Just Came Back and I'm Very Pleased

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Red Batern, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Red Batern Well-Known Player

When I left the game (not due to having a problem with DC or anything) end game was Gates and Prime, and everyone was trying like hell to get a Prime weapon for pvp. I had a villain named Fraggle Roc and a hero named Schwarzeneggerish. I never posted on the forums until now.

Some things I've noticed (in no specific order)....

The Current Free to Play Model

It's truly sensational, although I'm premium. I've spent money on quality of life items like powers and inventory space. I have not felt the need, that I have to have a membership to enjoy the game. I feel like a membership is something I'll purchase when I have more time to play. I'm also happy that I'm building a template to use during semesters when my playtime is extremely limited, and I'll have to return to premium. If I was really struggling for every dollar I earned, I would feel just as happy being completely f2p...mouth would be watering here and there lol....but I'd be content with the, content :3

To Do List

There is so much to do. I have a character at cr 89 and another at cr 42 and I don't feel rushed to get into T4+ at all. Completely happy grinding out skill points for now. I'm also happy staying at cr 89 for awhile since I can still get marks in 1 alert and 2 duos. I haven't even touched pvp yet.....which brings me to my next point.

WTH Happened to PvP??

I mean, seriously?? Is what everyone says true? There were days back then I would only log on to play pvp with a few buddies. Heck, sometimes the only reason I would run Gates over and over and over was to make my leaguemates happy so they would shut up and start running pvp with us lol. Some of the more vocal pvp players are pretentious and/or condescending (which is common for pvp crowds) so I try not to pay too much attention. However, I do not see much in the way of overwhelming disagreement, even if their comments are arrogant and conceded. I haven't pvp'd at all yet because I know SP matters (not interested in that debate so don't even start with me), but, at this point I'm not really sure how to approach it at all. Just do Legends? Only play with premades? Worth the wait times? I'll try to get back in it soon to reduce my naivity and ignorance.

Melodrama With the Posters and Community

I know online gaming everywhere, not just here in DC, is beyond the point of no return. Since people do not need to use their real names, ergo, the protection of anonymity creates toxicity. I have heard some of the most RIDICULOUS things said by forumers and in-game players such as:

"The game is soooo dying!!"

Of course the game has lost players since launch happens to every single game, but dying?? It certainly is not. Hell, it feels more populated than when I was playing and people weren't even hiding out in bases or lairs because they didn't exist. I have run the oldest of old content pugging it and have got it done, even with cr appropriate players (thanks to how mules that get me speed feats though lol).
    So ya, game may have slowed down after SEVEN FREGGIN YEARS, but it ain't dead by any means. Heard the same crap when I played before. It wasn't true then, ain't true now. Jack Ryder wants to have a word with you....

"Skill Points Mean NOTHING!!"

Okay. This is ridiculous to mean. And don't worry I'll save you the headaches as I've lurked for weeks now and heard the testimonies. Sure it may not be important if you overgear for something, but people's testimonies to their complete ineffectiveness is wrong, and basic eurithemtic proves it. Why is everyone so dead set on saying they mean NOTHING? Are they just players getting carried all the time?

"Daybreak is Ruining DC"

I played this game before, was impressed then, I'm impressed coming back. I've also played other mmos so broke with wait times lasting hours. DC has some problems, but it certainly isn't being "RUINED by DB" or unplayable. I even read a comment from either today or yesterday saying something along the lines of "I have literally NEVER played a game with so many issues." and just laughed for awhile. The only thing I could think of is, "Ya, because you play this game all the damn time and never play any other games even though this is soooooo broken." Just had to smh a little on that one lol.

Anyway, got to get back to work so I'll see you guys around the forums and in game. If you want to start a new hero or villain and feat hunt while you progress, hit me up.
    • Like x 5
  2. Emerald Vibe Committed Player

lol Wait until he finds out about TC
    • Like x 5
  3. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

daybreak bought a broken game...and they have fixed much more than they broke actually...but the breaking needs ending and DB needs a better way to make money than gamblebox nonsense
    • Like x 1
  4. Red Batern Well-Known Player

What time capsules? How could you get to cr 89 and not know about them? No bother, I've lurked for awhile and heard all the drama. A better question is, "Why aren't my paragraphs indented, they were when I created that post?!?!?"

Answer that and I'll give you props or a cookie. Whichever you prefer.
    • Like x 5
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

Truly the most sane comment on here I have seen in all my time.
  6. velvetsanity Loyal Player

To indent, you have to use the indent button. It’s to the right of the left/center/right justification buttons in the text box UI. Using spaces doesn’t work because BBCode. Cookie please. :D
    • Like x 2
  7. Great Architect Loyal Player

IMO the Premium / F2P accounts need to slowly gain access to DLC. Back in the day you could buy DLC packs which had powers and extras attached (e.g Home Turf used to grant the Lair System, etc.)

There is very little incentive to buy those DLC (other than the now reduced price).

A *real* boost to the F2P/Premium model would be to grant content to those subscription models that are way, way out of relevancy for endgame.
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

PvP is gone. Make two accounts, and queue them up against each other if you want PvP feats.
  9. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

member since today.... were you banned back when you played or never posted before?
  10. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Thank you thank you! What kind of cookies do you like?
    • Like x 1
  11. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Sigh.

