We Need Jobs. Some Ideas.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ethromel, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Ethromel Well-Known Player

The economy is broken in the game, and things are too expensive.

I believe many players would love to have in-game jobs to help cope with the expensive needs of modding and repairs. Add various jobs, and call it- Making a Living Legend.

Players could be enabled to:

1) Invest in the properties- that are available to every player that lives in a lair, as long as they have the money. At the end of the month they will receive a payment from all the players that paid their rent.

2) Being a reporter- by receiving a mission list to interview a certain number of various players. This would be similar to that of the wanted missions, except the player will receive a bonus salary for finding an iconic in the world and pressing/holding circle to pretend the interview was conducted.

3) Do photography- another way to make a salary. The player would be given instruction by Jimmy Olsen to go out and capture a particular shot, and then submit it to him to be paid well.

4) Sanitation- The player can go out and volunteer to help clean up sections of the city in light of all the destruction that as occurred as a result of the Brainiac invasion, and be paid for their time.

5) An Exobit Collector- This person is assigned this job by Batman or Lex because a world of an overabundance of superheroes and or villains doesn't bode well to the world in their eyes. All it means to them is that someone is going to be increasing their "army forces", and they can't have that. So you go out and collect as much as you can and return them to proper storage area. Besides, why wouldn't Lex want the ultimate way to make a sure fire super-villain? Exobits are guaranteed to give a normal person powers.

6) Riot control- The player goes to a section of the city where there is a plethora of exobits, and citizens mobbing to get their hands on them. You have to go down there and stave off the threat. Who knows, maybe a super-villian/superhero or will pop up and try to stop you from interfering... Yet you'll be paid well.

Just some ideas, but I have plenty more if you don't like those. Thumb up if you like or would spend a day just doing your job to make extra money because the broker can be tedious. Or give me a better suggestion if you have one.
    • Like x 13
  2. Ghostof91 New Player

I wonder how much hardware space/Ram would all these great ideas take up.
    • Like x 5
  3. TheRealDeathern New Player

I don't have time for a job, I am trying to save the world for God sakes...
    • Like x 22
  4. BumblingB I got better.

:|

These are good ideas and all, but the issue is, I have a job. A full time one. I come to the game to get away from it. I think having a game about a job is something that would hit too close to home. Not that fun of an idea. :(
    • Like x 10
  5. Ethromel Well-Known Player

That may be the case for you, but wouldn't you agree that not every player is so well-to-do, and could use extra money? Besides everything about being a hero does need some sort of funding. So do you think it could at least be helpful to others besides yourself? Perhaps your friends?
    • Like x 2
  6. Ethromel Well-Known Player

That's understandable, and I get your concern. Just consider that the option being there for you to do couldn't hurt, and at some point you may need the in-game money to help you purchase a much needed piece of gear or repair because you are almost broke. Or do you think it could be helpful to the community overall that like to role-play? Besides grinding for triumph marks- Is that not already some kind of work all on its own?
    • Like x 1
  7. BumblingB I got better.

You get a significant amount of money in game from doing the content. It continues to go up as you go through tiers. When T5 first came out, completing each boss gave you a lot of cash. I believe around 2-3k. There is no need for having a job, considering, we are all mercenaries really. We complete instances either to help the heroes or villains and we get paid in marks and cash.
  8. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Oh by the way.... I just want to be clear that this wouldn't be a literal work day. It's just a side thing to do similar to going to the vault everyday. You do your job once a day, and you determine the time you invest. If you only work part-time, then you get paid only partial the money. That's all I'm saying.
    • Like x 1
  9. Ethromel Well-Known Player

This may be partially true, and I remember where we came from years ago, but the truth is that the money gained does not counter the expensive incurred from doing missions. And it is very necessary that higher level players not think about this from their high-tier perspective. Ask a new legendary how easy it is for them to make money.

The truth is that if a player is a new legendary with no previous characters or experience..... They will barely make enough to buy a mod alpha or beta. They could sell all the gear they acquire out in the world and missions and still not have enough to buy the things that matter on the broker. This idea gives them a chance to earn and still stay in character.
  10. BumblingB I got better.

You'd be surprised, but that was supposed to be the intention of the road to riches by design. Before they added RnD salvaging, you would make money off selling gear, grey trash, and anything that didn't have a use. That is why we had the rolling options of Need, Greed, Pass.

When I made an account on the EU server, I actually started from scratch. I could actually see the struggle, but I made a lot of money quickly. Recent changes have made this a lot easier. After GU30 and the new linear progression, by the time you reach level 30 and selling as you go, you have around 15k. It isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Cost of living for an All Access member is no where near as bad as a premium has to go through. Having to keep stacks of items in your inventory just to sell every time you need something is quite painful. But that also proves that money isn't an issue in game.
  11. Spacedude2 New Player

Well there is youtube which allows you to make money from viewers clicking on ads while watching your videos. What I try and do is sell stacks of 16 exos for 1600 dollars; 100 bucks an exobyte. Things like that could help. It actually is our economy that we make up and if people buy low and sell high then that's their perogative. You do know the cost to make a pair of Air Jordans right? The physical world is really not that different from the virtual world.
  12. Minnion Devoted Player

Don't think of these "jobs" as jobs then... (If anything I think we could use some mini-games... A photography mini-game would be neat, and you could save the "photos" as screenshots. We are based off an FPS engine so I doubt it would be too hard to whip up a camera trinket that lets us take screenshots from a first person perspective.)

