DCUO's Gear/CR Model is just a Rat Race. Where's the fun?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nuubia, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Trexlight Devoted Player

Thank you UMBRA, you just saved me about an Hour of work <3 :)
    • Like x 2
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We're confirming a possible discrepancy with the shoulders (will follow up next week), but other than that this is correct and a very helpful way of looking at it. Thank you for making this!
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To each their own I suppose. Personally I feel that, unless you're a game dev, looking at a game as work of any kind or calling it such means you might be doing something wrong. It's more of a terminology pet peeve of mine than anything else.

And I feel you with the phone problems. Auto-correct when I try posting via my tablet is quite the hassle. LOL
    • Like x 1
  4. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

Is there going to be a system were that last boss drops a piece of the rare/elite gear 100% of the time ? Or a way for us to upgrade our vendor gear with marks ? Because let's be honest there's four different cr levels worth of gear dropping between the regular and elite alert and the "luck" system for gear drops isn't that good.
  5. Talwe Well-Known Player

Copied a quote from here. Accidental post.
  6. Prosser Dedicated Player

It's called vendor gear
    • Like x 3
  7. Remander Steadfast Player

Yeah, with exception of Episode 17, the rare and Elite drops give you the same CR as the vendor gear. With Episode 17, they're just a 1 CR advantage.
    • Like x 1
  8. Superskull85 Devoted Player

One other question. What will be the IL of common (trash, green) be in Episode 18, 19, 20? Will it be higher than the rare drops in Episode 17 or will it be somewhere between IL 112 and IL 126?

(I have a bunch of theories but too many to detail in a simple question. Feel free to ask if you need clarification.)
  9. Remander Steadfast Player

Assuming that the Episode 18 raid gear will be 3 levels higher (IL 129), I would suspect the new trash gear will be IL 121. A combination of 121 and the 129 raid pieces will give a max CR a little above 142. The max CR after Episode 17 will be 141. At that CR, in Episode 18, we will have 14 pieces of content in the relevancy band (5 raids, 2 alerts, 5 duos, and 2 solos). At CR 142, we'll lose 2 of those (NGN raid and LH:M duo), dropping us back to 14 pieces of relevant content.
  10. Xibo Loyal Player

Mods + SP = Pointless! But I think that the solution should be to put Mods VII in the vendor.
  11. Remander Steadfast Player

Incorrect.
    • Like x 3
  12. BigAl Devoted Player

Now you're just being lazy. :p

I thought all visible styles were finished between 15 and 16. (As per Jens on the Ep16 webcast.) Wouldn't that mean shoulders would be in 16 and not weapon?
  13. Xanoth Dedicated Player

Episode 16 and 17 seem to match max CR for certain zones (episode 16 max CR is 135, 17 is 141), so I'd imagine the pattern will continue and max CR for 18 will be 145, which is the max CR for FE (and I assume the NG daily and/or weekly), then 19 will be 149.

This would mean 120 trash and 128 rares (CR 141.12).

We should continue to only lose 2 every time we gain 2.
  14. Stamen Dedicated Player

I agree with this. As a player who hasn't maxed CR in any DLC since before Love and War, there's a deep feeling of futility associated with not hitting max CR every month now, which is only a multiplied version of what many were feeling with a 10-12 week release schedule. Now instead of feeling behind only once every three months, we get to feel that way every four weeks.

Something just has to give with the randomness of obtaining max CR. I understand a good deal of randomness for Elite gear - and despite not getting ANY elite raid gear since the Helm of OP three friggin' years ago, I can live with it.

Never getting to max CR for over a year breeds a cesspool of futility and frustration in the player base. It doesn't make us want to reset or run more, it has the reverse effect and people like me logging out a few nights a week to explore other games.

I don't for ONE SECOND buy the idea that once players have their max CR there is nothing do. Why what else better is there to do in a superhero game than running into content FEELING SUPER.

As it stands, with constant pursuit of the near unattainable, I find the "gamer reward" of having accomplished something in places other than DCUO. That's just not good for the game imho.
    • Like x 2
  15. Trexlight Devoted Player

lol potatoe tomatoe :p

And I think he was mistaken, wont really know til the Loot Tables are fixed and the Vendor Gear shows up next week.
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

I don't think the increase in IL of rares will drop from 3 to 2. I fully expect the Episode 18 rares to be 129, keeping the 3 IL trend we're seeing in Episodes 15-17. NGN and LH:M have a max relevant CR of 141, so to lose those 2, we'll have to get to 142.

Let me clarify my prior post. We'll have 12 pieces of relevant content at the end of Episode 17: 4 raids, 2 alerts, 4 duos, and 2 solos. With Episode 18, we'll be getting another 2 pieces: a duo and a raid. That will put us up to 14. We need to lose 2 to get us back to the goal of 12. NGN and LH:M have a max CR of 141. We, therefore, need to get to 142, in order to lose those 2 pieces, and it should be early in the Episode.

If the rare drops are 129, following the current trend, and the vendor and common drops remain 2 and 4 IL lower, respectively, all it would take is purchasing the vendor Chest, Legs, or Back to bump you to 142. The Waist would get you within 0.06 CR of it. Two common drops at IL 125 would also get you to CR 142. If you've skipped some earlier Episodes, 4 pieces of 129 gear plus a fill-in set of 121 trash would also get you to 142.

That's how I settled on 121. We'll see how it shakes out, though.
    • Like x 1
  17. Xanoth Dedicated Player

I see what you were saying now, current trend of max cr being the same as max cr of our lowest relevant content will change over as we full enter the new system. The change to lowering entry to 113 does mess with the 12 piece window also.
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

Well, the relevancy band tends to be larger at lower CR. The goal of 12 pieces is to maintain it at max CR. You don't want to lose content, when you hit the CR maximum. That's why I used that as my anchor point.
    • Like x 2
  19. Xanoth Dedicated Player

I have a pathological need for all patterns and trends to continue or my head explodes :p Ok maybe it's not that bad but it bothers me a lot more than it should.

Also they half of my posts/gripes with the game are about things that have no meaningful affect on me personally other than that they disrupt my happy place and consistency of the systems the game uses, or rather doesn't.
  20. Superskull85 Devoted Player

That is one of my (our; my friends) theories but I ask because there was a math error with Halls of Hades and Patrol Catastrophe and I was thinking that if the math were carried the common (really shouldn't be called "trash" since we need for 2 full episodes :p, blue would be uncommon) gear might be different too. Considering the progression from previous DLC and this cycle was +2 IL on the highest gear available a simple math correction corrects the discrepancies in relevancy.

I also ask so that I know what will and what will not be replaced right away because of the common drop in the next cycle.

P.S. You can make strong arguments for IL 122 and 123 as well but the system of 3 makes things easy and predictable too. Good that we have similar ideas though. :)