Daybreak did not buy anything and DCUO was not sold separately. Daybreak Games Company is just the new name of Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), Columbus Nova is the company that bought SOE which then needed a name change do to Sony no longer owning it. Columbus Nova bought SOE whole with all of its game titles, DCUO being just one of those titles.

The game had issues but it was far from broken, most of the mess actually happened after the sale. The devs seemed to lose all sense of direction with all the new possibilities that opened up to them, which took the game into it's darkest times, that included the infamous GU47.
    • Like x 2
  12. Red Batern Well-Known Player

I was never banned from the game or the forums (like I said I never posted on the forums). Just never had a desire, odd question.

As far as I know though, those characters should still be active. I tried to re-create a couple of characters I had on that same account: Green Batern and Captain Ohcrap, but those two were still locked so I assume the other two are as well. Not interested in tracking down my old roommate to find out lol.
  13. Super_National Well-Known Player

Daybreak did not buy DCUO. Daybreak is SOE. Sony sold SOE to an investment firm a couple years ago. So, naturally, not being owned by Sony anymore they could not continue to call themselves Sony Online Entertainment. Thus, the name change to Daybreak Games.

But outside of some faces having changed due to layoffs and folks leaving (like John Smedley, and I feel no loss there), they are the same company that has had the license with WB for DCUO since the beginning.

Daybreak did not buy DCUO from SOE. SOE got sold by Sony and had to change its name.
    • Like x 3
  14. lukelucky Devoted Player

Uh i stopped after the game feels as populated as when prime was new because either memory fails you or you are intentionally spreading false news.

Lfg first dropped back in t4. Lfg was moving at such a pace when t5 dropped some group building required team work. 1 person on recent text and others spotting and calling out names of those who shouted.

U can say those people were bad group builders (myself was 1) but non the less clearly there is a dramatic difference

Back then cross play was requested but not in the plans. Now cross play keep us a float.

Glad you are back and glad u are enjoying the game but lets keep the conversation realistic. Anyway hope u enjoy the game for a long time to come.
    All in all the games great the buisness model needs work. They kept us a float for 7 years thou so congrats there
    • Like x 1
  15. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

While Columbus Nova bought SOE in the same year that GU47 occurred, GU47 was pre-planned way before any of that sale business was set in motion. That was all part of the evolving Weapon Master and Advanced Mechanics agenda. What happened after GU47 (like them putting the kibosh on the in-progress UI work), that can be attributed to new ownership and direction.
    • Like x 2
  16. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Thanks for the welcome back, I appreciate it. Just want to point out you shouldn't be so quick to use a buzz term like "false news" or accuse someone of being disgenuine. I didn't quote numbers, I didn't make a definitive statement and even admitted it was how I "felt". It might not matter to you, but I'll justify the statement.

Making a new character now and pugging the lower tier content is easier now than it was then. Back then, you had to walk in sometimes just to run older content. Now you can just pug it. Whether that has to do with how the match system works now or not I don't know. What I do know, is it FEELS more populated when you start a new character than it did then.

You also give me the benefit of the doubt suggesting my memory might not serve me correctly, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you might not understand what false news is. Just wanted to clarify this. I also acknowledged the fact that the population has undoubtedly declined, further absolving me from spreading misinformation.

Hope to see you around if you start a new hero or villain!! Happy gaming :)
    • Like x 1
  17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

True, my wording was poor/incomplete there.

I was looking at it as all apart of the whole of where things were headed at the time, with the same people involved (well until the personnel changes began). One thing compounding onto another.
    • Like x 2
  18. Great Architect Loyal Player

Not so - To the best of my knowledge, DBG did *acquire* (probably buy) the entirety of the ProSieben catalogue, including material assets such as the server farm - but SOE was not simply those games and assets. This may not have been a straight-up financial exchange, but a licence agreement. Either way, they gave something for something. Sony still has assets that were SoE (items under development, physical assets and intellectual properties) that DBG absolutely did not acquire in the transfer - that includes the DC licence, which is, I believe, leased to DBG - not the other way round - and so we have the end result that the PC and Xbox and PS4 have non-compatible RB, MC, and a "cannot trade across platforms" restriction on Catalysts. DB money goes to DB. Sony money goes to Sony. XBox money goes to Microsoft, and the whole is regulated by a complex licensing deal.
  19. Comixfan Committed Player

As others have pointed out (seems I'm late to the party! lol), Daybreak didn't buy anything.

Before they were Daybreak, they were Sony Online Entertainment, and they created DCUO.
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Sorry but there is nothing correct in your whole post.

ProSieben was only a company that managed and distributed the EU side of SOE's games for a time and that relationship ended around a year before SOE was sold. Pro. had no ownership what so ever of any of SOE's games or assets, they did have control of the accounts but had to turn them over to SOE when they parted ways.

Daybreak Games did not exist prior to SOE changing it's name to it. Again there was never a game company called Daybreak prior to SOE changing their name to it.

Columbus Nova (an investment company) bought the entirety of the SOE company from Sony, which allowed for the DC license for DCUO to continue and stay with SOE/DGC. Again Columbus Nova is the owner of the company formally known as Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), now called Daybreak Game Company (DGC).

You have no understanding of how the ownerships of the platforms are set up and why things are separated.