why daily shutdown?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Heliotropix, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Heliotropix Well-Known Player

not complaining, just curious. i've played games since there were games. everquest, coh/cov, swg, WoW, swtor, ffxiv...played them all, and not one of them did daily maintenance. a weekly shutdown was good enough for all of them, so why does dcuo need to shut down every morning?
    it doesn't seem like it's that complex a game, especially compared to wow or swtor, what can need daily attention?
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

The DCUO hamsters have a better union.
    • Like x 5
  3. FoolsFire Devoted Player

4. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

You must not have been here when the devs tried do the 48/72 hour reset. Suffice to say, it didn't work well.
    • Like x 6
  5. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Normal daily restart:

[IMG]

And if they decide to skip daily restart:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Other games have better hardware and multiple servers.
  7. AerovengerReturns Level 30

It's to allow addicts like you and I time to use the restroom, make coffee and eat something.
    • Like x 1
  8. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Would you have them shutdown the servers daily so they keep things running semi smooth?

Or would you prefer more playtime while the game's lagging like crazy?

That's essentially the whole point is to keep the servers refreshed whenever they do these daily restarts. Give the hamster some room to breathe.
    • Like x 2
  9. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I don't think any of those were programmed to work on a PS3.

That the devs try to extend times since the PS3 is gone is quite a hint.
  10. FoolsFire Devoted Player

[IMG]

First three: "Cause to Die" - A command given to slaves to kill themselves.
    Last two: Refers to Apollo. Which was the name of the candy bar in the hatch. (Who was also born on an island.)

According to the producers it just meant 'Underworld.' (slackers)
  11. Knarlydude Loyal Player

This is what some would call daily Preventive Maintenance, Checks & Services.

Hard resets usually put any code that might have been corrupted or been moved back into its right place and in its original format.

It's just like when you have an issue with your cell phone. The first thing the online tech tells you to do is pull the battery out for 30 seconds and then replace. Ta da all better.
  12. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

Final fantasy online was actually on the ps2 and it ran rather well.
  13. kingmasternova Loyal Player

Computers need to cool off, Have you ever fell you cable boxes, ps4, or Xbox they all heat up.
  14. Proxystar #Perception

I personally think shutting down daily is a poor customer service experience in comparison to other MMOs

As the customer, whatever its cause isn't my problem, i just want it to stop, it's a nuisance.
  15. Swamarian Committed Player

That's FF XI, which is still running. (Yes, there are 2 Final Fantasy MMOs.) At best guess, it looks like they average on taking the servers down roughly every 2 weeks, but don't have a regular schedule.
  16. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

Yea I know I played ffarr until the pc players utterly ruined it.