Why Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Truvidien, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Truvidien New Player

Greetings,

I've been interested in trying out a superhero game and it looks like it's between DC Universe or Marvel Heroes. I know the gameplay system is different from one to another, but I'm curious as to why this keeps you interested.

Thanks!
    • Like x 2
  2. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

Well my wife's not to keen on me keeping company with other ladies so I play to keep out of trouble.
    • Like x 11
  3. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

For me that's primarily the PvP. Though I am taking a break right now because the break out effect from crowd control effects are horribly broken at the moment.
    • Like x 2
  4. Robogost Well-Known Player

Well I'm a video game nerd and I'm a comic nerd, so it's a match made in heaven for me. I play both games though, but i primarily play DCUO.
    • Like x 5
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The character creation for me embeds a sense of ownership in my toon. Another superhero game might have me playing a Stan Lee or Jack Kirby creation, not something I've had a hand in creating. Some people are good with that, they like playing a character they recognize, but not me.
    • Like x 12
  6. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

Definately a factor..19 toons and I try to make them (& even their armories) look different...well except DoctorFake..he kinda looks Fate ish :p
    • Like x 5
  7. Svnny Active Player

The fighting system and the fact that I can customize my look sold it for me. I love it.
    • Like x 4
  8. DivineSire Dedicated Player

Never played Marvel Heroes or any other type game but I like this game because it has a more "serious" look and feel to it. I watched videos on the other ones but they are too cartoony looking for me.
    • Like x 1
  9. GreenLanternForever Well-Known Player

I dont know, gotta waste time and money somehow
    • Like x 2
  10. apocalypsegodx Loyal Player

I play because I love this game and I've spent like 3 years and aNd about 4 grand on it
    • Like x 2
  11. Little Sister New Player

I just love the whole thing ! Customization, story and friends are probably the main reasons.

Also, usually when I am gaming, my husband is gaming as well, and that's an important and fun connection for us.
    • Like x 3
  12. TheDark Devoted Player

To save the world... and some day hook up with PowerGirl.
    • Like x 8
  13. Alekimsior New Player

I'm a customization and collection junkie that is the main attraction. I have over 13 alts created, each one with different forms, powers and I'd like to think, personalities. Soon enough, each of their bases will be refurbished to further reflect who they are. The main reason why I started playing, was because a brother was playing and thought we could share time in-game (didn't turn out as I wanted), but also, because I was thrilled to see all the changes and new stuff the game had implemented over the years (my first char was created in 2012, but the offer didn't attract me enough to buy Legendary). Now, with all the bases, new powers and content, I feel the game has much more to offer to those that stick around.

Another factor, is that being a console gamer, my options themselves are limited if I want to play a persistant world MMO/MMORPG/MOBA, etc. And between the options, I found the setting and mechanics offered by DC to the most unique and interesting. The action looks to be much faster and gives the player a huge amount of liberty in engaging the game. You'll be very hard pressed to see 2 people playing the same exact way. Or at least, I'd like to think variety is one of the major hooks the game offers.
    • Like x 3
  14. Sabigya Steadfast Player

PvP.
    PvE is bleh. IMO of course :D
    • Like x 1
  15. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

The combat.

You're essentially picking between a point and click game (Marvel Heroes) and a lesser version of a fighting game (DCUO). I prefer to perform all the actions my character does, not point, click and have a couple of attacks fly off. Not to mention, having played both, it's silly to see 11 Hawkeyes running around.
    • Like x 4
  16. John Brawler Committed Player

i'll be honest, the reason i started playing was because it was the only game i could play on a console where i can really create my own superhero, instead of, say, mixing and matching body parts with no real point, or pick one of three characters, now pick one of three powers for that character, okay now pick a pre-made costume that you have to unlock every single other choice only to not get anything that really looks right on the character until the very end.
    • Like x 3
  17. Little Sister New Player

Let's be honest, there are easily 11 Hawkeyes running around DCUO :p
    • Like x 3
  18. VintageWine Dedicated Player

I haven't played in ages, I'm hoping to get back in game, the reason I did play because it was fun and I was playing with the right people. Also, this is the first MMO that I play, I never really gotten into others.

Now, the game is still fun, I just need the right people, thankfully I know some people off the forums that play the game, and I get along well with them quite well. I think that's how one can actually have fun in the game, if the game is fun to them + playing with the right group of people. :) But that's just my philosophy.
    • Like x 2
  19. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

We could play other stuff on Steam *hint hint wink wink* :p

Though the right people not being around was a huge reason I stopped playing after GU36. In spite of legends hardly being effected compared to the rest of the game a lot of my regular crowd did end up leaving so I ended up taking a break as well. Playing with the right people makes a huge difference. As another example I can't stand Borderlands 2. I actually really, really was not a fan of the first one. But Sabigya and I started playing it in co-op and it was a lot more fun.
    • Like x 3
  20. ThunderlesStorm New Player

I play because this is a game where I can be a villain and push people off buildings :D

But really, the combat is great. Pve is fine, but the pvp in this game is super fun! It takes a lot of practice to get good with it, but I really enjoy it.
    • Like x 1