Give Fire Back Its Ranged Capabilities

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TrueMarvel, Feb 24, 2013.

1. XxFlarEBurstxX New Player

I agree that fire needs its trees rearranged in a way that ranged dps can get everything they need.

I agree they need to buff fireburst. it's absolutely worthless for anything other than its 60% damage buff now. And even then i can't see myself using it over mass detonation now. Go ahead and buff other moves like fireburst aswell. 5 second cast time moves with a risk of being knocked out need to hit harder than what they are. Maybe you could reduce cast time, up the damage a bit, or make the move not interuptable or something.

I think mass det is better now. when i tested it it seemed to be far more consistent in its damage. I don't think it needs to be changed, but a new animation would have been nice.

Meteor definitely needs to be fixed. It was absolutely destroyed with this update.it only hits once now instead of three times. and it explodes on the first enemy it touches meaning its damage is limited to one enemy. Really easy way to keep it is and not leave the meteor in line of sight of others would to make the meteors explosion actually do aoe damage equilavant to what it used to do. Then there is no line of sight problems plus it is back to how much damage it used to do. Go ahead and do the same thing with ice if you want to, but the way meteor is right now its worthless. If you keep it like this you might as well remove the meteor power all together.

Things i would like to compliment the devs on for doing a good job on are overheat and spontaneous combustion(Even though i would like to see spontaneous combustion have its own unique burning effect and not be able to be canceled by other fire moves).

I no longer use the ranged loadout, because imo its fairly weak now, but it would be awesome if i had a choice of being ranged or melee, but honestly with this latest update i don't have a choice if i want to compete in damage. Melee clipping is just better.
  2. BO PERRY_CRS Well-Known Player

UnNerf Meteor... Dam shame what you guys did to it. Move disappeared from everyones loadout the day this trash went live. Make the meteor presist through adds and explode when it hits the ground. Or give us back the old meteor and allow party members to attack through it. OR! make it like bunker buster...

COSIGN. Devs, you jacked up meteor....and I never complain!!!
    • Like x 1
  3. xDemeanor New Player

You people are so angry... They remade Overheat a ranged attack with splash damage, instead of an AOE (Which they should have done that with Flashpoint). I say that benifits dps, Fire DPS users now can inflict heavy damage close and afar now (When target is being Burned).... Overheat screws the Fire Tanks with pulling the agro since that makes Fire Tanks have one less ability with AOE, but this is a different subject all together. Some things may have been nerf'd. that just means invest on you SP and and play the game like it was designed.
  4. TrueMarvel New Player

DO you have a full understanding of how overheat works> If so, you should no that overheat doesn't bridge the gap that the nerf opened.
  5. Solarstar New Player

Wait... *ROFLMFAO*... ok, enough of that.

Overheat works better in conjunction with a melee weapon and Immolation up on the target via Immolation itself. Enflame makes it pointless since it is Immolation.

The game was originally designed to have both Sustained DPS and Burst/Burst AoE DPS. However, the trend these days is that DCUO is moving from Burst/Burst AoE DPS to Sustained DPS because SOE was never good at being able to handle how Burst/Burst AoE DPS works in the first place.
  6. Tocimus Committed Player

so you want all the high tier abilities easier to grab?
    you only need 6 powers, a lot of the ones ranged should be using are easy to grab, and hint hint the snuff tree shouldnt be touched. nothing in that branch is worth a point. which means you can get a sc and still get what you want from the tree.
    ranged dps should be along the lines of:
    immolation points- fireball, detonate, fireball barrage; and then on down to mass det if you really want it. (from what im hearing you'd get more consistent high dmg from absorb heat)
    total= 5points for mass det
    or 3
    immolation points- all trees, minus stoke flames and sc
    total= 9 points

4 extra points if you skip mass det - with iconics
    1 extra point if you take mass det. - with iconics

my build allows for melee or range since you actually use mostly the same abilities (you need more precision for an effective range btw)
    imo, max consistent build for range is as follows
    spontanious combustion
    fiery weapon
    inferno
    overheat
    detonate
    nvb /throwing knives /downdraft /fireball barrage/ volcanic calamity/ mass det if you really want it

if you skip the bugged and situational snuff out branch, you get all you want with the iconic passives.

as ranged you can have 3 active dots, four is you use downdraft.

nothing needs to be moved. stop being greedy and trying to get all the high tier dps powers. this isnt the old WoW class specialization trees.
    NOTHING IS LIMITING but the thought of needing crappy powers that are no longer effective or never where.
    • Like x 1
  7. Circe New Player

