So, my computer is holding me hostage with a gun to my head...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by The 14th Doctor, Jun 2, 2016.

1. The 14th Doctor Dedicated Player

And it's trying to make me download Windows 10. But, I'm not sure if Dead Rising 3 will work with Windows 10. I haven't obtained all of the collectables yet, and the DR3 forums are useless. Does anyone have the game and Windows 10? If so, does it work? Please answer me so my computer doesn't shoot me...
  2. The 14th Doctor Dedicated Player

It's been 13 minutes and no views or responses. Is no one concerned?
  3. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

It's been an entire 13 minutes? Wow... someone needsd a chill pill. :p Personally, I'd wait. A quick google showed me a lot of people are having issues with DR3 and Win10. That said, I've been using Win10 since release, and I would much rather have that than DR3 anyway. :)
  4. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Um... what? You do know Win10 isn't exactly new?
  6. JeffEllis Committed Player

In my line of work I've encountered people as recently as the last year with Win 95 and 98. They're always surprised when I tell them this program or that program won't work.
    • Like x 1
  7. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Neither is the "Zune" but i dont use either for the same reason :p (i kid i kid, i just have an unreasonable dislike for Win10 :D )
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

This is why I prefer my console. Less complicated lol.
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

This thread is confusing. :oops:
  10. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

No it isn't. 20 years ago Microsoft tried their best - ok, some will say that ain't much anyway ;) - to keep downward compatibility with their new OS releases up. Some years ago, most of the industry including Microsoft decided that downward compatibility is a bad thing and users should part with their money more frequently anyway, so they dropped out of it. I for example have a licensed, old to vintage version of the old PhotoShop 6 (before they started numbering them anew and completely messed up the UI IMO) which I love to work with still, but sadly won't run on Win 64 bit systems. That said: PS4 ain't downward compatible as well which is why I keep my PS3s around and in shape.

So I disabled the automatic Win10 update and stopped installing most of the stuff directly to the physical machine and instead use VMs with the operating systems recommanded for certain software since I still have the licenses around anyway. As long as my VMware player runs on Win 7 and as long as hardware is produced with drivers for Win 7, that complete branch of industry will never see another dime of me just for trying to force me into permanently updating. Maybe 20 years (probably sooner :D) from some protocols will change and force me to upgrade the mail&browser VM, but until then, I'm fine. Stuff isn't automatically better because it's new. The only things getting me to update my main machine again is defective hardware or a gigantic video game with no console release.

I also can't understand why people complain about the rat race in DCUO while they willingly take part in a couple of everyday rat races anyway. Besides gaming and high resource editing (videos for example) or setting up and managing a private network of large dimensions, the "more power" in new hardware is barely noticable and "new versions" of the same software hardly add functionality nowadays either and instead have the user re-learn the UI permanently, diminishing time to really work projects instead. As of now, my old Win7 machine will be strong enough to run Star Citizen, and that is - as of now - the last non-console video game I expect to really blow my mind. All the other stuff has been done before, just in lower resolution etc. Opt out, people.
    • Like x 2
  11. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Couldn't have said it better :)

My M.I.A PC was a monstruous desktop from around 2000 which usually lived with its case open and i only upgraded as i saw fit, needless to say, it ran a personalized WinXP (yeah o_o i love xp) and did everything else on a virtual box, despite the age it ran most things flawlessly, included Arkham City (back in 2011) and DCUO. It worked way better than my up to date pc, unfortunately when we switched continent it decided to part ways and headed elsewhere to never be seen again (basically that was the airport's explanation).

Anyways, yes, sometimes, i've found, companies decide to downgrade their stuff or reduce their durability in order to sell upgrades/parts, goes the same way with software, most upgrades nowadays (imo) are GUI updates and pointless enhancements that a user could very well do at home or not need at all, Windows being one of them, because really, to this date i've yet to find a feature from the new Win that makes me go "Oh! this was needed!", its mostly flashy UIs that i will most likely remove.

As for the Doctor's gun to the head feeling, i feel you :/ i did not isolate my work pc and it's already nagging me too and i really hate Win10 :(
    • Like x 1
  12. JeffEllis Committed Player

The difference is at the enterprise level mainly not he home user. It's just a UI change for home users. For networks though, there are things that needed changed as 7 is outdated and 8 has...we'll call them issues and be nice.
    • Like x 1
  13. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Yeah, i guess you are mostly right, the difference is steeper on a bussiness level, though this constant chase to get users to upgrade is annoying x.x
    • Like x 1
  14. JeffEllis Committed Player

Can't blame any one company though. Hardware changes are the bottom end driver that require changes to drivers and softare that in turn require changes to the OS and hardware changes come because end users want graphics cards or CPUs that go beyond the limitations of humans for some silly reason. So it's not really the OS, hardware or software companies that keep upgrading it's the end user that keeps demanding they do it.
  15. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Which is the easiest way to go for big companies. Smaller and medium companies very often depend on older software that does not run flawless on Win8 or Win10 or even Win7 in some cases, and those are especially in times of global financial crisis unable to completely change software and/or dependent hardware (CAD machinery) just because the office PCs need to go Win10. Enter either virtualization of machines or keeping old machines online, completely negating the extra power claimed to be "ready" for networks and performance etc. Cutting downward compatibility is a poor move declining to serve any niche market upfront. It completely kills the "P" in "PC".
    • Like x 1
  16. JeffEllis Committed Player

The P in PC is already dead. Most small and medium businesses, at least the ones that actually run their business like a business, have already moved inventory management, payroll, etc. etc. to cloud services ran from tablets/phones and are doing their POS via apps like Square for example. Sales groups are the same way. All they need is a smart phone. Being in the industry gives me a nice insight into how businesses run their services and I see this time and again. Those who cling to old technology just don't survive in the long run in today's world. Like it or not, that's just how business runs now. Adapt and evolve and at a faster pace than ever before. Echosign, Square Reader, Salesforce, Quickbooks, the list is endless and none of it requires an actual computer. There are so many online and cloud based options to run a business there is just no real need anymore for most businesses to have a computer.

