AM vs pftt

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by pitbullb3, Sep 19, 2017.

1. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

I've read where players put down other players with the "AM baby" or say "easy mode is gone with AMs". Pftt is AMs but easier. Here are the reasons imo.
    1. Pftt have some range restrictions but It's nothing like AM which had melee/mid-range/full range restrictions. Earth and Rage are the only 2 powers who really have high risk/reward
    2. The Devs took some counters out of pftt. They can be block broken but not blocked. AMs were fully counterable.

Because of the 2 reasons above PFTT is actually easier than AM, so pftt is easy mode not AM.
    • Like x 5
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Stop making sense xD
    • Like x 1
  3. Mazahs Loyal Player

HL is laughing at Earths risk/reward!
    • Like x 2
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Well, if you go back a year ago. The very first announcement of the revamp. The devs felt AMs were to hard for some players. Yes, being told the exact loadout and how to use it was to hard for some. So The revamp happened and now we have balance, right? Balance in that the AM is not labeled like before, but it's still there.

One other interesting note about the risk reward, why are rage and atomic the only powers to benefit from this? Most powers have range and melee powers. This picking and choosing which power benefits from this and that just leads to more imbalance. Look at how horrible the damage is from tsunami strikes compared to the healing side. Earth, rage, and atomic do not get penalised like this.

Just face it all, balance is a dream. In my opinion, we need to hurry up and finish this year long revamp. Content will keep end gamers not nerfing what they've spent two months building up. Totally feels like a power respec update this week. Now that we may have to play more ranged, other powers will look stronger and nerfs will come around again.

How many more months until the towel is thrown in that the revamp of powers was a fail, and maybe just removing the CR and leaving AMs would have been a better time and money investment. Just feel the last year has been a wash.
    • Like x 4
  5. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

I never played HL so idk. I never see any HL using melee dps
  6. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

If we're playing the "what if" game, I'd much rather they had taken the time to balance everything prior to Weapon Mastery and Power Mechanics being created. The past few years have been trying to fix parts of the game that didn't need to be changed that much to begin with. They could have just flattened stats and balanced powers a bit before tier 6 started.
    • Like x 1
  7. BumblingB I got better.

[IMG]

Let's step back a moment.

What were "Advanced Mechanics"?
    Boosted damage based on a theme of your powerset.

What were the types of "AMs"?
    Mobile, Advanced PI, Pet, DoT, Combo.

What did you do to get that boosted damage?
    Mobile you get to walk around, but still followed an activator(s) power that caused the boosted damage OR using a certain number of powers to activate the boosted damage state for attacks in succession to be boosted.
    Advanced PI series of 3 attacks that activated the PI that would boosted the special 4th power.
    Pet hit a power that feeds power to your pet who does the big damage.
    Combo you would have to be comboing for a short time before you get boosted damage on your combos.
    Damage Over Time (DoT) based would be a passive damage that you actively use your weapon while it damages "over time".

Well, that's interesting. How is Play From The Tray different?

Good question, because there is NO BOOSTED DAMAGE.
    YOU DO NOT HAVE A SERIES OF SPECIFIC INPUTS THAT YOU HAVE TO DO.
    YOU CAN USE ANY SET OF POWERS IN ANY ROTATION.

Hold up, but what about power and AMs? Aren't they the same?
    No, no they weren't. You could actually do the AM's boosted damage w/o your power back mechanic active. Yes, some of the AMs had it initiate while do the thing you do to get the damage, but not all. It was added on after the fact with Nature. Power return now is not exclusive to damage role either. You can increase your power regen by just simply increasing your power pool no matter what role. It's your Min/Max spec that dictates it. Not stance.

So you are telling me that PFtT and AMs are different?
    Yes, yes I am. The only correlation that they have with each other is the "from the tray" part. THAT'S IT.
    • Like x 17
  8. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Can you elaborate please?

I just switched back to HL, I wanna know what you speak of...
  9. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

[IMG]
    • Like x 6
  10. Streven Dedicated Player

AM mechanics were great. The boosted damage was what was broken. Now we have the best of both. Freedom and flexibility with pftt loadouts with the best balance this game has ever seen.
    • Like x 4
  11. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

PFtT was made an option for people that wanted to keep an AM type play style, they certainly are not AMs.
    • Like x 3
  12. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Another reason why Pftt is easy mode, now you get boosted damage from every power. AM you had to build it up and up until a year ago, if you were knocked down, you lost damage. Now with pftt you just get up and continue to spam power.
    Pftt don't have power regen, but power is mixed with the main stat and it can be maxed out with 238(246 tomorrow). Forgot about sp after 250 don't really anything for your damage.
  13. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

We had flexibility with AM, but everyone used tge optimal loadout like everyone is doing with Pftt. Sorcery have to use movement powers. Never had that problem with AM
  14. BumblingB I got better.

THERE IS NO BOOSTED DAMAGE IN ANY FRIGGIN WAY! NONE! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

All attacks are based on your might and the base value of the attack. That's it. Where are you getting your information from, because it's NOT in the game.

And before you get all "we didn't used to pftt" before AMs, there was a number of powers sets that did. Fire comes to mind. Light up until Omaar. Any phase dodgers were mostly pftt with HB solar flame spam.
    • Like x 10
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Lol.

Oh wait, you're serious?......

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

AM had no flexibility, one-trick pony. One loadout to rule them all. Only certain powers it was argued had SOME flexibility like celestial or quantum, or atomic, but those were seen as mediocre in comparison to the mental, gadgets, and ice giants that were all one loadout
    • Like x 6
  16. Wallachia Devoted Player

Actually is the other way around. Ams - specially Rage - required one specific loadout. Rage only had ONE variation. ONE. Now, with fart from the tray (*pftt*), we can have any loadouts we want. I am yet to see a Rage player using the exact same loadout that I do.
    • Like x 1
  17. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Rage had 2 range and melee, now rage have 2 range and melee.
  18. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Not boosted damage, but all powers do the same damage, so now you lose close to 0 damage for getting interrupted. Just stand back up and spam powers again. Hb phase dodge spam was t5 only. Before and after t5 up until u47, DCUO was heavy weapon damage. AM was harder to play than pftt.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Swing and a miss.

He is saying the powers he use either for range or melee are different than other players. And you do realize the whole notion of "range" and "melee" has and will always be in the game. There was no "midrange" until players cried and they added it in and then removed it.

Weapons
    Powers

Range and melee.

Why are you trying to push this? You are not proving anything.
    • Like x 2
  20. Streven Dedicated Player

Just go ahead and plainly say your agenda cuz you're not making much sense.
    • Like x 4