Is DCUO Killing off the Tank and Troller roles?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheArmorsmith, Apr 25, 2016.

1. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

When the duo first came out I went in with my 158 rage dps and had a 160 ice partner. He died on all 3 bosses and a few times on the adds as well. I finished all 3 bosses by myself and only had about 10% more damage than him. He just seemed oblivious to trying to stay alive by blocking or countering any of the bosses. He just stood there doing arctic gust until he died. On the positive side he did do about half the damage in the duo overall.
    • Like x 2
  2. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

But this wasn't a conversation about at tier raids. Abs PZr was destroyed day 1 3dps Anda healer

• Like x 2
  3. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

4. ChromeWarriorXTC Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

DCUO is not killing non damage roles, the community is.

I have ran PZR without a tank or troll, without a healer or tank, and with a healer or troll. I have ran PZE without a tank or troll but normally prefer to run it with both, elite is always easier when all four roles are played.

I believe the alerts should not grant roleless buffs, but it does and has resulted in many players not running with said roles. Because of the roleless buff as our CR increases we tend to move away from one or two support roles to the point where we eventually all can play the content as a DPS.

I personally would like roleless buff removed to improve 4 man content and to encourage all four roles being played. It is why I play all roles and enjoy for the most part all roles.

I hope the devs eventually get the drift of how roleless buff is negatively impacting the game long term and has allowed so many bad players to get to end game without learning roles.

Add to the fire no clamping of content only amplifies the issues to where we see 150-164 players who have no idea how to be a good DPS or how to play the non-damage role effectively. Yet, they continue to exist.

I will state this though, the longer I play the more I wish the devs never created the roleless buff.
    • Like x 4
  6. light FX Steadfast Player

And its a 5-6min raid now :eek: Kinda sad to see what imo was a great raid and probably the best elite raid we have had (at least when it worked correctly :p) turn into what it is. I dont want clamping or anything like that. Just thrones was alotta fun. And now its healer drag ares over and burn, 2nd boss burn, then hades dies as people get teleported or even before. Ive done thrones in 5:21 and 5:32. That was b4 we got to 160. Im sure its even faster now, but maybe not because of cut scenes.
    • Like x 1
  7. farm3rb0b Committed Player

For as long as I can remember, out-gearing has been a thing. Even on the initial raids, the stronger your team got, you'd drop a support role in favor of another DPS. With the max CR in the 160s now, 145 is "low" to the top tier guys queuing for things. So they can smash through stuff without the need for support roles.

That being said, I'd take a competent support role any day. Trolls that know how to soft stun so a tank can still group...tanks that make a nice little pile of things to pulverize and face owwies away from the group...healers that don't deplete their entire bar while I was blinking. I think there's always going to be room for good support roles in this game. However, you need a lot more DPS for most groups than support roles. >_>
    • Like x 3
  8. Black Jaq Devoted Player

There are some tanks that like to pull adds through hallways and such. I don't get it. It messes up the DPS of powers like Quantum and Celestial and really only benefits MFA powers
    • Like x 1
  9. megamanzero Loyal Player

lots of players who play as troll didn't actually want to give power to people so this was the devs' answer. now they can spam useless CCs and debuffs and do ~more damage~. not really sure why someone would play a role if they don't want to do all the duties (hehe "doodies") of that role.
  10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i always try to adapt but i never go along with a bad idea.

a good tank is a beautiful thing in alerts and raids.
    • Like x 1
  11. light FX Steadfast Player

I did PZ normal the 1rst day with no tank, multiple times. I know a bunch of others that did too. And people did PB normal the 1rst week IIRC with no tank thru the entire run. Guess i maybe missed the average player part u said. But i consider myself above average on my best day. Ive run into some players who are just phenomenal players, with all 4 roles.
  12. light FX Steadfast Player

Problem i see is most who play support dont do much less even know some of the things u mentioned. Like as a tank turning bosses away from the group. Its the little nuance stuff like this that makes players great. For example superboy in trigon and FoS SM. Hes the same. Face em away from the group because his skull>laser is so fast u cant really block and live unless u are lucky, as a non tank i mean. Ive seen a few tanks in this SM who faced em at the group. U can imagine what happened :eek:
    • Like x 2
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

This - I got 2nd DPS on the scoreboard a couple month ago *with my controller*, using only her weapon.
    • Like x 2
  14. toast Well-Known Player

the problems stems from the change that happened between HoF and T5. the solo tank was a long time coming seeing as not very much of the content required 2 tanks, which is a design flaw that exposes incompetence of epic proportions. T5 brought a severe inflation of stat numbers concerning might vit & resto from what they were with T4, causing players to begin requesting solo heals. which eventually progressed to solo trolls. by changing the rate of increase of these numbers, it forever altered the way the game is played. they NEED to back off on the increases of these numbers so that we can at least get back to 1, 2, 2, 3.

aside from all that, we are five years into this game and they still have no idea what they want this game to be. it's changed every year. and with every change this game was given a completely different identity. and soon there will be another such identity. maybe they should just change the name from dc universe online to sybil online.
    • Like x 1
  15. Apollodarkblade21 Well-Known Player

I see a lot of it stemming from wanting to get it done faster everyone is in such a rush. I remember fos raids taking hours and I felt it was worth it when you completed it but now everyone wants more burn faster burn burn burn burn and healers trolls n tanks don't get a damage bonus so they're replaced.

If they were to change anything I would get rid of the dps role. Make tanks trolls and heals hit around the same make every power in a rotation do damage as well as either heal for healers buff the team for trolls and debuff the enemy for tank. Give every power a cool down timer the stronger the ability the longer the timer and get rid of the blue bar they've made it so we are our own personal batteries anyway so what use is it?

Make it where you need those buffs and debuffs in order to actually damage a boss or else you hit for one.This way roles matter again and it takes team work to complete things not lone wolf dps face rolling and lolling as they leave the weaker character behind to die.
    • Like x 1
  16. Lionxoft Committed Player

Steppenwolf has 3 mechanics that can kill you. Sure, they don't hit terribly hard but if they hit together it's a one shot to most DPS. One is enough to KO an incompetent DPS though. If you want to see a lack of mechanics then I'd say Amazon Fury 1 has very little to none. It has interactables to assist you but those I would consider different.
  17. LT Schmitt Committed Player

DCUO is NOT killing off trolls and Tanks the community is. Try to follow along; Every Alert & Raid is designed to run with an equal share of Dps, Healers, Trolls and Tanks even if you don’t have to. I Challenge you to form a group to run BBS with 1-healer 1-tank 1-Troll 5-dps, and then run it again 2-2-2-2 and tell me which way is easier. The results will shock you, the same also hold true for PZR & PZE.
    We as a community have to get past the idea that just because we can do something than me must do it that way; we are only limiting our own possibilities. While the 1-1-1-5 method that does work and I do use it myself most of the time, we all need to be open to something different.
    Now when it comes to rule less buff I’m all for them, when I have reached that months CR and I’m just running the content for marks, but when it first come out I want 1-1-1-1 just because it is easier to get your feats done.
    • Like x 1
  18. Red Templar Dedicated Player

Then there was the time you ran it with me and I was around 150 and squishy as can be. I pretty sure I died once or twice.

I like Max Range for a reason I am squishy.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

[IMG]
  20. Doctor Nova Devoted Player