I'm sorry but Meteor was trash. I cringed whenever I saw someone use it.
  8. TrueMarvel New Player

Meteor was a bug. It wasn't trash. Its DPS potential was awesome. The LoS issue made it undesireable. Devs simply gave it a massive nerf. actually gave us an Ice power... that no one liked on the ice side either
  9. Tocimus Committed Player

it was an easy mob kill. just alot of lazy dps would fire and forget it. while smart dps threw it asap for a fat 1500+ hit.
  10. Darkness New Player

Meteor was definitely annoying on raids/alerts due to LOS as most said but it had its uses. It's great for solo content, good for some bosses or bounties that stays flying like Morrowbot, good for mobs as a final strike and fun with ramps. As a range DPS, it is a great attack on some situations (not all).

Right now, it seems bugged as hell and the damage is reduced. Honestly, I was happy and perfectly fine with the change that the meteor disappear after impact, it would have solve the LOS problem but it causing less damage just made it useless.

Just people some saw it as a "trash" power doesn't mean it has to be ignored or left broken or changed to be worse that it was. Again, give the new meteor the same damage and effect as the previous version and then make it disappear and no one would complain.
  11. Sionn Committed Player

Aaaand, you're wrong. We can't help the dumb people too stupid to know when to use it, or didn't take the 2 seconds to pick it up, and throw it for massive damage in a crowd of mobs.

For those of us who used it appropriately, it was awesome. They can do away with the dropped meteor for all I care, but the thrown version needs its physics back, and to last long enough to plow through mobs, doing the old damage, and setting them on fire. It also needs to to work with super strength like the old one.
  12. BO PERRY_CRS Well-Known Player

Prolly because they didnt know how to use it! I never dropped my meatball around my teammates and cleared mobs like nobody's business. Ive never ran with a group (league or PUG) that complained about the use of my meatball. lol
  13. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Skipping loads of texts here.

Fix Fire's ranged capabilities? Don't you mean fix its cast time burst abilities? I range and I'm still doing well with powers such as Spontaneous Combustion and Detonate. Range isn't really Fire's weakness, although I do admit that some of the better powers are PBAoE.
  14. Lokkii Committed Player

its a common problem with this community, if they themselves get out dps'd, its broken/been nerfed/unplayable etc, its a immature inability to admit fault innate
  15. Muscle Man New Player

You know who else thinks you should stop crying and deal with it?

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  16. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

I tired out the traditional Ranger Loadout last night getting Spont. Combustion instead of meteor:

Spont Combustion | Inferno | Fiery Weapon | Snuff Out | Mass Det | Fireburst

It's as power hungry as ever, maybe more so. Spont > Inferno / Fiery Weapon > Fireburst > Mass Det

While not what it once was in its former glory it is still viable. No you wont see your name in first place if your running against melee clippers that are actually good at that play style but to say its worthless I would disagree.

To me Mass Det is greater than Fireburst for adds at it seems to not split down as low but its really hard to tell in big crowds like the gates hallway. The 2 combo'd together will not some real damage to a large crowd.

If your going to forgo Mass Det, take Overheat
  17. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I went for Flame Cascade, Fiery Weapon, Detonate, Spontaneous Combustion, Mass Detonation and Burnout instead.

I use Flame Cascade for whenever Spontaneous Combustion is on cooldown and I need to burn someone. It's AoE, compared to Fireball, faster compared to Meteor (hurray for jump/weapon cancelling), and cost only 25 more power compared to both of them. Although it is also much, much weaker, since I have Detonate, Fiery Weapon and Mass Detonation anyway...

Burnout is there for breakout purposes. Just a personal style of play.
  18. Tocimus Committed Player

flame cascade def needs a buff. i tried it for a gates run.....consistent hits of 40-76.
  19. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Didn't ask for a buff. Wanted to, but since that got ignored, didn't bother anymore. It's still good for burning multiple enemies though, as a single tick is also a small AoE and, with Detonate and Mass Detonation on my loadout, it gets compensated.

Actually, if you think about it, a jump cancelled Flame Cascade is similar to a jump cancelled Fear Gas. The difference is that Flame Cascade's burning ticks happen much longer than Fear Gas' but you will be able to cause interactions with it.
  20. Dump Truck New Player

Correct, but cancelling flame cascade via jump or power negates a good percentage of the damage. Don;t remember if fear gas is similar but I don;t think so.