There are a few exceptions to this and those exceptions need an IT person, even if it's just a 3rd party on-call type deal. They need someone who knows their systems, their needs and can help them adapt. Anything less is just poor business management. You have a mechanic for your car when it breaks. You have a doctor for your body when it breaks. Why is it considered okay in the business world to not have an IT for your system when it breaks? If a 3rd party company updates their software and it makes changes you consider business critical and you have to update an OS to support that change and it's a business need, then call a professional. It annoys me to no end that "lol I'm computer illiterate" seems to be an okay thing while those people expect others to fix their stuff for free or to continue to support their obsolete software and hardware in perpetuity.
  17. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Sorry, but your basically saying that every small and medium company that is actually into production and not just accounting/consulting/other branches service is either not running their business or an exception. That's IMO a poor view on business, considering that a huge percentage of jobs in accounting/administration/consulting/service and especially mid-level management are useless (as often stated by people being doing exactly those jobs). Heavy machinery for e.g. CAD miling etc. is expensive and often has not paid off when their interface is rendered "outdated" by the IT business moving forward without being downward compatible. It is actually not running a business to replace intact machinery before the costs for it are covered by the income produced.

These companies you render "exceptions" do usually have a full staff of IT, but what you expect them to do if there is no driver support on new hardware for old OS and no driver support for old hardware on new OS? Program the drivers themselves? Provide an OS of their own for the company? I'm totally with you when it comes to businesses who decide to have some clerk run IT if necessary or do not realize how IT dependent their company is, trying to avoid any costs for human IT resources. I wish them to pay double or triple for IT problems, even to the point of losing their business in total for trying to go cheap on IT whenever I encounter them. I'm however talking of branches that exactly know how IT dependent they are, are well staffed but pressed against the wall by business decisions of other companies dominating the IT market in OS and/or hardware.
  18. JeffEllis Committed Player

They should be upgrading their OS. Business and technology continually move forward. This isn't the 50s. This is the information age. Are you aware of the rate at which hardware and software are evolving? Processes and storage are more or less on exponential trends right now. CAD software is already being done online by some companies and more changes are in the works to move more of those kinds of software environments online. If a CAD program is do important to your business, why isn't there an operating plan in place and reserve fund for supporting changes and upgrades to that program?

Let's you use AutoCAD and it's mission critical. Intel develops a new processor that allows yet another doubling of calculations per second. AMD builds a GPU that allows graphics to do this amazing new thing that is just awesome. AutoCAD says wow, we can use these two new pieces of hardware's abilities to make our program run faster and more efficiently and speed up a company's ability to process their changes and deploy them to their computer driven lathes to build their widgets faster. We're only going to support the latest OS though because that new CPU and GPU can't really be maximized to it's full potential on the old OS.

Company A and Company B both make widgets for the same market. Company A has an IT person who has prepared contingency plans and upgrades schedules and the company implements that cost and plan into their budget so when that new version of AutoCAD requires new hardware and software they are prepared. The software is releases, upgrades done on the planned time table, they rollout the changes and increase their production schedule. Company B is not prepared and doesn't want to upgrade because they've been doing it this way for 20 years and by golly they should be able to continue to do it this way for 20 more years.

I'm a business owner who needs this widget to go in my product. Company A says hey, we can get you that product 20% faster than before. Now, I've also upgraded my systems and I'm able to up my production schedule 20% and produce more product so this is great. Company B says we've been making this the same way for 20 years and by golly...and I walk out of the sales meeting at this point and sign Company A's contract.
  19. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

I'm not talking about the software but the machinery that will finally produce whatever is drawn/designed with that software. You still focus on the guys sitting behind screens on their desks, clerk style people. I'm talking about sending the results to a machinery type that costs millions to replace and in some cases still uses the 8 bit ISA slots for their interface cards. Your logic basically tells companies to trash working machinery worth a million or 750 grand to replace because some OS ranging from 50 to 150 bucks each doesn't like to continue support. That's out of any proportion. You focus on secondary business types in your examples. Without a manufactured product, there is no need to administrate workers, work plans, quality control, to have business meetings, to communicate, to offer service in product maintenance, nothing.

(Fun fact BTW: in quite some countries the ATMs still work based on WinXP since the banks decided having a "special" deal with Microsoft is cheaper than replacing the.... machinery ;) So even in secondary business decisions to not go with latest technology is made on larger scale. That extra CPU and GPU power you speak of is simply not needed in a lot of cases, rendering the decisions down to virtually no benefits versus costs.)
    • Like x 1
  20. JeffEllis Committed Player

I don't know the specific machine you're referencing but I have been in a few factories and seen a few types of machines including ones that build car components and appliance components. Those had modular interface slots on them so in the event of an upgrade, the interfaces, software and control systems were all modular and could just be pulled and replaced without replacing the machine itself. If these systems you're talking about aren't modular then either they are obsolete or were a bad decision to begin with to purchase non-modular systems. That would be like buying a car where you had to scrap the entire car when the battery dies. I recall a few years ago an upgrade at an auto parts factory that ran a lot of weld cells making catalytic converters and exhaust systems and they needed to change out their control modules for ones with proximity sensors. It took a weekend and not a single machine had to be replaced because it was all modular just swapped out the control panels. That's how good, forward thinking machinery is made.