Generally it shouldnt be the norm to say "Im new, explain me mechanics" but also for verterans to always explain mechanics, since many get annoyed and most times its not even that important.
    • Like x 1
  11. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

A growing trend? My friend this has been happening in every video game ever since the inception of online gaming.
    • Like x 4
  12. Operation Failure Well-Known Player

Depends on the content. If big red words telling you to do something doesn't help then yeah, they're 100% idiots. I tried pugging sm r1 for fun and there's always that one player who refuses to block when told.
    • Like x 2
  13. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Oh, the irony... Because THAT'S NOT EVEN HOW IT WORKS lmaooo XD
    • Like x 4
  14. Hraesvelg Always Right

It goes back to, essentially, the origins of human interaction. We all have a sense of ego and most of us inherently have an intuition that it is zero sum game. It isn't necessarily a correct intuition, but some cultures tend to place a premium on honor. Tearing down others boosts that sense, especially if you have insecurities in the area in question. You can think of it as a sort of dominance hierarchy sorting itself out. One reason why it's MUCH more prevalent online is that you lack the ability to punch that person right in the mouth, which tends to lessen the behavior in live-person interactions. You can always tell the kid at the bar that has never had his bell rung...he talks the most trash.

tl;dr: Primates gonna primate, yo.
    • Like x 2
  15. ArtemisWonderWoman7 Well-Known Player

I personally alway watch a video of any new content i haven't ever run cause I don't want to personally responsible 4 any wipes. I understand if its a single player game but this is a mmo and if you don't want to be called a idiot watch the test server video and your good. Take source wall its been out 4 months and players still don't block on last boss but I blame this on event mode leaving the door open should be all you need but they made it so you could ignore all mechanics in the fight including the 1 that will piss off any player if your running reg. There is also the unspoken rule in mmo's that is if you don't know what it does don't touch it and clock tower has me yelling this every time
    • Like x 2
  16. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

My personal favorite is when people write "mechanics!" after a wipe like it somehow helps someone. THAT is stupid.

Oh yeah! There are mechanics! I guess I should do them. Thanks, dude.
    • Like x 2
  17. |The 3rror Committed Player

not insulting anyone but if the content been out for quite some time let’s say 4/5months and you play the game on the daily and run the content everyday/every thursday(raids) you should definitely know the mechs no excuses whatsoever if you new to the game or returning player that prob skipped the Episode then i agree with you on top of that some content literally put in bold letter to block/avoid mechanics
    • Like x 2
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Unfortunately the dcuo community does lean on the toxic side. So many unfortunately talk down to others for not knowing mechanics or for not being “beast”.

However I will say that at the same time there is a large percentage of the player base who does not listen to mechanics and is just bad. This further feeds into the toxicity of the community.
    • Like x 4
  19. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

Honest answer? People are jerks and knock others down to prop themselves up.
    • Like x 5
  20. nawanda Loyal Player

It’s because the community is full of kids who don’t know any better. The default ‘omg’ and ‘bruh’ when anyone makes a mistake through to the comments the OP describes.
    • Like x 2