It's time for an honest conversation Devs - What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

He's from the future.
    • Like x 4
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

So DCUO survives for another few years?
    • Like x 2
  3. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Hey, he's MrSuperman. Nothing is impossible for him.
  4. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

I think my biggest problem with the game at the moment is just the sheer repetition of the content. I am soooooo fed up with the constant dailies-duo-alert repetition that we do every. single. day. It's lonely, monotonous and mind numbingly dull. I'm finding myself playing less and less these days because I literally start falling asleep after only 10 minutes of playing! The recycled maps and dungeons isn't so much of an issue to me, it's more the repetitive nature of the same old, same old, every single day. I don't feel like I'm playing a game to have fun anymore, I feel like I'm ticking boxes. The only (slightly) interesting part of the week is Thursday, because at least I can do one raid and a couple of weekly bounties, but then it's just back to the boring daily grind for the rest of the week!

I know this is a highly contentious thing to say, but I actually REALLY miss the bounty farming episodes (WV and Legion). I know they were not to everyone's liking, but to me, it felt like something new, like the game had finally taken a step forward. Ok, it may have been a slightly wobbly step, but it was a step nonetheless. At least we had actually finally moved forward after so many years stood still. The devs tried something new, tried to shake up the boring 'standard' that we had all gotten used to (and tired of), and the game actually felt more alive than it had in years!
    There were always large groups of players working together, populating the open worlds, teaming up to do the raids, chatting with each other while they waited for bosses to spawn, setting up impromptu 'bases' using bots and workstations so people could scrap gear, check the broker, use the bank etc without having to leave the phase.
    There were new systems in place like Elite jewellery and weapons to farm for, for people who don't like doing Elite content, style items, generator mods and OP items to farm for. I have fond memories of spending hours with the same group of people, just kicking back, chatting away and beating up bosses. It was fun, and relaxed, and gave me reason to stay on the game!

Sadly though, we took a giant step back after those episodes, because (and this is my other big problem with this game....) there are a relatively small number of very noisy clout chasers on these forums who very loudly let the devs know that they didn't want bounty farming to return. Ever. It seems like they scared the devs off from ever trying anything different ever again. Because of that push-back, the devs caved and we went back to the old style of episode, and now we're stuck in that boring old daily-duo-alert cycle.

These people just love being the centre of attention and seemingly want everything on the forums to be about them. Want everything their own way. Want their voices heard above all else and will shout down any dissenting opinions. Sadly, these are the people the devs see and hear from the most often because they're usually the first people to reply to every thread, and the most active too. That's why I lay the blame solely on them as to the reason why this game has become so stagnant. Because any time the devs try anything slightly different, out come the forum egotists to tell them "NO. WE DON'T WANT IT!", as if they speak for the entire community.
    Just to be clear, if anyone is reading this and takes this as a personal attack, then yeah....I'm probably talking about you! You are the problem. You are killing this game! You are stifling any growth or evolution that this game might have had, because you don't want (and won't allow) the devs to change anything. Ever.

If this game is not allowed to grow and evolve, it will die!

I don't want this game to die. I love the game. I want it to get better!
    • Like x 2
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I actually liked wonderverse bounties as well but I really hated legions. Simple reason too. The dailies lined up with the bounties. I’d do one roatation a day per toon while knocking out dailies. I’d farm them on my main but would just do an extra 2 or 3 per day to not get burnt out. And that’s the problem the devs face: the player base. The devs have to add counter feats to keep players coming back. But the players decide that they want to do it all asap and get burnt out. The counters were high, not gonna argue that. Should have been like 50 and then things on vendor would dictate how far a player chooses to go for the grind. I miss the elite jewelry. It was new and different. I do think they’ll come back tho in another dlc.
  6. Max Maximus Well-Known Player

I liked the conclusion of the Metal arc. I really enjoyed the two versions of Washington DC. Enjoy the open world so much for references, bounties and feats. I also liked Duo, Alert and Raid.

Honestly the DLC I didn't like was Metal Part 1.

We have different opinions and views on the game, but I think there was an effort on the part of the developers. And they delivered a very good product in my opinion.
    • Like x 1
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I really appreciate the candid and constructive criticism. We share a lot of your frustrations and a lot of your ideas and wishes. I'm not going to go too deep into a response here - maybe our next dev update instead - but I will say:
    • We realize how threading a storyline through so many episodes hasn't quite worked and I don't think we'll do that in this way again.
    • We have been working hard through a firehose of challenges over the last few years. I'm really proud of what these years have looked like overall, and especially proud of the content in this episode and the *unprecedentedly clean* launch. Do I wish we had two raids and the like? Yes, of course, but it doesn't take away from what is there.
    • When it comes to re-used assets or too much of this kind of style but not this other or we went to this location before or the base items - some of this is just reality (and I swear we make brand new assets that people think are reused because they are made in the same engine) for how games are made, and some of this is a resource problem.
      • We are a little short staffed right now and we're hiring. We need some environment artists, like real bad. Please tell your friends to apply or go learn to art real quick so we can hire you. More job postings are going up soon.
      • PRO TIP: have your friends include in their app that *I* referred them. They will go right to the top of the list and I'll get that sweet, sweet referral bonus. Win win!
    • Like x 25
  8. zNot Loyal Player

Will you guys hire more then 6 to 7 devs? Or how many will it be? Since you say „more job postings are going up soon“

Last time i checked the webiste you were hiring 6 to 7 people the ones that charon confirmed and went into detail about it.
  9. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

Yeah I did like that the WV bounties lined up with the dailies. Like you, I'd always do a boss rotation while I knocked out my dailies. Why not, eh? Might as well while I'm here lol

For me though, I actually preferred Legion to WV. Reason being, when WV first came out, there were a lot of people (myself included) who thought "I have to get these counter feats and everything else done asap, or else there'll be no-one farming these bosses after a month and I'll never get it done", so I grinded the heck out of it, every day for a few weeks and ended up absolutely hating the grind. However, I don't mind admitting that I was totally wrong on that assumption though. There was always groups farming bosses. I still see people farming those bosses to this day!

