The graphics engine

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ashtin1979, Oct 20, 2016.

1. VV Dedicated Player

I think there's a much higher potential for Unreal 3. What people are asking for, isn't to make the game vastly different from what it looks like now. It's more like "it can look better".

For example, "Remember me" was a visually stunning game made using unreal 3. If you observe closely. Some of the particle physics, how lighting interacts with surfaces etc is kinda similar to dcuo. What could be added are post FX. Additional filters to the current game to make it look better. A lot like adding ENB.

If you mod GTA San Andreas. You'd have an option to tweak reflective bump and water. Those minor changes make a VAST improvement to the visuals. Per pixel lighting etc can also be improved. PS 3 should be running a different version of DCUO by now, a graphically inferior one. PC and PS4 could get a post processing update like ENB or if possible even higher resolution textures etc.

Ps3 won't be able to handle these extra stuff. Just like running a game on a mid pc with low/mid/high settings will not work. :(

If only modding was permitted.....
    • Like x 4
  2. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

[IMG]
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thing is, I'm not sure how many apples-to-apples, direct comparisons can be made when using other games in comparison.

There are plenty of games out there using the same engine, and some with close to (if not the same) online features as DCUO. But the amount of customization available for each individual player alone has to be taxing on the engine, so unless another game matches DCUO in a direct comparison and outperforms it, the comparison can only go so far. Plus if someone uses a single player offline game for their comparison, it's really tough to say it's an accurate comparison.
    • Like x 1
  4. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Compare recent content to launch (or the alpha footage that some people like to point to every week) and tell me there isn't a huge difference in graphics quality. Obviously there was the big graphics update before PS4 launch but graphics in general have been improving a lot over the years.

My favorite example are the potted palms. The originals look like garbage compared to the improved ones from 2015:
    [IMG][IMG]

I do wish they would go back over the player models and some of the old iconics to improve the eyes.
    • Like x 4
  5. Megzilla Developer

Its more fun to poo on the PS3 than give the full explanation..
    • Like x 8
  6. Megzilla Developer

yes
    • Like x 5
  7. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

8. DCUO Post Loyal Player

The only thing the PS3 is good for, is making it a bed for my ferret.

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  9. Johnny0276 Dedicated Player

Wow. Just wow. Dev's getting in on that alienating action too. These forums...at least PSN is back up again. Can log out here and back into the game.
  10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

This is a good example of what I mean.

Do I want the developers to go back, delete what was there before and replace it with better looking things? or would I rather they just made new, better versions of existing things? Base items, especially.

Taste is subjective, too. Whilst the original Palm is ugly, it might appeal to some people. So is it fair to go back and take that away from them? I'd personally rather have more options.
    • Like x 2
  11. JasonIsley Devoted Player

LMAO I'm getting a PS4 stop pressuring me!
    • Like x 1
  12. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Of course especially with base items and styles there is little reason to revamp old ones when they could make better new ones instead, apart from bug fixes. Another good example are the Amazonian styles. The original Greco-Roman compared to the original Amazon compared to the AF1 styles is quite the improvement.
    Environmental objects and NPC are getting remade all the time and I think should be replaced in old content if new versions are made for new content, no need to go back and just remake old stuff just for the sake of it. Obviously in the open world that can lead to performance issues after all with our problem child platform which I remember was the reason why the great Sons of Trigon demons didn't replace the power rangers style demons from launch.

Have fun with those games. I play on PC and I'll stay here anyway, no need to feel sorry. I'm here for the game mechanics and not the pretty graphics, and for me both Valiance and CO look nowhere near on par with DCUO in either.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

And most of the graphics update isn't visible on the PS3, IIRC.
    • Like x 1
  14. BumblingB I got better.

That looks like a coffin, just saying~
    • Like x 4
  15. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

o_O
  16. Megzilla Developer

#pcmasterrace
    • Like x 13
  17. Proxystar #Perception

Developers platform preference confirmed :D lol
    • Like x 3
  18. biroid New Player

Mmorpgs are designed for all types of pc better graphics means high profile pc, this limit people in game, but devs can create a high definition patch for non poor players who can waste money like crazy, althought udk is obsolete and dont have capacity of high end graphics.
  19. Swiftduck Loyal Player

Not sure what happened but I can still tweak my graphics in my Nvidia control panel
  20. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

#pcnoobrace*