Quintile Crystal Shard Update-3

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by AJPro, Dec 19, 2020.

1. AJPro Committed Player

Well two other posts, zero dev responce, number of cool players commiserating.
    i am up to two weeks straight of grindy boring tedious legion bounties week five and still no double marks and now since the Ionized gas fix zero and i mean zero
    Quintile Crystal Shard.

that is 8 bounties a day on my main and zero crystals.
    I also run 8 bounties on two alts each day and i did get one crystal on one alt once each week.
    This is crazy!
    Fixing ionized gas to only break Quintile is like lowering the price of car oil but shutting down all the gas pumps.
    Maybe it will get fixed, but I doubt it. Just another instance of DCUO making something simple stupid.
    stay safe everyone and happy holidays.
    Note: i know i am the fool for still running and playing this game, maybe in the new year i will smarten up but i doubt it.
  2. Lexalted New Player

I got 5 shards this week. I don't think drop rate is broken but you have just got extremely unlucky streak.
  3. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i guess they're still working on the rewards or content that might come on double marks. Or... they're really just trying to not shorten this episodes life span further by granting players the last resource to finish the last few feats - the style feats.
  4. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I don't run the bounties as often any more but when I do, I've seen only 1 in a week or so. I don't run bounties everyday any more, because I gave up on the facemask. Also I run 5 characters and the bounties are still on a 3 minute timer which is ridiculous considering we have a 5 minutes wait between each bounty. That is so much time wasted standing and waiting.
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Just asking, not throwing shade, but how much are you participating? I find that in the ones I can fill the bar up the whole way, I seem to see more drops. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I'm not sure If I ever see one in a bounty where I barely make it in time to get a few hits and minimal credit. Maybe you are maxing the bar out already...if so, maybe find a horseshoe, rabbits foot or 4 leaf clover to hold on to when running.

Make sure to pick off a few of the adds to boost things up. On Cosmic this is especially needed as he's normally gone before I ever see him on my PS4 screen.

It does sound like a bad run of luck though.
  6. tukuan Devoted Player

I can't remember exactly what it was for but a while back I remember the devs talking about a bad-luck counter for a given drop. I really think that's what's needed here. Whatever the drop % is it should increases by 5-10% per fight without a shard drop. If you get a shard then it'd reset to the normal rate and so on.

I've had 5-6 cycles so 20-30 fights without a shard then one and then again another similar round. That's just too much.
    • Like x 2
  7. tukuan Devoted Player

I can't say for others but I'm engaged when it's on. I hit everything that moves and my drop rate is still pretty abysmal.
  8. Rainnifer Committed Player

I had recently gotten 5 Quintile shards within 2 hours of bounties, I guess I was super lucky
  9. Magnificent Loyal Player

I've gotten 2 or 3 over the last couple of days. It's more than what I was seeing prior to a week ago but it still happens in fits and spurts. I might get 2 in an hour and then nothing for 2 days.
    • Like x 1
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I’m not motivated to run the bounties for marks for the vendor catalysts because breaking through a single level only grants a teeny tiny stat boost and I’d need shards that I don’t have to go any higher. I’m not getting any shards because I’m barely running the bounties and got very, very few when I was.

Cause and Effect...
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, but I've had fights where I am engaged the whole time, primarily on the boss, and end up with 'silver' benefits, or around 1/2 a bar. Again, mostly on cosmic boy as he's down so fast. If you(not you in particular, but 'you' in general) are using a lot of ST moves, you might not be getting a lot of splash damage on the adds, except on SG who you can't stay locked on.

I ran 1 rotation last night with an extra Validus and Cosmic and got 1 shard somewhere in there. It was just a suggestion as it seems like getting none in 20-30 attempts is no longer the norm. Even the broker prices reflect the better (although still low) drop rates.
    • Like x 1
  12. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Crystal shard count for me n last 4 weeks is 1
    I do 3-5 full rotations per day. Well played devs....... well played
  13. valiant Villian Well-Known Player

If you play barefoot while holding a long stemmed rose in your teeth, shards drop. I tried it and it works.
  14. EconoKnight XIII Legion

[IMG]
  15. Lexalted New Player

That's how drop rates works. There is certain % and it's all luck based. You can roll 6-side dice 100 times trying to get 6 and in theory you may land with zero sixes and someone could hit every single throw.
  16. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Ya think smh
    No one said otherwise. Sadly thats not whats being discussed but thnx for enlightening us about how drop rates work.
    Point is the drop rate is too low when most of us are not getting squat. The discussion (since u missed the point) is that the drop rate is too low as evidenced by many of us going days and even weeks with no drops.

But again, for anyone who didnt know how drop rates work, thnx for clearing it up......
  17. Lexalted New Player

But people have also stated they have got multiple drops. Also I have seen multiple ppl with finished Google's. You are just voicing your opinion that drop rate is too low for you when there is other side of the coin, ones who have gotten drops. You clearly missed my point that it's how probabilities and percents work. But you seem to look yourself so entitled to have more drops be cause "you deserve so". Is it forced grind? Yes. Is the drop rate too low? No. Comparing it to other mmo's that's still pretty good odds. In example in wow you were forced to fight over certain drops with other people, loose a damn need roll and be raid locked for weel. Then loose in same fashion multiple times. For me, you just sound like one of those folks who demands everything now and easy.
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The drop rate is intended to be rare and take much of the episode's life as latest to complete, on average. It didn't get made more rare when Ionized Gas was made more common.

I get the frustration, but I don't that that post was far off - it was my thought as well. There are examples of people getting way more than the average crystal drops, and there are examples of people getting way less. That's random, that's video games, that's part of the unknown, but you're here using your sample size of one which generally communicates a misunderstanding.

---

Since as you say that's not the issue, it's pretty normal to always think a rare drop is too rare, and there's a fine line between getting it just right, making it too frustrating, and making it so common it becomes meaningless. There need to be reasons to play and continue playing.

We take the gut feeling out of this by setting drop rates based on pretty generous expected player behavior and intended time/gameplay to complete.

For a rare and important item like this, as I alluded to earlier, it's something* like if you play for an hour a day, it will take you 10-12 weeks on average to get all the pieces. Good luck and more time playing will shorten that. Bad luck and less time playing will extend that. (*I'm not looking at crystals specifically - that's just an example of how we approach rarity in general.)

---

And, for what it is worth, crystals will soon be added to the Legion vendors. If you remain crazy unlucky, that can serve as an alternative way to progress.
    • Like x 12
  19. Engendro from hell New Player

Hey, let's hope they are not at an outrageous price!
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It will be a conversion. 10 Ionized gasses = 1 crystal shard.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1