So, knowing that, I took Legion at a more relaxed pace and I was much more chilled about the grind, and I enjoyed it a lot more!

Even got a ton of alts levelled up during that one too! One of the biggest criticisms I kept hearing was how "bad" those bounty farming episodes were for alts, but I actually thought they were brilliant for that! You could buy scaling purple gear with the secondary currency, and I power levelled a ton of low level alts up to end game level just by using them every now and then and beating up bosses for a couple of hours. It was great! (especially during double currency weeks lol)
    If anything, Legion was too good for my alts! By the end of the DLC I must have had about 20 characters at end game CR, and it's been an absolute nightmare trying to keep them all up to speed since! Think I ended up with about 10 characters or more decked out with the elite jewellery by the end of it too. I was kind of gutted when I finally had to get rid of those items on my lesser used characters. They'll probably never see elite gear ever again lol (I'm certainly not taking my Nature toon with 77SP into elite content anytime soon lol)
    • Like x 1
  10. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Yeah I don’t know why I didn’t like legion as much but I was annoyed that they didn’t line up with dailies so it felt like a step back. And agreed to the grind comments. I have friends that knock out counters day 1 and I don’t always. And they ask why and I tell them “math”. If I have to do it weekly then that’s 5 months of once a week. So I adjust accordingly to the counter. Maybe I do it twice a week. Maybe 4 if it’s a really high counter. As long as content is within 2 years old, it will always be doable.
    • Like x 1
  11. Mister Hando Active Player

In the latest DLC, I really prefer World of Flashpoint.
    Thanks for your answer Mepps. It is good to know the Blizzard Staff always take care of the customers thinking.
  12. Eve YouTuber

This is Daybreak\Dimensional Ink, not Blizzard...
    • Like x 3
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The problem is that players always flock to the Meta/Flavor of the month. That's a damn near impossible thing to fix short of starting the whole thing from scratch.
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Where the hell did you get 200+ extra skill points from??? o_O The game currently has 700 and change max.
    • Like x 2
  15. Proxystar #Perception

I don't think so necessarily. If you buff some powers up you'll create some natural variety.

Take just one example being 100 cost power moves, not all of them have the same animation times, not all of them are even of the same equal strength, if you made some of them closer by buffing them and/or made the ones with longer animation times stronger than those that are shorter it would possibly provide more variety as not everyone will just flock to the same BiS 100 cost move, this can flow through to everything somewhat.

If you're building a loadout and choosing a 300 cost power to put in there, what one are you choosing and why? Would you ever use any of the others? If not, why not? Be honest, it's probably because they're too weak and numerous powers under parse, resulting in an inevitable cookie cutter loadout build when people only naturally gravitate towards BiS and only BiS powers, leaving all the other powers dead in the water through sheer under-performance.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

I appreciate you just reading the feedback and taking any of it on board, I entirely get what you're saying, I really do, I understand the limitations of reality and I understand the challenges everyone around the world has faced over the last 2 years, hopefully the next few years will be better.

If I were going to ask you for anything in the short term it would be for those few PVP things, please make some bonus weeks of PVP to get people in there and running it and having some fun, putting double marks in or have wins count for double towards feats, allow feats in scrimmages, all of that I think would just take the edge of that entire thing.

The only other thing I'd really hope as a short term change is mix up some of the feats a little, maybe relax the feats that are "farm 50 of this bounty" and change it to some sort of skill based achievement regarding the bounty.

If you took Doomsday from Flashpoint as an example, perhaps a feat could've been "prevent Doomsday from being in an empowered state from the canons for more than [x] minutes", that type of thing, rather than just straight "farm [x] times".

The other thing that can become stale real quick is the vertical progression, the same gear chase every DLC, it's like a washing machine on the same cycle, endlessly.

That's why I put the idea in about an artifact weapon, you actually already have the system in place in the omnipotence gear, you'd just need to make a weapon and instead of collecting death picks, we go and collect food from omnibus and also catalysts from omnibus.

Incentivize people to move in to the rest of the game to obtain meaningful progress on something like that one item, it then gives players something to do outside of the DLC when they're finished or even as they're doing it side by side.

Anyway, thanks again and for what its worth, there has been moments of fun with the DLC, it's not all bad, but I had to share those thoughts well they were fresh, because it was important :)
    • Like x 3
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

52 years. ;)
  18. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

It was very brave of you, Proxy, to post your feelings in this thread. It shows your concern, as well as the concern of all who take the time to reply, for this game we all love and want to succeed for many years to come.

I like your ideas put forth above, and hopefully some love will come to PvP. I truly hope that PvP players will get some needed attention in the very near future.
    • Like x 2
  19. BumblingB I got better.

I was going to share this with some students at my work. (I work at an art college.) But unfortunately the experience requirement is a little higher than straight out of graduation. I hope you guys get some artists!
  20. Kuno Loyal Player

Not a word on new habilities, new iconic habilities or powers in general, its the same for so many yeards now.
    Why is it this way? Why you guys are unable to expand or add new habilities to existing powersets or iconic trees since new powersets are out of the radar.
    Honest question Mepps, I realize when it comes to new weapons, or habilities or powersets you guys go mute.
    This is a super powered mmo about superheroes, we should get new toys and fun ways to play from time to time with updates.