Did the Devs ever thought of...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Eve YouTuber

Giving our characters a voice actor\actress? it can be 3 different voice actors for each body type to fit it.
    We never ever talked in any cutscene or anything. It would be cool, since I see in Guild Wars 2 that around their third expansion they added a voice actress\actor for each race to tell their story.

It would be kinda cool to hear our characters say something let's say to Queen Diana rather than point at her angrily. lol

And generally I think it will add to the feeling of being part of the DC Universe. Our characters has a say,
    this could add a lot to the story if we talk with NPC's etc.

I guess It's not a big deal but something I thought of while playing Guild Wars 2. Different games I know but pretty nice idea I think.

Thoughts?
    • Like x 13
  2. Jaden Law Well-Known Player

Good idea. Add new emotes also would be nice.
    • Like x 2
  3. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Only if there is a "no voice" option.
    • Like x 7
  4. Eve YouTuber

Well you can turn off voice anyway. But if the cutscenes are pre-made I think it will be hard to have a no voice option, maybe just a skip cutscene.
  5. the solowing Unwavering Player

They could add in some voice actors for combat sounds, but i doubt its in the cards for daybreak.
    • Like x 3
  6. Eve YouTuber

Yeah that could also work, but I doubt this is high priority if any priority at all lol
    • Like x 1
  7. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I had a thought about this the other day for the sake of immersion.

The dynamic end of FGS showed that the devs have the tech to randomly pick members of the raid group to perform actions in a cut scene, so why not apply that to voice? Imagine that one of our characters is possessed by Deadman or otherwise mind controlled; and then in the cut scene, our character turns to speak to the raid group - but it’s the voice of the character that’s taken over our body!

Could be a fun, shocking thing that still keeps our character silent (which I think is by design so that the character always has our voice in our imagination).
    • Like x 4
  8. Eve YouTuber

I totally see what you mean, I hope maybe they will think about it. It could be pretty cool-add some atmosphere and make the character feels more alive.
  9. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I ain't against it.

I just hope they throw in a good mix of everything for the VO's.

Like, how do I want to describe it? Sparks shouldn't just sound like kids, because adults can sometimes be small in stature.(Evidence: Jason Todd as Robin; dude's small, I mean really small; but he's got a teen/young adult voice.)

Brutes can sound mean and menacing, but they don't need to be deep in their voice. (I mean... Look at Zangief from street fighter. Look at Craig Marduk from Tekken, etc. Those guys are 100% buff and brutes but they are full of personality.)

Strikers/Standard body type should have the option of sounding like a teen/young adult/ or even an older gentlemen.

I would also like to see the dialogue comply with your character's personality, so if you pick something like comical; Diana'll get mad at you for not taking the job seriously.

Or if you have something like primal as a personality, you'll eagerly take the job that Diana offers because primal types kinda have a trait of having a lust for thrashing everything.
    • Like x 1
  10. Eve YouTuber

Yep, basically how I imagine it. But it might be extra effort\money they don't see importance in. Though it could really make a difference in the storytelling.
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I don’t want this personally because all the voices will be american and my characters aren’t americans. I prefer being allowed to imagine my characters own voices.
    • Like x 1
  12. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

It definitely could, but a lot of games where you make your own characters don't go the extra mile of giving your own characters voice overs; it's usually only the official npc's or main cast that get'em.

It also don't help that some of the official guys like The Joker hasn't had a new VO since Mark Hamill at the beginning of the game which leads to him still being the only member of the Society who hasn't been promptly featured or updated. I'd rather have them use the extra money to get VO's for those absent characters.

It's a good and ambitious idea, but I don't know if folks would opt to use it all that much.
    • Like x 2
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I would just be happy if our characters made generic sounds when we get hit, perform emotes, cast certain abilities, etc.
    • Like x 4
  14. myandria Item Storage

Hmm.. I can imagine that, as there are other games that I play that have silent player characters but have interactive voices when they are attacked/ being attacked and some emotions, such as sighing, anger (grrrr!) or crying. I hope the devs consider it.

However, I would also wish for the iconic npc's to have those type of voices as well; imagine The Joker laughing at you if you cried/grunt in pain in front of him or Beast Boy laughing along with you if you chuckled. This will more than likely NOT happen, but it's nice to think about it.
    • Like x 2
  15. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Jumping sounds like in the old fps games like doom and quake would be funny hehehe
    • Like x 1
  16. the solowing Unwavering Player

Client sided auto option to turn voices off should solve that
    • Like x 1
  17. Irvynnge Loyal Player

maybe something along the lines of the sort of thing they did in FF? like, a preset choice of sounds, grunts, screams, laughs, affirmatives, negatives, cheers, roars, that sort of thing. you get to pick from a number of pre-recorded sounds, one of each, to mix & match them to fit your character.

my biggest issue is that, in my head, my main has a very very specific voice & accent, so anything else just wouldn't sound right. the closest we have in-game would be John Constantine, but even that's pretty far of the mark.
    • Like x 4
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It seems like something like that would be better off done in development rather than trying to put it in place a decade or so later. If it had been in from the start they could have planned for further additions or how it might be incorporated in future content. Trying to put it in now would mean having to look at backfilling it into 40 or so episodes PLUS seasonal content and making sure it worked well.

There's also cost (I don't think VA comes cheap) to consider and how much you'd be looking at. Even if it were three different actors for each body type, that's still anywhere between 9-18 actors (18 if you wanted separate distinct voices for each faction). That's a decent amount of people to pay and recording studio time to have to pay for.

One other thing that could be a speedbump: actor continuity. If for some reason a player character voice wasn't able to return for that role, any new voice additions that might take place would end up clashing. Plus, knowing how the community can...react to voice actors changing for the iconic characters, I'd shudder to think of the fits and/or tantrums that might take place if their own character's voice actor changed.

I have seen this kind of thing done in a semi-online game (Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U allowed you to choose a voice for your character, had some online play options) but that was all built in as part of the game. And while it was interesting, hearing the same comments for certain combat situations over and over and over and over and over could wear on you.

Like I said, I think it would have been something to put in from the start. While it might add immersion, I can't say it's something I'd be clamoring for or say that the game needed. Bigger fish to fry, and all that.
    • Like x 3
  19. Aesthete Well-Known Player

Well i'm sure it'll just be grunts and groans from combat stances or other actions when you're flying or running. So I doubt there will be the need of any dialogue that distinguishes accents.
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I need to math better. LOL

9 actors per body type in each gender would mean 18 total, which would mean 36 actors on the high end if they went with different actors for each faction.

This is why I studied Theater in college. :D
    • Like x 2