Introduce skill point locks on content

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CosmicDreadNaught, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Whizzkid Dedicated Player

I once agreed that adding some degree of stat lockouts on lower content would keep old instances fresh and enjoyable for newer players. These days there seem to be OP end-game players steamrolling everything and ruining the experience for the new guys. I believe they should be able to fully experience things just as we did instead of having to play catch up to the 110+CR player. However, a SP cap is not the way to go about doing this at all and it wouldn't change a thing. Alternatively, if you gave the high CR players the ability to walk in, the lower level content would be deserted with the exception of newer players.
    • Like x 2
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Can't agree with the communication idea more. In chat (regardless of the channel) you can see a lot of people talking at one another or down to someone else, and I'm sure that carries over into group content as well. Not too many people seem disposed to talking to or with one another.

Part of it I'll always chalk up to the action-oriented nature of the game. The active combat alone makes it tough to talk to people via typing. There's also a couple of things I'd suggest to help chat itself (some kind of audio cue/notification when you get a tell would be great). But beyond that, it's more down to people just not talking to each other.

There's room for improvement on both sides, but if no one even makes an attempt nothing's going to change.
  3. the solowing Steadfast Player

personally i thinkl the SP bonuses should be made to experience so its easier to scale, annd they should allow you to have whatever feats points that existed up to that point in the game and no further.
  4. the solowing Steadfast Player

which is why i feel that the stat-clamp should be mandatory...
    • Like x 1
  5. the solowing Steadfast Player

if its optional, its just a matter of time before new player see loot pinata mode and perfer to take that route
  6. Derio 15000 Post Club

Skill point clamping, NO!! A big NO.

This whole idea is ridiculous. The entire Q system should be reworked and CR standards should change, not SP. A CR100 player shouldnt be able to q up for Lockdown.

But in all reality, make your own group with your own standards and people wont come crying to the forums for their own problem
    • Like x 2
  7. Agnetta Dedicated Player

you know about the innates in the very bottom row of each tree right? restoration, vitalization, dominance & health, and might & precision. the main stats for each role. there aren't enough sp in the game right now to get all of the relevant ones for your role, and the crits.

therefore the more sp you have, the more weapons you can master, the more of those 3rd tier innates you can get that benefit your role.

more sp = better stats

simple as that
    • Like x 1
  8. CdnAtheist Well-Known Player

Again, form your own groups with similar leveled players through LFG or your league. Some of us are only running the lower level content for MoT for our generators or to carry friends and league mates. We have no interest spending endless hours in FOS 2, Nexus, Dox, etc. Or make it optional. I don't understand why you want to force all of us to play the game on your terms.
    • Like x 1
  9. Alekimsior New Player

In find myself frequently at odds with this forum community. For starters, using hyperbole, I'd say this forum doesn't represent a tenth of the game's community. However, we are a vocal bunch, because of that we succeed in world-changing the game for everyone.

For instance, back in the day, 2012, I created my first character. Never got deep into the game, because I found the options limited. Yet, a couple of mechanics were crystal clear.. There were balance between classes, meaning it followed the old rock paper scissors scheme. A troll would have a hard time beating a tank, a tank a healer, a healer a tank. Shify to present day, I see these weaknesses and effectiveness be diluted in the name of 'balance'. The few times I've PvPed regular, I find my shields almost ineffective at reducing damage. I may need to test more, but basically my view is that what ends happening is a nerf out of the most minute of stuff. Which to me brings one of the fundamental flaws of an online game: eventually you may end up facing an entirely different monster. Beyond a iota of recognition.

In this forum, two of the most ludicrous ideas I've heard keep popping up:
    1)Stat clamping
    2)SP requirement.

One nullifies progression, making it irrelevant. The other makes it even harder. In my view, it is a selfish way of asking the game to be played a certain way. I won't discuss of these 2 ideas are complimentary or they negate each other. To me, they are both inherently wrong and flawed. I've said it once, and say it again... the solution to the game is to increase the rewards & enable Nightmare mode. How many games have you beat to unlock harder difficulties?

This is precisely what the game needs to increase replayability. Along with greater liberty to tailor our queue, we'd ensure a more diverse playing environment.

However, to say that stat clamped will solve steam rolling, I believe it is flawed. In a party, players are not this monolithic symbiotic entity. Each member will experience different stuff. Even with high level people. For instance. You are a high level 'steamrolling', you don't care what happens behind you. Behind you lowbie #1 is playing catchup, lowbie # 2 is too busy dying, lowbie # 3 trying do the pickup, while lowbie # 4 is too busy being idle to put PoT while picking their nose. All these variables mean each player gets a different playing experience, by which we end learning the game. High level people don't play the game for lowbies, just making the success rate higher.

To those that advocate in favor of stat clamp, a challenge. Create an alt, preferrably a villain, queue up, document every single time A higher level joined the crew. Then chronicle how many deaths, how many pickups, Power Outs, etc. happened. The result should be a tapestry where each member experienced something different.

Why I suggest villains? Because of another problem the game has: faction population disparity. Case in point:

Yesterday, was on my level CR111 hero toon. A friend that is helping me setup my rival villain league asked me for help to login to Tier 1-2 Raids. I switched over, queued for every single Raid, and the result was abysmal. Too long wait, I decided queue up for Oan Sciencells. I'd even LFg asking people to queue up.

