Revamp Controller Role (Strip Power Out)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BaelinFishman, Oct 25, 2021.

1. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Fair is fair. Why should tanks and healers have to be the only support role to get the damage penalty? In fact I haven't heard that argument until this thread lol but are we wrong? However, I am against trolls getting the damage penalty because trolls are already not that seen in groups unless of course you're doing elite. Exactly, trolls aren't just batteries they are more than that but you and many should understand that the community sees trolls only as batteries that is why they allowed us to regenerate our own power and since the OP wants to go back to how it was I'm totally against it.
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's not enough. The current damage reduction is a mere speed bump except to anyone who knows how to ignore that speed bump with the right equipment/loadout. Rebalancing stats on just non-elite gear would be a good first step.
  3. SpyderBite Active Player

I am no where near end game despite playing DCUO since launch. However. Controller was my least favored role as I really didn't understand my purpose in a group until recently. I often felt like I wasn't contributing so I'd jump in to the fray to help out with DPS.

Then somebody sent me a tell after a raid.. "Some advice. Stay in your lane. Use your powers. You are much more appreciated when you use your powers. Do that and groups will always enjoy having you on board".

Not sure it is relevant to the thread. But, I thought I'd throw that out there for those who are new to the controller role and don't understand what is being discussed here.
  4. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Don't take it personal lol thats what separates the diversity of players instead of playing the same way with nothing unique about it. Further nerfing tanks is only fair if trolls get the same treatment but I bet money that isn't going to happen. Omnipotent gear is really good for players who know how to skip that "speed bump". Further nerfing support roles who have omnipotent gear would make them feel like there's no point in trying to level them up.
    • Like x 1
  5. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

In troll role any power you use that's from your powerset gives pot. Maybe you're missing some important aspects as to why they told you. Perhaps you weren't debuffing enemies?
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Typically tanks are always at the bottom of the hate list until they use a superpower within range of an enemy and are immediately put to the top. Some bosses are scripted to ignore the tank during a certain phase/specific attack or scripted to ignore the tank completely. Some bosses are scripted to target the closest player. Some bosses are scripted to distance away from the tank.

In the case of two tanks and if:
    1. neither tank is using a single target taunt
    2. the enemy has no specific script to follow

Not 100% sure but I think the aggro goes to whoever caught the enemy's attention first, followed by whoever is getting the most hits in.
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

As someone that plays Control role I think Controllers should have less damage out and be given more crowd control and group support ability.
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I didn't say anything about nerfing Omnipotent gear, I said rebalance non-elite gear only. Since players have to work harder at these, elite gear should feel more rewarding and Omnipotent gear can stay as is.
  9. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Not a single time did I mention reducing the damage of controllers, maybe others are, but I didn't, In fact my idea if implemented right would make controllers more of a buff role than they are now and stuns would last much longer, so based on your response you didn't actually read the post closely and thats why I suggested that people read it closely before going off half-cocked, but you just ignored the read closely part I guess.

And I see this kind of response from you all the time. Because if its not a viewpoint held by you and your friends/league, the viewpoint is wrong and you immediately label the person an idiot. But I got news for you, I've been playing this game longer than you, I know this because you let a few things be known when I used to run with you and your league and I'm far from an inexperienced player in any role. But you assume that everyone who's not you or your league is an experienced player, and assume is an apt word to use...Theirs a common saying when people assume things, except I'm not really factored into that equation. If you want to know the saying then I suggest you look it up. So this part of your post, you're just beclowning yourself.

This part is proof positive that you did not read my OP. Because I outright said that power out from controllers is largely unneeded because of how power efficient people can be and the Cyborg ally makes it even better. And my suggestion would actually get rid of power out and put that on the players and that thing about "Controllers are more than batteries now", this would shift them even further in that direction of being more than batteries. Because I don't like the battery aspect of controllers, I never did. And this was coming from someone that ran with groups all the time that did a 3Troll, 3DPS, 1 Heal 1 Tank setup in Paradox. I hated the power battery thing back then, I still do which is why I never use my power troll armory anymore.

TBH your arrogance is astonishing, but then again your entire league and most of crew is like that too, so....not all the surprising, you know what they say about birds of a feather.
    • Like x 2
  10. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

O.O reverse uno on me lol
    Hmm so tank gear should have less damage than what it already gives? Meaning the drive would then be elite gear and omnipotent. I can agree to that.
  11. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Yeah, I personally think the battle troll damage is fine. I mean really if the group has enough power and everything is debuffed...why not put a little more damage on the boss if you have the SP or gear to spec that way. I mean thats the whole benefit of having high SP, you have the luxury of dual speccing. Personally I think the whole point of the speedbump to to make it where you can't do 100% of both roles and make it completely OP. 35% dmg reduction for support is fine, but I think it can be reduced to 25%, but thats just me. But like I said, if you have the SP then you're afforded the luxury of dual speccing.
  12. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Fair enough but then those are many factors that could cause an issue. Until someone makes a list of every instance that ignores tanks and does script attacks I feel it's going to be a problem perhaps not to the tank per se but to group as a whole if they aren't aware of these factors.
    • Like x 1
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Yes.
    • Like x 1
  14. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

I forgot to mention about nerfing tanks damage and this falls into the category of throne raid. Tanks are the only ones who are able to damage the essence or boss or whatever further nerfing their damage output by 25% as the other person suggested would only make that raid longer and more frustrating.
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I agree, I just feel the speedbump is set too low for the more inept population. When a skillful player has the right equipment + above average SP + an optimal loadout they should be more than able to achieve whatever they want. If you work smart and play hard your characters deserve to be rock stars. But the way the game is now almost any player can be missing one or two of those ingredients and still come out with the same result. Should that be seen as an issue?
  16. Controller Devoted Player

This is like the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen on here recently wanting changes to the Controller role.

Is there some misunderstanding about the role?

Is there inexperience with what we can do?

Are players just bored with the role?

Are there changes in this game and its content that some think its necessary to make changes to our role?

Is there anything the Devs can do to remind the player base just what Controllers are capable of? Since some think changes are necessary?

I know that when I run content I do exactly what I've done the last several years -

I give power.

I stun adds. Oftentimes I see beautiful sinergy between me and the Tank - in that I stun a group of adds then the tank takes control of them. Isn't this what we do?

I make use of my Group Shields - and when configured with Tactical Mods you can almost keep one at the ready when things get tough in a raid.

I debuff bosses. I'd like to think that my Rao Amulet makes me an added asset to a tough raid but when I see threads like this I wonder.....

Does a fully leveled Rao Amulet mean anything to a raid party anymore? Do the Devs need to increase the debuff percentage? I thought 15% was enough already.....

If changes are made to the role like the OP (and others) have suggested - then what happens to the rest of the group? What changes will the Healer, Tank or Dps have to make with such changes? What happens to the content?

Just some thoughts.
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

A few years ago I was in that raid as a healer with only one tank. While the tank was holding Ares and a few adds, I was holding the Essence and another group of adds. I was able to kill the Essence just by holding block, he would get countered and sustain damage to himself. Direct damage isn't the only answer to every in-game situation.
  18. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

All good questions and this thread is getting dangerous so I'm out lol
  19. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You killed that enemy by just blocking o.o well now...
  20. zNot Loyal Player

Power Trollers need to be a must for elite raids. This buff trolling nonsense made all content easyier and the difficulty isnt high to begin with.

Giving power,CC,debuffing should be the main things a troller does not buffing the damage of the group to kill everything wheres the challenge in that atleast for content thats supposed to be a challenge this is certainly not something that makes sense to me.