Do we need a big pop up on the screen when a group member dies?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by rival exe, Oct 19, 2014.

1. rival exe New Player

I'm so sick of players not picking someone up and when I ask why they didn't even try, they say "I didn't see". How hard is it to look at the roster on the left or to notice one of the green bars just went black? Seriously, even if you're not healing you should be looking there every now and then..It takes less than a second to glance. -__-

Maybe this game needs big flashing text that says "So and So just died!"
    • Like x 9
  2. Superskull85 Devoted Player

It also shows as a white dot on the minimap.
    • Like x 2
  3. Gale Reaper Dedicated Player

It wouldn't help, trust me.
    • Like x 21
  4. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

While I can see your point, having some big obnoxious pop-up potentially block my line of sight isn't the answer. I would hate to have MY character die because I couldn't see an enemy beating up on me because I was too distracted by a giant pop up telling me someone else died.

While we are on the subject of picking up teammates. People also need to learn that it serves no purpose to pick someone up, if you are dragging the boss along with you for the ride. Then I get revived, just to die again.
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

This. Tunnel vision is tunnel vision. Many players simply aren't aware of much more than their own toon.
    • Like x 11
  6. rival exe New Player

It doesn't have to cover the whole thing. It can be like the text that appears when the boss enrages or is about to KO someone. It just needs to be a different color and possibly have a clock icon that ticks down.

Also only the tank should be dragging enemies behind you so everyone else should be good to pick you up.
    • Like x 1
  7. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

Why don't you just wait to get up until the boss leaves your area? You don't have to stand up right after someone revives you.

To the op: not a bad idea actually. So long as it is not so crazy it blocks common view.
    • Like x 1
  8. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

For me, when I say "I didn't see you," I mean, I saw that someone died, I spun the camera around for a second and didn't see a cog. So, either your cog didn't appear for me, you weren't where you were supposed to be, or you got bounced way off and didn't mention it was gonna be difficult to get/find you. I know there are plenty of people who are bad at pickups, but there are people who legitimately would've had you, but couldn't "see" you. I have mixed feelings about red text in the center of the screen being used for downed players.
    • Like x 1
  9. akaivy Dedicated Player

Communication is key. As a healer I watch the health bar closely and as soon as someone goes down I call I it out and try to tell where they are located. Trolls should be able to do that too since they should be looking at power bars. It should be part of the job.
    • Like x 2
  10. KidMidnight Loyal Player

going hand in hand with that other "too many dps" (or whatever the title is) thread you guys need to keep in mind were on the tail end of a dlc, one month away from a new one with a lot of vet players taking breaks.

this means most of the players running around are playing catch up, undergeared alts, new players trying to figure things out and lone wolves who dont really care about anything.

running the t6 raids the past week...theyve been harder to get through than when "Halls of Power" first went live.

Going to be like this for the next few weeks til the dlc's release is firmly in place and people start coming back to thin out the pug pool.
    • Like x 1
  11. JReel New Player

It is hard for a DPS to focus on the health bars and keeping up a consistent burn. I used to get on DPS heavy for not picking up players in time. That is until I permanently switched to being a DPS. Now I understand clearly. I do feel everyone except the tank should pick people up. I also understand that a lot of DPS are focused on the scoreboard and will refuse to revive people just to pad their stats. But the main players picking up people should be healers and trolls. But don't get it confused if a DPS is the closest to the fallen player they should revive him.
    • Like x 4
  12. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

This is one of the few reasons I'd kick a player for. If someone doesn't pick up a player right next to them, I'll tell them to be aware and pick up when they have to. If they fail to do so a second time they're gone.
    • Like x 1
  13. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

It's really not. I have no problem looking at the health bars and doing great consistent damage. No one's saying to stare at them but it takes almost no effort to glance and notice if any of them are empty.
    • Like x 2
  14. Rhinosus13 Loyal Player

Im in two minds about this, it would be handy in moments when you get tunnel vision (usually when tbe boss is almost dead) as long as its not too distracting but I dont think it would much because people are who they are in this game
  15. Cosmos Girl Well-Known Player

It depends on the group. I've been in some very good groups that will pick you up.
  16. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

Believe it or not, I tried. I don't know why the group decided right near my corpse was the best place to fight the boss, but they did. I would even wait and no matter what they stayed right near me at least enough for an AoE to get me, until I gave up and just didn't revive.

But as that is not the point of this thread. I will say, I have no problem with messaging that someone is down. Provided that it is not so large as to endanger me (or the group) while still being effective.
  17. Crn Well-Known Player

Instead of a pop up that tells you that someone died, how about just have their name start flashing? That wouldn't interfere with your view and if you saw something flashing you would know whats it is.
    • Like x 5
  18. JReel New Player

I am not just talking about looking at the health bars but as a DPS I am sure you know about clipping rotations and keeping up the burn. I have been in many groups where guys used to scream at me for picking up people all because I was a DPS and they wanted me to focus on damage. I already said there is no excuse for everyone (with the exception of the tank) not to revive one another but at the same time I understand why certain DPS would have a hard time reviving players especially if there are adds out and they do not have shields.
    • Like x 2
  19. JReel New Player

THIS^^

I can't state enough how many times a player would need to be revived and since they did not have a mic no one knew. I am tired of running raids and everyone would spread out so much that when a player falls you have to do wind sprints just to pick them up. Or you have to try to roll to them in time since they are so far away.
    • Like x 1
  20. rival exe New Player

What are you talking about? This isn't about dps vs support. Everyone regardless of role should be aware.

If the players aren't looking at the roster anyway how will flashing their names help? The pop up needs to be somewhere else that people notice.