PS dps players and base mods (wrong usage or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by anotherpacifist, Mar 6, 2016.

1. anotherpacifist Well-Known Player

I agree. I was never condescending in my tone. I privately gave them a tell. How they reacted, I could not control. I think it's the machismo factor--"you're telling me something I don't know, which makes me look stupid, therefore I react defensively."
  2. anotherpacifist Well-Known Player

Say that to an ice dps who relies on powers that do 35% damage buff. Also say that to might based powers if you can't use escalating might.
    Orbitals and sidekicks are important when you use them--you can't use them willy nilly and get the full benefit.
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Telling someone to fix something implies the way he/she is playing is wrong. That in itself will get a reaction because it's seen as criticism (constructive or otherwise). Softer messages tend to work better in games, but even those don't always work. Some people don't take well to advice/suggestions/criticism regardless of the form it's given.
    • Like x 2
  4. Controller Devoted Player

I get the impression from the OP's submission that the type of advice he tried to dole out was the same advice that I was given - in the same manner....not rude or confronting or anything.

That is why it is rather puzzling (to me) how the thread here is seemingly taking on the climate that the OP was / is trying to "Bully" people. I just don't get that sense, at all.

Mind you - my "advice" path started back in Summer of 2013. I've had the opportunity to Control in a LOT of environments...experience a LOT of mechanics. Now? We all queue up for LD, Artifacts, etc etc and not only do we NOT have time to inspect players, but we do NOT have time to even learn the mechanics....the same mechanics that help set the stage for players to be successful at END game content.

Obviously, players are steamrolling (nowadays) towards the end game stuff. And some of them are hitting a brick wall at Nekron, BlackHand, Talia, Steppenwulf, and even Ingrid (1st Boss NGN). Happiness Home is confounding even end game players, still - and it's been out for several months now?

Again - I just don't see (from the way he posted this) that he was bullying these players.
    • Like x 1
  5. anotherpacifist Well-Known Player

I usually just ask them, "why [this]?" since I might be missing something myself (and it's easier to type). If they can't say why, then I tell them why I think they're wrong.
    • Like x 2
  6. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

That all depends on perspective, though. What you consider bullying may be different from what someone else does. Telling someone to fix how he/she plays the game is a bit of an aggressive way to provide a suggestion. It might have been better received had the OP said, "I see that you have level I and II mods. If you increase your boosts and generator, you can be stronger in this and future instances. I apologize if you already knew that, but I noticed you were struggling, and I think upgrading your mods might help."
  7. The Forest Shadow Well-Known Player

All of the usual comments will be made here. Suck is gonna suck. Mods are totally optional. I never use mine and I've done all of the elite raids with left hand duct taped to my right eye. I know, guys. I know.

BUT...I've been stuck in those groups too. Where everyone is the right CR, we've got all the roles that we need, and for some reason, we are simply not getting through. Last time it happened to me, we were wiping on the first boss of Desecrated Cathedral. I don't usually make it a habit of inspecting people right away, because wipes is going to happen. After the third wipe, though, I had a peek at our DPS. No mods. Not white. Not red. Not orange. Nothing. And I got the same attitude, because this guy had no idea that he'd probably been carried through every bit of end game content he'd done to this point. Now my personal opinion is that everything one has should be modded. EVERYTHING. I'm not going to force that on anyone, though, and I too have finished alerts without difficulty alongside modless players.

But every time I've been held up, it's been by someone without even the white tactical mods. And why? BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EVEN WILLING TO DO THE LEAST THAT THEY CAN DO TO MAKE **** HAPPEN. It's so damn easy to get those mods in place and whether you know how to make your powers hum or not, they're ******* helpful. But a player that can't even be bothered to do that...9 times out of 10, they're going to suck. These are the players who are only making the minimal efforts. Not the DPS who won't use such a child's crutch because the ******* earth shakes with every step that they take.

Just one man's opinion.
    • Like x 3
  8. Controller Devoted Player

I see where you're coming from but you can't be serious. That is basically placing a pacifier in their mouths....

I'm guessing that the OP's approach was more along the lines of your 2nd one, but certainly not THAT soft.

I know that the advice given to me when I 1st started playing wasn't. It wasn't rude, either.

The point is is that the upcoming Episode with Darkseid promises to be the hardest content in the game, period. I'm certain it will stump me, you, and everyone else in the game, at least for a few weeks.

If players are rage quitting over advice offered now, then I'd say let Darkseid rip em a new one.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I'm just offering the advice that was offered me when I tried to provide constructive criticism to another player. I told the player that one power worked better than another on his loadout, and he told me he knew his power and to puppy off.

