No name reclaim event?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dmitri, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Dmitri Active Player

I'm bored of seeing ppl who took the names and nvr get on.... Idk banned or quit dcuo,,,,still they sit on the names which active ppl like to use
    • Like x 3
  2. MinieII New Player

I agree 100%, a name reclaim is needed. It's the great depression of names right now.
    At least 60% of names are being WASTED
    the other 30% are being exploited for personal gain (For profit, be it- cashapp, real money, psn, or dcuo cash)
    then the remaining 10% are being properly used and appreciated.

But don't waste your time posting these threads, it won't happen. People are more on the " I got fUrst , me no use BuT me KeeP " side of things.

We at least need a option for an additional space , and/ or special characters.
    • Like x 1
  3. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Only way we will ever get another name reclaim is when/if they merge EU and US servers together. Otherwise, I don't imagine them taking the time to worry with a name reclaim.
    • Like x 5
  4. The Anxient Loyal Player

No get creative. Last name reclaim was a huge bust
    • Like x 4
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The last name reclaim didn't work because it was announced ahead of time. People hoarding names got to keep their names.
    • Like x 2
  6. Swamarian Committed Player

Last event was a bust. I hadn't logged on for a year, and was hoping to get a free rename token.
    No such luck.
  7. the solowing Unwavering Player

I mean isn't the point of it to free up names that are not being used?
  8. Chia Death Well-Known Player

How do you see them never get on? Wouldn't this be more not seeing them ever get on? How are you so sure they never get on anyway?
  9. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

I don't know if this is still the case, 'cause I haven't bothered with looking at it in ages, but we used to have the Census/Player Character Lookup tool that allowed you to lookup a name and find out a bunch of info about it, including seeing what the character looks like, what level they are, and a bunch of other stuff. It might have shown the last date that character was active in-game, but don't quote me on that, because it's been literally a couple years since I last looked at any of that info.
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Correct but very few names were actually freed up because they announced what they were doing ahead of time. So everyone that was holding on to names on unused characters saw the announcement, logged on to those characters within the deadline and were safe from having those names taken.
  11. the solowing Unwavering Player

I mean they do need to have names sweeps every year or so, however at least for now legendary needs to be exempt, for a subscription year. Free-to-play accounts could be subject and name wipes at the account is inactive for a. Of 3 months, premiums should have subjected name wipes with six months inactivity
    • Like x 1
  12. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Would love to know where you're getting your statistics from, or are you just making up some random numbers?
    • Like x 2
  13. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Unfortunately not, 99.9% of the community used the last name reclaim to save names on alt accounts and for PC players to have multiple launchpads open at once saving names to SELL for in-game cash and real life currency later. The market for names is huge and people well (are dumb enough) to pay hundreds to billions of dollars and even hundreds to thousands in USD for names.
    • Like x 1
  14. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord says first come first serve. Would you also like his Batman and Two Face inspired mask? How about his hack attack hoodie and back from the hack feat? Might as well throw in his year one cape as well.
    • Like x 1
  15. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Many players are dumb enough to spend that much on "names" like "Spoon" and "Soapdish", as long as they have "OG" in front of them.
    • Like x 1
  16. Magician Dedicated Player

Interesting. I can foresee where the consoles and the PC/PS community combine populations if they plan to make this game success ful for 10 years. I would not say that the Name Reclaim in the past was a failure as the last one I got a couple of names I wanted. I am sure there will likely be another in the future, eventually. Truth be told, I have too many characters with names that are pretty decent that I dont play with. My life doesn't afford me the time to keep all 32 characters top level. The problem if they do another event, is people will likely not get the names they want because they will be locked again.

I will stand true to this suggestion I had in Beta when I told Mepps that it would be beneficial to change the naming system to where there isn't just one "Magician" in all the game, rather do what Cryptic did with the @Handle options. However, it didn't happen then, and likely won't happen now.

The one thing I will say is that it is annoying when you log in and strangers start messaging you about selling your character name. I never had any plans to sell any and liekly dont trust the process either way.
  17. Chia Death Well-Known Player

So... maybe there's a way but you're not sure. Good post.
  18. Solarbound Committed Player

Is it really that hard to create something of your own? SMH -_-
    • Like x 2
  19. Brit Loyal Player

Rather than making Name Reclaim an event, it needs to be a regular part of game maintenance. The goal is to free up names on inactive accounts, so that Dimensional Ink can service the their current customers as more important than their former customers. Too many names are being held by level 4 alts, either because they are inactive or because they're just being squatted on in order to try and sell the names later.

The highest grossing MMO in the world runs regular name purges in a very simple formula.
    1- If you are subscribed, you are exempt.
    2- If you have not logged in in the previous 2 expansions, the name gets freed up.

No big event. No fancy dealybob. Just a very simple set of metrics where, if a player is not subscribed, AND if they quit logging in, then we accept that they are gone and we free the name up for other people who might want it.

Though, at this point, I think I would grumblingly accept the idea of a "Premium Namechange Token" where we just pay our 2500DBC and it allows us to change into a name that hasn't been logged in in over a year. There are just so many names that are going to waste, and the game looks really tacky when the vast majority of players you see are using XXXXXXXXplayernameXXXXXXXXX. Not a great first impression for players.
    • Like x 5
  20. Caroline Dedicated Player

If they added them to their friendslist, they know whether or not they log in on daily basis.