Introduce skill point locks on content

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CosmicDreadNaught, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Her02Zer0 Well-Known Player

So no WM in other words?
  2. Sgt Corpsegrinder New Player

Why are people constantly trying to discard all the work people into their characters? 1st stat clamping, now thi?
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

But a skill point total is simply that; a skill point total. Completing a particular feat means you completed a particular feat. That is what they are and mean at the most basic level. Any other meaning attached to them is entirely dependent on the individual looking at them, which makes it extremely difficult to make definitive statements about something so subjective. In situations like that I feel it's best to deal with those things for what they are, not what I (or anyone else) thinks they should be.

You can attach any sort of meaning you want to those numbers if you so desire. But you'd best be prepared to be irked if you share what you think it means, because someone somewhere along the line won't share your particular point of view.
    • Like x 3
  4. Tazpocalpse Well-Known Player

How about we finally decide enough is enough. It is time for a serious solution to this problem. I am so sick of people whining and crying about low sp players in high content supposedly being such a major epidemic problem that every week someone comes here making a idiotic thread with idiotic sp requirements. How about this DCUO take the time to build just one last server the ELITE SP Requirement server (LEET SERVER). This will be for all those that keep crying about various topics like the SP requirements, and whatever other crap they are crying about like the game being to easy and such. All the crappy changes that have been made to the game that they like to give them a timesink ( crappy gear drop raids) and extremely high boss health should remain for them. Since we are wasting time and resources for this server any players that signs up for LEET server remains there no jumping back and forth. This would be the end of the Elitist because once they are all isolated on their own server with no one else to blame for their own miserable pathetic empty lives. You will see the worst case of canibalism in gaming history. No matter how much time and resources it takes that will be worth it.
  5. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

*snorts in amusement*

So you're saying that T3 is impossible unless everyone has at least 75 skill points huh? Then you are claiming me and my friend failed every single T2 and T3 duo we ran last night. His skill points are around 45 or so, and mine are currently at 56 I believe. Which according to your chart would mean it's impossible for us to complete T3 content.
    • Like x 2
  6. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Stat clamping needs to happen. Too many players are walked through content they do not know their roles when they hit T6 and just stink at playing. It impacts the group and they get kicked. It is better to get stat clamp and have player learn roles early on and it makes the game more balanced for the lower level players...I know when I raid outter cavern yesterday the 111 DPS completely ruined the run as he burned through everything, instead of letting tanks tank, healer heal and controller troll...Stat clamping is need...

As for SP, this topic has been beaten to death. Mepps has stated more than once, SP matter. Now can we move on....
    • Like x 2
  7. WashingtonDC Arrow New Player

Thank u so much! "Rolls eyes"..;
  8. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Stat clamping I can understand. After all, dropping someone's might from 30k to 10k would have clear and understandable ramifications.

What I'd wonder is how would "skill point clamping" actually work? Let's say I had 200 skill points and entered an alert or duo which 'clamped' my skill points to 140. Which skill points does it disable? What is deciding which ones got disabled? For all you know, it could end up disabling the skill points spent on your weapon attacks. Or maybe it disables the weapon mastery skills for your mastery attack weapon.

Also, how exactly does having a lot of skill points mean anything? They could be a healer who spent all their skill points on attacks, vitalization, and power recovery/power recovery crit. You just don't know, do you? All you can tell is they have X number of skill points, not what those skill points are actually spent on.
  9. WashingtonDC Arrow New Player

I think the OPs talking about requireing certien amont of sp for content. Not nearfing/clamping sp when ur in content.
  10. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Others in this thread have mentioned using skill point clamping. But again, what does having X number of skill points prove other then you were feat grinding? It doesn't tell anyone what the skill points were spent on, or even if they were actually spent. Just that they were earned.
    • Like x 1
  11. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

SP clamping isn't the issue at hand. It is SP requirement for content. This is an over talked about issue here. I find SP matter little when a player truly understands their role or power to get the most out of it. I have seen low SP players burn the crap out of high SP player. SP is good but does not define a person's ability to play the game.

Now onto other fun and wonderful things...Liking getting PSN up and running for me...
  12. WashingtonDC Arrow New Player

Agreed.
  13. Sgt Corpsegrinder New Player

Stat clamping would drive more people away than it would help. No way I'm going back into older content knowing my gear and stats become useless.
    • Like x 3
  14. Derio 15000 Post Club

Stat clamping content based on tier would only drive DCUO into the ground and drive the loyal customers away. What needs to be done is a restructure of the tier process.
    • Like x 1
  15. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Well, form a froup and walk in. We do it as a league for FOS and other content when a league mate needs something. As for Stat Clamping, it needs to happen. You walking in as a T6 into a T1 alert or a T2 raid does not help T1 or T2 players out; it negatively affects them. I have backed away from using my primary just for this reason. It is too simple and is more of a drag than actually fun. With my new villian toon, it is fun when the group is all about the same CR. It become a challenge again, instead of burn, next area, burn, next area....
  16. CdnAtheist Well-Known Player

Wouldn't the same argument apply to you, i.e. form a full group with similarly leveled players and complete the alert or raid? Conversely, if you que and find yourself in an instance with overgeared players, why not excuse yourself or start a vote to kick and replace the overgeared players? The current set-up caters to all; stat-clamping would not.
  17. Inpent New Player

give it up people it never gonna happen.
  18. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Stat clamping is fine as long as it's optional.
    The addition of teleport portals to every instance will help alleviate the problem that you are describing.... I would see how that works before adding stat clamping to every single instance.
    • Like x 1
  19. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

In general, I concur that some players with low SP can be an unbearable burden. This however does not apply to every player with low SP.

Take Tanks, for example. A fire tank with less than 140 SP used to be useless before GU43 at the start of T5 & T6 (idk if anything has changed about this since then), but ice tanks have without great effort been able to tank everything with 50 SP less than fire tanks.

The massive downside I see for this is that players who make a lot of alts are being forced to either do the grind or to buy the feats from their mains via respec tokens. Since lately I have brought up a couple of new toons, I can tell you that at least on EUPC rarely anyone is willing to do FOS feats & the like.

Even if I agreed with the SP restriction, I think your numbers are by 25 too high. Meaning, in my opinion everyone who makes it to lvl30 should be able to play T1.
  20. CdnAtheist Well-Known Player

While I understand that frustration that some feel towards "elitist" players, the fact is SP have been part of the game since the start and removing SP benefits would be unfair to those players who have spent the time and resources to accumulate them. (My characters are only between 110-120 SP, so I am not including myself in this category.) While I find it difficult to enter new raids because certain groups place SP requirements in order to enter an instance with them, that is their prerogative. Additionally, it is only a small percentage of the community who demand SP (or CR) requirements for running content.