*The word puppy was used for family friendly purposes. No puppies were harmed in this post.
    • Like x 1
  10. Oz'Ryel Active Player

Now that I see this discussion on maybe someone can answer my concern... I keep hearing and seeing disturbing rumors about a change in the Gear level is going to change (qualifying you for High UP Raids and similar stuff) and the Skill points will matter in the end... is that true or not? :eek:

I'm a Celestial DPS (yes I know Celestial it self has mechanical issues unless u copy a specific loadout) having a hard time getting SP to see if i can UP my DPS to acceptable levels, But I'm hitting a HUGE monster wall with not only this power but with all power, as it seems that unless you pick certain specific load out, weapons, mods, powers or base mods... I will basically suck at higher content...:(

SO, does this mean as we get more content, gear and episodes, will we always be restricted and not have the freedom to chose a load out or any give power or similar stuff because its not effective and if you don't want to be kick out you need copy everyone OP Powers and loadouts...? I just want to know because I like making and choosing my powers... I'm paying for these suppose freedom,and some of the cool powers out... but it feels, each contents pushes further and further away from the freedom of choosing... even my league members as friendly as they seem pressure me to change powers or get more SP etc... so i can do the DPS they need for the high up content... it just sucks when everyones EVEN the game forces u to pick certain load outs...so can anyone confirm this rumor? I play for fun and its not fun at all the high up stuff if its going to always be like that... :oops:
  11. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

And here is exactly where players butt heads. First, let me answer your question: No, you do not need specific loadouts to enjoy the game. Yes, you do need specific loadouts to be competitive as a damage player, though. If you're worried about enjoying the game, play how you like and try to find a group of players who can make up for your lack of damage while accepting that's how you play.

That last part is key. If you PUG and play outside the confines of the game's damage rules, you will likely be ridiculed. If you find friends who will play with you regardless of your play style, you'll be fine.

I have tried to tell players like yourself how to play. I was a jerk for doing so. Yes, those players hurt my groups, but I still think playing the game in a way that is enjoyable is important. While your play style might ruin my enjoyment of the game if you were in my group, it is really up to me to find people to run content with who fit my enjoyment. It should not be my place to ruin your enjoyment by telling you how to play.
    • Like x 1
  12. Controller Devoted Player

My advice to you is this -

Stay with Celestial, if that is your favorite power. BUT - ask some veteran Celestial players for their loadout, AND be will to CHANGE some of your loadout, as well.

Prime example is ME - I was using the first weapon dropped to me in raids or alerts for Controlling. I did not learn until later on that BRAWLERS were a Controller's best friend. I could not fathom using a Brawler for anything, but I was willing to change.

And for the upcoming #statsmatter change? I would not be so concerned with it. It will help those with a lot of SPs, which is fair. But I'm sure that you will be able to enjoy the game regardless.

Those of us with high SP count took several years to get them. Some were carried, others were earned, still others were grinded. It will be good to reap the benefits of them once again.
    • Like x 1
  13. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Your thread title to begin with makes you seem like you want to have the platform wars (and we were just beginning to quiet down too :(...) So "forgive" anyone for accusing you of doing such a thing.

At the end of the day bad players are bad players... they exist on both side of the platforms... and if you really want to continue nitpicking... well let's just say if you're PC you only have yourself to blame... you guys are the ones who need crossplay not PS.

For the record you also don't have to stay in 120 minute Phantom Zone runs, that's your fault for staying.. you probably could have been done quicker with taking deserter and finding a new group.

Now if you excuse me I'm off to go continuing my cross play experience :D
    • Like x 2
  14. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

This is such a depressing OP, no wonder the population was so low for the USPC server.

So uptight.

Learn to relax, it is only a game.

Did you not finish the content anyway.

This is why there is only ONE way to do damage as a DPS, PC players only doing things one way, with only specific mods and powers, only looking to get what they like to hit hard with all the power that only a small group enjoy.

Though the Dev's came up with the AM, it would not have been needed if players from the forums didn't cry, moan and groan how this power or that power is OP.

The HT mods were not required for a specific player, they are open to the player to use how they see fit.

Stop whining.

Do you if the group is taking to long for you, leave or excuse yourself.

Better yet, quit. Log off go play Marvel, I here they are the same no matter who you choose the be.

