Roll back Cheater toons to Feb 3rd & return replays: it's fair

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TKMcClone, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClutchV2 New Player

Well, we will never know what decisions are made in their offices with the finance team as to what they do next, or how long they leave something running before it's time to "get to work on said problem".

Replays are not their sole source of income & that will be taken into consideration when looking at the urgency of issues on the game, when to fix them etc. There is no doubt in my mind that they don't fix issues "when they discover them" but absolutely have meetings in the board room of "if we feign ignorance for X days we can make this much, & if we fix it before this time we can hold onto this much"
  2. FESTER665 Devoted Player

I would think that doesn't happen..... Maybe I'm more a glass half full kinda person though.
  3. Gunny New Player

Not exactly practical...

If you run a 24-hour game, you should at least have procedures in place for a 24 hour response of some kind. Yes, that could mean one or two people that miss a holiday once in awhile to sit and monitor this kind of thing.

You just cant just say "we'll wait till we're back from the weekend" on these kinds of issues when people have ~23 hours a day to find exploits, then for every hour after they are found, the number of times it is exploited is increased exponentially. Then you run into the point where more people do it than not.

Every minute those glitches are exploited, they lessen the value of the challenge - and the game itself. The glitches will always be present, but the response to them is absolutely terrible.
    • Like x 5
  4. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I don't think it stood a chance of being caught, to be honest. The raid went up on the test server about the same time Quantum got it shiny new AM. Anyone who was going in there as Quantum were doing so to see how it's DPS performed. Focusing on finding the optimal rotation. That was the mentality for the entire month, to ensure that it came out and people were happy with it.

Besides, when you go on test server, you'll see that very few people want to actually test. They usually want to just play the content as though it's on live. More often than not just trying to get the best rotations from a power update or the strategy so they can beat it when it goes live on day 1.

Remember when Odyssey posted that they beat Lockdown on day 1? as though it was a massive achievement when in reality they'd spent the last month or so practising on the test server. Not saying they didn't test the raid out and provide good feedback (I don't know if they did or not) but that's the mentality of some players on test. I remember when I was on recently, some guy was shouting for a while for someone to help him in FOS1 because he wanted feats for his character...

Very rarely do you see people testing to try and break the instance. I've only seen someone try it once and it was Penrynn in the Spark of Parallax Solo. He discovered various bugs and exploits in there like being able to stand on the lantern and stuff, which was fixed by the developers. Besides, I don't think they intend for people to only run content to discover how it can be broken. Companies have been known in the past to hire "professional hackers" to try and hack their software in a controlled environment so that they maintain control over any potential exploits and fix them before it becomes available to the wider market.

More often than not, content is put on the test server and the developer say "here you go, let us know" and that's the only guidance we get. No testing parameters. Nothing specific to look out for. No certain things to do. So most people, myself included (although I only really test solo and duo content as it's hard to get a group on there, especially of reliable people who want to test and not just play the content) just play the game as intended.
    • Like x 5
  5. ClutchV2 New Player

Having worked as an accountant for a few years & been in many board rooms (not gaming related though) I can confirm it does happen lol.
  6. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Just because it happens in other board rooms doesn't mean it happens in theirs though is my point....

I don't know, I'm not in on their meetings, but I would hope it's not something they do.... Although if they do nothing to punish those who exploited it I guess that gives us our answer and I'll have to spend some of my 12,000+ replays on the next glitch since it's okay to do as long as we're spending money on it.
    • Like x 2
  7. ClutchV2 New Player

That's the point of alphas/betas and it's disappointing that more developers do not just make people aware in alphas that they must report any huge exploits they find or something.

Instead most players see them as early access to gain an advantage over other players so they can appear a more skilled player.

QT through the door though seem as though it certainly should have been caught sooner, because it's not exactly the most difficult glitch to figure out. Teleporting through walls and into zones where you cannot be hit is always the first thing people look for.
    • Like x 2
  8. ClutchV2 New Player

I get your point, but I think you're looking at it too emotionally, hoping that they're not one of the "typical" ones, when it's more than likely they are.

Most firms use the same cheap tricks when and where they can as long it can be dressed up as something else and not reflect too badly on them lol.
  9. kingmasternova Loyal Player

You could have been in a mission where people cheated & you got that loot for it.
    • Like x 1
  10. Cirocband New Player

True, However I got my gear from the first 2 bosses on elite the regular way. I'm full 100 with the Omni face (which I got from regular throne), and I have a 101 weapon, which brought me to 115.
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yep, you're right but I still disagree about Quantum. Perhaps if the update wasn't done at the same time as the DLC, then it maybe would have been caught by a savvy player, but ultimately, all people cared about in regards to Quantum whilst it was on the test server was it's damage potential and which rotation offered the best return not to mention how to utilise the 2 remaining powers to increase damage further.

QT offered no damage bonus to those testing Quantum out, so it was seen as counter productive to carry it in your rotation.

I just think it was bad luck, wrong place at the wrong time. Especially because Thrones is a brand new piece of content which is supposed to be considered the hardest in the game currently. A lot of people just wanted to beat it more than anything else. Again tying into that mentality of gaining an advantage to come across as a more skilled player.
    • Like x 2
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Just to be clear, it's not okay to exploit, and it doesn't matter if you are spending money or not. End of story.

We are still pulling data, which we'll use to determine how much we know and what actions might be appropriate. We'll update everyone once we have all the answers.
    • Like x 35
  13. ClutchV2 New Player

Also could have been carried through the wall by a Quantum with your clownbox, that's what I did for our groups healer ;)
  14. Norwegian ninja Well-Known Player

This is the first time since the glitch was discovered that any green name has taken such a strong position. This is refreshing. Perhaps there is hope that something meaningful will be done.
    • Like x 6
  15. ClutchV2 New Player

You can give us the morality lecture another time, we get that in an ideal world all cheaters are brought to "justice", but this is not dcuo, the justice league is not out there solving the worlds crimes & situations are rarely black & white.

Whatever happens, there will be repercussions, & I'm sure you guys have all the quantitative data you require to judge the most effective business decision on your end. I personally doubt with 100% that there will be resets, mass bans or any serious backlash from it, there might be a few "make an example of this person" type scenarios where the major offenders have a punishment.

But by and large I imagine it's too costly to you guys to start worrying about every single user, and just plain impractical.

Please do correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.
    • Like x 1
  16. Prosser Dedicated Player

They would just have to run a search for any group that completed throne elite, as it hasn't been beaten ligit yet. Then sit back and drink coffee. Shoot I'd take that job.
    • Like x 8
  17. ClutchV2 New Player

& that's why you're not a developer.
    • Like x 1
  18. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

Probably not would be my guess. Log files typically don't allow you to create database querying tools like what the census data has.
  19. Harlequin Devoted Player

Those are some big brass coconuts you have there threatening Mepps with "repercussions" considering you just admitted to being one of the cheaters. In my opinion, and I'm probably not alone, I hope those coconuts get cracked open by a big ol' banhammer.

Mepps, Mr Stewwwn, please understand how much a lot of us want this progression model to work. It is what brought me back to the game. The events of this past weekend seriously damaged the model for this dlc. Restore the integrity of the progression path and restore our faith in the dev team by punishing the cheaters who broke it.

Thanks.
    • Like x 19
  20. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

Not quite, the glitch wasn't just the elite version was it? If it wasn't then they'll have to trawl through all the normal raid results too.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.