Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Minie, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Minie Well-Known Player

I never understood why people consider randoms words, verbs, nouns, ect to be "OG Names". I always have and will believe that "OG Names" are names like John,Mary,Jordan,Jessica,Eric,Erica,Ariana, ect ect, because these are literally original names known to society which hints why they were the first names to be snagged up by the first DCUO players, doesn't that make them OG? Or am I too literal?
    I am genuinely confused.
    • Like x 3
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It's the current naming fad. It'll change to something else eventually.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think it works a little differently if you're dealing with something like a super hero game. The vast majority of both heroes and villains tend to use code names rather than actual names. Some are grandiose, others are simple. So a simple word that normally would express an action or something like that qualifies as a name.

So a word like "headlong" can work as a super-powered character name, as it could be used for a speedster character or even a super strength/invulnerable character with flight who likes to just fly in and start fighting.
    • Like x 1
  4. Minie Well-Known Player

I understand what your saying, but you maybe misundersood me. I know these are names ofcourse, but to say a OG Name? Seems like a stretch to me. Code name is actually a better description. Some code names are good but I just wouldn't quality them as "OG".
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Seems to me like any words that are not spelled with special characters are now considered 'OG', or if it's an iconic name that uses minimal changes, like 'W0NDER W0MAN' or whatever. I'd agree with the latter as true iconic names are prohibited, but disagree with the former except where the name is a word/phrase relating to comics/powers/something iconic. Example, if you had the name 'Kryptonite' or something....it's not an iconic person, but it's pretty iconic in comics and the game, so I'd say OG. Words like 'Dumpster' or 'BreadBox' ....whatever...while spelled perfectly are not 'OG' (to me at least).

And really...is there anything in this game that could be considered 'Gangster'...as that's what the 'G' in 'OG' really means?

I can picture it now....sometime in 2011 in the 'hood'.....
    "Yo dawg...sup?....Whatchu doing dis weekend?"
    "I finna play some dope DC superhero video game"
    "Daaaaamn... dawg...that shiz is TIGHT!"

Let's pour out some of our Colt 45's for these 'OG's who are no longer with us....in the game.
    Don't think so....

Reinheld
    • Like x 4
  6. myandria Item Storage

I hear ya. When this community started using "OG Name" to mean "original name" I literally thought it meant "Original Gangsta Name". "???? What the...o_O" was my original reaction. Someone wanted to by the name of one of my characters, "Olive Garden" and asked me would I be willing to sell the OG Name. I misunderstood and was a little offended that someone would refer to my character as a gangster. This happened to me a few times with some of my character's names until it was explained to me what these people actually wanted. Very embarrassing :oops:, but I guess that is par for the course as I get older.
    • Like x 1
  7. myandria Item Storage

Ha! I thought you were going to break out the OE 800 (Old English 800) and Thunderbird but Billy Dee Williams works too.:D
    • Like x 1
  8. dresserball Dedicated Player

I would argue that the name Mary isn't original, since it has been done before. But xxxxxx?Mary?xxxxx is more original.
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The character name 'Mary' for example is original in the sense that no one else in-game has it, it's not misspelled or with X's and numbers. That player would be the original holder of that specific name, anyone else who comes up with a variant such as 'xXxMaryxXx' or 'M4ry" is the unoriginal holder.
    • Like x 1
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

THANK YOU!!! I swear that people just looked around at random objects in the room, typed it in to see if it was available without having to spell it weird and then took it if it was available. There's Pencil, Cup, Keys, Toothpaste, etc, etc. Like reeeeaaaallly? That's a superhero name????

You thought the Justice League was tough, wait until you see the Office League. Superman, Wonder woman and Batman don't stand a chance against Pen, Chair and Desk. And If Shelf decides to leave the comfort of his wall to join the fight, IT'S OVER!
    • Like x 7
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You keep Toothpaste out in the open in your office? Now that's attention to good hygene! And THAT kids is how you keep all your teeth.
    [IMG]
    Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  12. myandria Item Storage

LOL! Batman has his bats and family and The OfficeDesk has its Paperclips and Thumbtacks!

Who would win?:D
    • Like x 1
  13. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Well he was in Medicine Cabinet Alpha but got the boot for not getting long with Soap, Floss and Aspirin
    • Like x 2
  14. myandria Item Storage

WOW! This is getting better and better! I can't wait to hear the rest of the backstory of the Office League!

Oops... thread derail eminent...sorry.:(
  15. Berza Committed Player

I will take a Original names that are actually related to the Lore and/or the toon's power, appearance or backstory, if you like those things. As an example, I think Berza is an Original name. When I made the toon, I actually made a few ones with names related to their powersets. Berza was born as Nature and a berza is a vegetable very common in the place I was born, we use it for one of our most popular food.
    On the other hand, my alt toon is named La Choni. “La" is Spanish feminine singular for English “The“ and Choni is a word I don't know how to translate but you know Jersey Shore and that kind of TV shows? That kind of people is what we call Choni. Her original style reminded me of this people, and also she was meant to be a tank, so I thought it was a good name.
    • Like x 1
  16. Minie Well-Known Player

LMAO!!
    Bro straight up, Pencil alone would destroy Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman easily.
  17. Hmmmm Well-Known Player

Just another way for tryhards to feel special and self important. You do you, OP.
    • Like x 1
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So 'Choni' apparently translates to 'Trashy Goombas'. Good to know.

Learning more and more this thread....

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It’d certainly destroy Green Lantern ;)
    • Like x 1
  20. Blightwing New Player

If pencil teamed up with John Wick, then even Darkseid would reconsider an invasion...
    • Like x 1