Managed accessing the Alert. The highest leveled char was my CR 50 healer. 2 Dps, 1 troll. I remember against Vice, my group would die, my power too low, and I kept asking for PoT to no avail. Result, only 2 of us remained. I begun to flank Vice, waiting for Soda cool down for damage mitigation. We killed Vice.

Duration of fight was no different. Troll wouldn't PoT, no matter how many times was asked. Against Krona, I was dry to cast Harvest or anything. Everyone, except for a Rage player died. That player revived me. We were surrounded by Manhunters and only had enough time to cast Pheromones before I died. Rage must've been aa marvel, she along with the HoT that stuck, succeeded in killing Krona. I was so happy that I congratulated the player.

There were no steamrolls, only some players that would refuse to play their roles. This type of situations has happened multiple times.

To my experience, this game has a large diversity of people. From lowbies asking to be excused when I run lower content, to players that thanked me for my help. This exactly what the game needs to safeguard and enhance by creating a smarter queue system & increasing available difficulty levels
  10. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

I would love to see more content like seasonal instances in which mobs do damage relative to your cr, it's always funny on an alt to see some 111 / 109 cr getting killed stupidly while you keep roxing with your low cr and sp and finish the instance solo :p
  11. the solowing Steadfast Player

because the fommunity wants its cakes and it wants to eat it to, Lomg ninlewters! SOE do something! YAY NEW LOOT SYSTEM, but we didnt for this.... INCREASE THE DROP RATE SOE!....ITS STILL TOO LOW! can we get a new loot system that promises loot for our role?....OMG UNATTUNED DROPS!.....but they dont drop very often! yes i do get extra marks for not getting something, so i can buy gear from the vendor which is not much weaker then raid gear...BUT THATS NOT WHAT I WANTED. Its been OMG CLUELESS PEOPLE AT END GAME DONT KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING! GET RID OF WALKINS!! But people are still cluless because players overgear and carry them to current tier, SOE DO SOMETHING?! SOE, STAT CLAMPS! YEA THISLL TEACH PLAYERS HOW TO PLAY THEIR ROL...wait...SOE why am i stat clamped too?WTH SOE i said teach them! I WANNA STEAMROLL RAIDS, make it optional soe so if we wana steamroll it we can and those who want it at optimal difficulty can do that.....now lets disregard logic and pretend like the new playerrs wont do walkins the moment they find out its easier to gear up to the max cr that way//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////Which in turn will bri ng back the problem full circe, but the only counter arguement im seeing here is "i dont have the time" which brings up the question, "then why do you play a time sink?" From mulitiple reasons the stat clamp does good for the playerbase, ive listed a few throughout the thread, you are kinda forced to run it clamped, but I am as well, this isnt about me or you this is about the community as a whole. The stat clamp will stop elitest attitudes, having the attitude come from performance rather then gear, itll stop kicks to get overgeared players, players will have to learn the mechanics and cordinate and earn gear, so the mindset from T2 of steamrolling doesnt get applied to current content, it stretches out the content as it becomes a time sink again (as intended) so it keep you here and paying. The community will be more inclined to help players again, hell tanks will start making a comeback, as well as no longer will we see role exclusion, newer players got stuck on that because we exposed them to it increasingly over the tiers, 1 tank 2 trolls 1 healer and 4 dps....If we left the system at 2-2-2-2 they wouldve ran it since that was the norm. But that counter-arguement is so weak since you can only come up with "i dont have time or i geared up to steamroll this"
  12. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

@OP

Based on some rather emphatic statements by Spytle your suggestion will not happen.

He stated that it was ok to be able to buy feat points because *cough* skill points =/= progression. CR only == progression.

If you were to gate on SP then this statement would no longer be true and we would have introduced genuine P2W
  13. Chocolate Enforcer Committed Player

Good thing your not running the show....
    • Like x 2
  14. bull425 Well-Known Player

Just a bad idea plain and simple. Only works id SP are earned through content and such that does not include grinding for defeats. Just a bad idea.
  15. Magician Dedicated Player

Herein lies to my decline in the rat race otherwise known as DCUO.

Got CR? Got SP? No...then go

Nah, I'm not a part of the elistist jerks that tend to run this game into the ground.

I miss the casuality of it all.

That is all.
    • Like x 1
  16. the solowing Steadfast Player

your right because id run you back to the single player experience where you can choose easy difficulty all you want, while you have a 70 hour a week job and only 5 minutes for anything
  17. Chocolate Enforcer Committed Player

Lmao you act like you have something to lose if stat clamping isn't optional.
    • Like x 1
  18. Abstrakt Loyal Player

Why punish new players because some are lazy...i have 180 sp so it wouldnt affect me this would do more harm than good
    • Like x 1
  19. MARK2099 New Player

Stat-clamp is actually somehow mandatory, everytime a new dlc drop players are running content with the minimum cr required, which means they have to replay some time in order to make instances faster.
    If you love a game that make all your time farming gear wasted why not stay in that game? older content never gonna be irrelevant, they have styles to farm, they have sp to farm, they have story, they give you access to marks which are used for so many things like pay HT mods or buy new gear which required current marks plus symbols.
    • Like x 1