Truth about Weapon Mastery

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ComicsKid, May 30, 2016.

1. ComicsKid Committed Player

So tell me,
    I am a cr165 Celestial Healer with a 162cr DPS on another armory. I hear that there are advantages to not opening any weapon mastery on either role. I use weapon Mastery in both roles. what will my character gain if I respect his SP without weapon mastery for either role?
  2. bmce84 Loyal Player

it's like 20% more might or something like that.
  3. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Well celestials different. U dont need wm because your combing
    • Like x 2
  4. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

Um, no. LOL
    • Like x 3
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

Using WM as a celestial dps lowers your damage potential by 5%. In the long run of a raid or alert or even a duo that 5% can turn into a 10-50% damage loss depending on how long and how many enemies there are in the instance.

As a healer it is crucial to have WM since there is no power back mechanic in healer role. And even so WM in healer role reduces your next power cost up to 33% depending on which WM you use.

Honestly if you use WM for celestial dps then I would recommend reading the celestial guide since I havent used WM for celestial dps at all since AM was introduced.
    • Like x 2
  6. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Just unlocking WM gives you +20% weapon crit damage and some cc resistance (I'm not sure about the amount but I think 15%) when having that weapon equipped. Equipping a melee weapon without WM will give you the cc resistance and 15% weapon crit damage and you should get additional 5% for using the combo AM in that case to get the 20% total. Equipping a ranged weapon without WM won't give you the cc resistance or the crit damage but you should still get the 5% from using the combo AM.

All of this is independent of your stance.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are actually using weapon attacks is that some combos do a lot more damage if you don't have WM unlocked, those can compete with the raw weapon damage of WM. Some combos are just different with WM. For example, if you unlock Bow Mastery your Explosive Shot only does roughly half damage but is an aoe instead of single target.
  7. bmce84 Loyal Player

well instead of just
    laughing you could tell what it is, then again that would be actually helping.
    • Like x 1
  8. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

I think I help enough on this forum where I'm free to occasionally laugh at something like "20% Might" :p
    • Like x 2
  9. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Celestial isn't even might based for one.

Two, not speccing WM just frees up one extra sp per tree to be used somewhere else.
  10. ComicsKid Committed Player

so you're suggesting that i ditch the wm for dps stance but keep it for healer stance? I use hand blasters for both stances.
    I wonder if this is why my DPS isn't putting out a lot of damage even though I'm using the weapon mastery
  11. ComicsKid Committed Player

I don't think that's accurate. And I think one of the celestrial trees is precision based and the other is might based. I'm almost positive that there are bonuses to not specing weapon Mastery just as well as specing weapon mastery
  12. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

>_>
    The cursed tree has a 45% might buff in it. But it's not actually might based. The initial hit for any celestial combo is always might. Then the follow up, more potent, part of the combo is precision based. Same with rage and HL.

When you spec Wm you get the added weapon combos. That's it. Not speccing it simply frees up those points you put into the main weapon combos to get 21 for the bottom row innates. There is no special stat buff for speccing WM that people are referring to. As far as I know one handed flip slash gets a damage cut for speccing into Wm. That's the only effect it really has.
    • Like x 3
  13. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

According to Remander:

• Like x 2
  14. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Wait this is really a thing? o_O
  15. it_was_Friday Dedicated Player

I have a relevant question...

I have heard a few times now that Celestial DPS should nkt use/not focus on using/not bother with their character's weapon.

What happens when the character is out of power?/power is low?

I just find it hard to believe one would "put all their eggs in one basket" as a strategy. Sure, power can come from sources other than the hit meter, especially with AM from a controller based power set, but their have to be times power drops. (Thinking especially of an intense PVP battle in particular.)

I just have a hard time subscribing to this advice, but am willing to learn.
  16. Derio 15000 Post Club

Precisely, you lose a lot of damage just by doing WM as celestial dps. Everytime you break the combo AM with WM you lose damage.
    • Like x 1
  17. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

• Like x 2
  18. AbBaNdOn_IGN Committed Player

I just went through this with Dual Pistols. Not only did taking the mastery disable some of my old combo's that are very helpful it also dropped my damage with the left over combos by half (because they lead into wm's that i dont use). So I just didnt take Mastery for my pistols. Now I have full combo's and do more damage.

I was curious if that would work on hand blasters also. I dont use WM's ever but im pretty sure I took the mastery just because of the description saying some of your moves do increased damage and better crits.
    ---------------------

I will repeat my feeling on the subject though. You should not suffer any negatives for taking a mastery. You should not have combo's disabled or see your dps drop UNTIL you actually take a cross weapon WM skill. IE you spend a point on weapon mastery, fine you get increased damage on stuff and better crits. You spend a point to unlock the WM cross weapon combo of hold triangle x2, THEN that corresponding combo is disabled/nerfed.
  19. Derio 15000 Post Club

PVP is a different case scenario where WM is a good thing to have.

However in PVE celestial has a power back mechanic so if the celestial dps runs out of power then technically they arent dpsing right like at all.
    • Like x 1
  20. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Pretty sure. It's come up in the Cel guide a few times.