Celestial Powerset Guide/Discussion

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Kristyana, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Remander Steadfast Player

You need to look at what the abilities do. Plague is a might-based single target DoT. cPlague is a precision-based version, so it will naturally cause more damage. DL is a might-based AoE burst + DoT centered on up to 4 glyphs, depending on available targets. If there's only one target, there's only one glyph. cDL is a precision-based version, which again, will cause more damage. The math has been worked out much earlier in this thread (I'll see if I can track it down), but if you look at the total potential damage of the respective might and precision versions in each combo and how they potentially split, DLcP is the winner on single targets. The damage is pretty even, but favors PcDL, for 2 targets. For more than 2 targets, PcDL is the clear winner.

EDIT: https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...guide-discussion.170192/page-133#post-2409531
  2. Xzotix Committed Player

Thanks, that's understandable when able to see the math numbers. Thus it make sense to have both available. I appreciate you finding the post.
    Last question. RcW was a staple move at one time, what happened? I know it was "nerfed", was it that bad.
  3. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Retribution>cWither and Wither>cRetribution were nerfed due to damage being too good for its power cost. If I remember the number power cost was increased by 43.75% and the damage was decreased 37%
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

Yeah, I don't recall the specifics, but mainly, it comes down to WM. RcW clipped into itself takes 2.8 seconds. In that time, you can do considerably more damage with a WM combo. Since Celestial already was a precision-based powerset, the decision was clear. I hold on to PcDL because it's still the best AoE in the game.
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

It just saddens me how our options have been limited in such a way that almost cripples the powerset.
    • Like x 4
  6. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Yes the power is very boring now, I miss using the AM before WM came out.
    • Like x 1
  7. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

McB got slowed and BcM did too...
    I cry.
  8. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

I still don't get why the Devs did that... It's unreasonable, the power is broken already and they are just making it worse. It's as if they are trying to get us all off the power :(
  9. Derio 15000 Post Club

Yes i noticed that ninja fix that was put in. I think it was for pvp reasons to make it more interruptable. At the same time our powers arent hitting that hard to make that much of a change.
  10. PureDarkness Dedicated Player

11. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Yup yup. Im still staying Celestial just because of the healing part.
  12. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Aye... it was already interruptable in pvp. Thet just want battle healing nerfed.
  13. Remander Steadfast Player

So, was it Malediction that was slowed? I had not noticed that, but have been running DPS lately.
  14. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Yup and the blessed version.
    Im so close to just switching.. battle healing took a few hits.
    now this one is like putting a nail in the coffin.
    If PcDL and DLcP get nerfed.... the powerset will be completely dead
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

If you look back at GU 36, below are the changes to Celestial's timings. Many were sped up, and some were slowed. This had an affect on burst damage primarily. The problem is, for might casts, speeding up is a relative buff to the ability, as the same base damage occurs over a shorter time. Conversely, slowing down is a relative nerf. For example, say an ability does 100 damage, and it takes 1.5 seconds. That gives you 66.7 DPS. If you slow it to 2 seconds, the DPS drops to 50, because the base damage is unchanged. If you speed it up to 1 second, the DPS is now 100. The opposite is true for precision-based combos. Since they do not work by base damage, but rather a DPS scalar, speeding them up is a relative nerf to the combo, and slowing them down is a relative buff. Say a combo has a DPS of 100 and takes 1.5 seconds. That's going to give you 150 damage. Speeding it up to 1 second lowers the damage to 100, while slowing it down to 2 seconds increases the damage to 200. I colored the abilities by relative buff (green) and relative nerf (red).

Sped up: Corrupted Blight, Cleansed Consume Soul, Cleansed Wither, Consume Soul, Corrupted Divine Light, Corrupted Retribution, Divine Light, Retribution

Slowed down: Admonish, Cleansed Death Mark, Cleansed Haunt, Corrupted Admonish, Corrupted Smite, Death Mark, Haunt, Smite

Since Celestial is really more about precision damage, you can see that the big hits were to Cleansed Wither and Corrupted Divine Light. RcW was the bread and butter single target and small group damage combo, and PcDL was the bread and butter large group damage combo. Yes, there were some relative buffs, like Cleansed Haunt, but overall this was a significant blow to the DPS side of Celestial.
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

I'll have to check that out today.
  17. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Try it out in pvp. Watch it work its magic.
  18. Derio 15000 Post Club

If they slow down DLcP, or PcDL then it will definately be that time to change powerset.
    • Like x 3
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

Just to clarify, in case any were curious, I considered the might damage in terms of DPS because the animations have to play out. Precision can be clipped, so I used absolute damage there.
  20. DrDiabeto Well-Known Player

So you're essentially saying that celestial can no longer compete by clipping combos? That's what I used to do and I got amazing numbers just by clipping combos very quickly and I loved it...celestial had constant damage going from range. Now with wm we essentially have to just buff and use wm combos instead if we want to be competitive dps?