Player with DC "Iconic" Knock-off Names

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Crimson Crossfyre, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Crossfyre Well-Known Player

I can't explain why it bothers me but I feel if there are sets of rules governing how players name characters, those rules should be applied to all players and include enforcement against players who use tricks to get around the name filter with misspellings or tricks in use of symbols.

BTW, I have no idea how a player gets something like "ZXC" past the name filters as I once tried all sorts of variations of different DC Comic Hero and Villain names as an exercise to see how it is done and failed every time. The names were all rejected outright. I couldn't even get Wonder Man in any for past the filters.

Does it bother anyone else? Should some players be allowed to thumb their noses at the rules because they would rather pretend to be Batman than be one of the new heroes...as described in the opening dialogue of the game? Does it wreck immersion to see a character wearing the name of your mentor, running around and even behaving contrary to what that DC character would? (I got cussed out by a Superman knock-off once, don't remember why.)

LOTR will not suffer any character with anything even resembling a Tolkien character's name in the game, even to the point of demanding the most obscure names to be changed. There are no Lllegollassses or Ganndalfs or Froddos in the game.

Should it matter here?
  2. High Troller Loyal Player

That used to grind my gears because the original slogan of the game was "Be your own hero or villain". Now I just don't care enough to write a post about what you speak of.
  3. majosea Dedicated Player

blacklisting is not cool , and against the tos rules
    • Like x 1
  4. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

So, if I am understanding this correctly, you tried to get several variations of iconic names, you couldn't, then saw that others did, and now think no one should be able to?
    • Like x 8
  5. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Why is it bothering you if Someone has an iconic name or not? If they want to make an Iconic character that's their business. And besides, this game actually promotes iconic replicas.

We have Superman Gear, Batman Cowl in the Marketplace, All The Lantern Emblems, Ultraman emblems, and now we have Johnny quick and Owlman inspired gear. Sorry, but I have my own share of Iconic characters; and I'm not about to lose them all because your upset that you couldn't get Wonder Man through.

This is a complete Hypocritical post, I'm betting If Wonder Man got through; you wouldn't even bothered making this thread in the first place. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 8
  6. Bobby Morningstar New Player

:D
    • Like x 1
  7. Agent Flores Committed Player

What bothers me is that somebody got the name I wanted, Super Victor. I have to substitute with all caps, the I with a lower case L for my main character. That sucks and I wish the person who has it delete their character so I can take it. My main character is pretty freaking iconic to me. :p
    • Like x 2
  8. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Its nothing that has not been going on for a LONG time.... I played City of heroes for 7 years before i came here when they closed down the servers there and on COH we had the same sort of "restrictions" (small piece of semi history since I do not know the exact story) But at one point shortly after COH went live they didn't have those restrictions in place and players were calling their characters "Thor" or "Captain American" or "Superman" and then .. as the urban legend goes (since I have no idea how any player would know this for real) .. Marvel, which was in the process of coming up with its first on line Super Hero game, actually sent in spies... Employees of Marvel who reported back that COH was letting players use their copy written character's names.. and Then Stan Lee sicked his lawyers on the company... the restrictions and filters that refused to allow you to simply use any super heroes from ANY comic book company were put in place shortly after to avoid a HUGE settlement.

I know what you mean though I get a chuckle out of seeing XXooBATMAN215ooXX in game .. I've always kind of wanted to ask.. "So dude..... Are you THE BATMAN from Earth 215 of the Multiverse or what?" "Oh yeah and does Kevin Conroy KNOW your pretending to be him?"

Players have always spent time finding ways around the filters but some of those names look really dumb. :eek: LOL
    • Like x 1
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Yeah.... I wonder why some people would want to use Iconic names to match with their Iconic gear.
    It is a complete Mystery. ;) ;)

10. Starblast Well-Known Player

a lot of the times...people go through the process of making a character and the name they want whether it is an original idea or has a name that can't be used and then keep having to come up with an idea. OR just like PSN or XBOX live username it often has xx's and oo's or numbers etc. so they just use that so they can play. if you are creating an alt the best thing to do is try to add a friend with that name and it will say "that player does not exist or something" and that name is probably available. there are also many many many ideas and concepts to have a character look like your favorite DC character but have an original name that is relevant. I made a new toon a while back and was stunned at all the name ideas out there that were cool.
  11. Fed up player #10 Well-Known Player

I always try to create unique names for all my characters. Usually something to go with the power type. I like to avoid any of the usual ways around the filters with numbers or what not. I think we night need another name purge to free up some of the classic names now that the population is declining. To the op be careful using actual in game names because its easy to cross the line of the TOS.
  12. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

While some people like to play their original character, some of us just want to play as our favorite character... whats wrong with that? The most importance things for a game is to have fun...

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  13. light FX Steadfast Player

Really? Why are ya so concerned with the names of other players? It really sounds like u couldnt get a name u wanted so think others shouldnt have the names they do. Cmon now. And if that isnt the reason well i still cant understand why ya care about this. Unless someone has a truly offensive name it shouldnt matter. I could care less what other people name their toons. Is their toon after all. Especially considering many of the great names are taken. Its not like there is an abundance of names out there. So if someone can use an I as an L why is that a problem?
    • Like x 5
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

To all those supporting and praising unoriginality and filter-bypassing, bravo and welldone!! :golf-clap:

The ability to blatantly rip-off Iconics has only been in the last couple years: how many years was it before they would allow something as simple as a Green Aura? People whined and whined and whined before DBG finally caved in to pressure

Sure, have a character inspired by one the Iconics (not just DC either), but blatant copying? In a game where you are supposed to create your own hero or villain? And people (including people in this thread) rubbished MHO for 'forcing' people to play as an actual Iconic

It's one thing to make a set to look like an Iconic (even super heroes enjoy dressing up at Halloween), but to make your character not only look like them all the time but to even go as far as copying their name? What the **** is wrong with you people? o_O
  15. Saami Loyal Player

It doesnt bother me. Let people call their characters what they want.
    • Like x 3
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Be right back, going to create a new character: SAMMl
  17. lfc09kris Well-Known Player

How far can 1 individual reach to find something to complain about :rolleyes:
    • Like x 2
  18. Tarif Committed Player

I dont care about those names, or the dc and marvel mmo cos player toons...Im more annoyed by the Old G, Triple GGG, VVVVvvXvOGvXvvVVVV, like my OG Name?- Im selling it in the middle of this raid! - names. I thank the sacrament of hard and continuous liquor in dealing with these people when I play on some nights.

I put them in the highest regard on our MMO. Right up there with the many wonderful and diverse people that Gangbang on the Shout channel. W in the F.
  19. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

We make Iconic replicas all the time in the Costume contest thread, isn't that Blatant Copying too?

You don't complain about that, but complain about character names.There's also no need to hurl personal remarks towards other forum members.

You were also saying Creating your own characters in DCUO doesn't set it apart, either.. And now your going off at people for being"unoriginal" which one is it?

• Like x 2
  20. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Replying for no reason.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.