On a side note how was the Troll in that run on the Hero side?
    • Like x 2
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I read the title and knew this thread was going straight to sh*tville.
    • Like x 5
  16. Neidler123 Dedicated Player

For better or worse people are hard headed and for the most part don't Care about the opinion and advice offered by others if it goes against their ingrained way of thinkung.
    People have a primal need to figure stuff out the hard way and do what has worked for them. Now if your advice fall's in line with something they are already thinking they may be more receptive but for the most part people have a need to figure things out for themselves. They need to make their own mistakes.
  17. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

Remember how it was impossible to beat content before mods came to be... As stated by previous posters although mods are beneficial they will not make or break a player or instance. If you are unable to complete content as a group there is most likely some other problem with the group other than just an un/incorrectly modded player.
    • Like x 1
  18. Oz'Ryel Active Player

Actually that kind of you and its not you or how u tell it...I think... whats affecting me is that since I started its been like this an example of this was..."Someone ask to help for Cathedral Elite, so I help...dint die we completed... then one the same person that ask said: WOW Oz where is your dmg at? where is your dmg at? where is your dmg at? check your loadout...something is wrong...your so low...then later it was with my heals HELPING someone AGAIN... the again the same situation...? Why don't you change power? Celestial is cool looking but it takes too long, its hard, etc, etc.. So I try asking around...read a lot of load out... try a a few mix a lot trying to keep the Curse/Corrupt Theme... but still cant get up there so ...ah, anyway you get the idea...the story repeats it self over and over... I think or maybe does other players had similar issue like me... I usually appreciate the advise but as its mention over and over one can become frustrated and just snap at some point... I think still I would try an apology later when my head cools...that's what I did at one point when it got to much and one of my poor league members said something about it and i just flip out. Also your right dropping out of groups when i realize I'm ruining the fun has work... helps me keep pugs and League members happy. It sucks and it gets frustrating but not much i can do until I can find that elusive balance to be efficient without losing what makes me like my toon or not losing my fun factor. :confused:

Thank you for that clear answer I was so worried. Also thank you for the encouragement man, you have no idea how hard its been when I started doing the high up content... been sooooo Frustrated to a point I been so close to just quit DCUO... because no matter what power I want i will find the SAME WALL over and over... anyway I'm going to give it another try see how it goes following both of your suggestion. :)
  19. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

this is usually the best case.

Most ppl come off as pricks when trying to be helpful, specially toward other end-game ppl who dont have mods or x amount of SP' for w/e reasons. People tend to be pricks and not know they are doing it due to they are pricks all the time and its just how they are lol I actually know a few ppl like this.

and each plat form thinks they remain better then the next hence why the OP stated "PS players" not just end-game ppl in general.
  20. Black5pider Active Player

First things first:

YOU CAN'T FORCE PEOPLE TO PL.AY YO.UR W.AY

doesn't matter if it's for the best, doesn't matter if you mean good, doesn't matter the tone you use... again...

YOU CAN'T FORCE PEOPLE TO PL.AY YO.UR W.AY

(and you shouldn't)

And don't give me any "reasons" they will just be excuses for you to impose certain way of playing, it can be "elite" or "appropriate" or "as intended" or "the way developers wanted" (as if you knew anything about it) or anything, please, just don't.

That is all the purpose of threads like this one.

Some players just want to create a hero/villian to their liking
    Some players just want to emulate existent characters on other games/movies/cartoons/comics
    Some players just want to enjoy the story arcs
    Some players just want to socialize
    Some players just want to create chaos (angering other players ON PURPOSE)
    Some players just want to have fun with whatever they get
    Some players just want to roleplay (as in "ROLEPLAYING" not speaking of combat roles)

And you know what? All of the above don't give a rat's *** about your advices or how to "improve"... AND IT IS OK!!!

Now that we have that clear, let's go at the answer for this thread.

You complain about " these new PS players " that are "ruining everything for you"... and I wonder...

HOW DID YOU COMPLETED THOSE RAIDS/ALERTS/OPERATIONS/WHATEVER BEFORE THEY WERE HERE??

also ...

WHY ARE YOU NOT STICKING TO THAT WAY?

I am a legendary player with 86 SP and 6 months into the game, I don't spend any money on replays.

But you all go around talking of how easy is to get to 200sp and getting hundreds of marks... It may be, but it is also TIME CONSUMING, most of new players will require at least a year to be where you are (and I can assure you that is even faster than you did on your first time)

" oh yeah but you can level up fast nowadays " you may say...

OF COURSE IT IS EASIER FOR A VETERAN WHO KNOWS (or should know) WHAT TO DO!!!

Now, if it's a 2 year veteran the one who is unmodded, then you may have a point, but you complain (and exclude) of the new people coming to the game!!! Go give advice to veterans see what they answer.

If anything you should be grateful that now you have people to run raids with you, or if you are gonna say that you don't need/asked for them, well, then go play with the same people you always played and stop pestering the newbs... What? They don't play anymore? They exclude you? Or why are you not grouping or in league with them??

TOXIC COMMUNITY INDEED!!!
    • Like x 2