So reporter/photographer, that would be cool especially if we get points for finding and interviewing iconic characters.(Think of it like pokiemon snap)

I think it would be cool to have a fishing minigame too, perhaps with the chance to unlock fishing trophies for our lairs.. (With certain fish being caught near certain areas, like the Chemo Mutated fish and Joker-fish being caught near Ace Chemicals... Imagine how fun those would be mounted on our walls, or a platform display with a Brine Hulk on it that we caught near the Atlantian invasion in Metro.)

Then of course I wouldn't mind seeing some car chase missions.(Player operated vehicles might not necessarily be necessary for this one)

Sign some autographs for the heroes.

Steel some candy for the villains.

Heck it would be cool to have a top teir boss fight where we end up fighting a whole army of Cadimus cloned Titanic Trentons gone rogue, with the final boss being a gigantic composite trenton made out of a bunch of normal sized titanic trentons holding onto one another... With the adds being the ones that "fall offf" when he's taken critical damage...
    • Like x 1
  13. RogerBlack Committed Player

Good Stuff.

To add some variety, maybe the list of (available) jobs should rotate daily, or weekly. (Like the PVP maps.)
    And can be re-run using ‘replay badges’.

That way… you don’t get the same events over & over everyday, or every week.

Week 1 Jobs:
    Reporter, Riot Control, Bounty Hunter, Builder

Week 2 Jobs:
    Sanitation, Photographer, Builder, Investor

and so on.

If I understand your concept correctly, these 'jobs' are more like 'side missions' that do not affect major story lines, but its more like a way to keep players busy by providing a fun break / alternative between Raids, or PVP matches. And they provide some reward for doing them.

Allow me to add these these suggestions to your job list.

7) Bounty Hunter - Defeat ALL bounties in Gotham, Metropolis & Center City (or in specific DLCs) within a certain time limit to receive additional marks, money, gear, base items, or rare styles. (Adding multiple 'Speed Feats' would improve replay value here.)

This will also help lower-level players who may be having a hard time finding groups for these missions.

POSSIBLE FEATS
    - Earn (1) Bounty Hunter ‘Speed Feat’ = 1-Star Feat
    - Earn (25) Bounty Hunter ‘Speed Feats’ = 2-Star Feat
    - Defeat Bizarro, Professor Zoom, Black Adam & Captain Cold in (20) minutes, or less = 3-Star Feat

8) Builder - This is exactly like the ‘South Gotham Avatar’ missions, BUT IN REVERSE.
    Instead of preventing the enemy from constructing Avatars, players themselves must CONSTRUCT an object, like…
    • Rebuild the Batmobile.
    • or repair an Invisible Jet in Themiscyra.
    • or construct a boat / vessel for Aquaman.
    • or activate (x) number of water canals in Kahndaq.
    • or repair (x) number of crystals in the Fortress of Solitude.
    • or repair (x) number of bridges in Gotham or Metropolis.
    • or decontaminate Ace Chemicals, or Bludhaven.
    • or rebuild the computers in the Batcave / Inner Sanctum.
    • or rebuild the Ferris Wheel in Little Bohemia.
    … while fighting off (increasingly harder) waves of enemies trying to stop you.

Complete the task within a certain time limit to receive additional marks, money, gear, base items, rare styles, or feats.

BUT HERE’s A TWIST:
    Let’s say you start Rebuilding the Batmobile… since it’s the very 1st task on the job list.

Once you get to Batman’s Garage, maybe all the pieces you will need are somewhere in the vicinity, or maybe you must wait until a specific enemy/boss spawns which drops an item required to complete the task.

Or better yet, just maybe that enemy/boss in Batman’s Garage drops an item needed to complete a DIFFERENT task, for a DIFFERENT job.

(i.e. as you build the Batmobile, a certain enemy/boss drops an item required to ‘craft’ an important component needed to repair an invisible jet, in Themiscyra.... while in Themiscyra, you can find an item needed to repair bridges in Gotham... where you can use the left-over bridge materials to repair the Ferris Wheel in Little Bohemia... so you can take a photo after it's rebuilt, as part of your photography job... and so on, and so on, etc.)

That way, the Devs can intertwine feats for running these missions.

POSSIBLE FEATS
    - Rebuild (10) Batmobiles = 1-Star Feat
    - Craft (250) Invisible Jet Diodes = 2-Star Feat
    - Repair (2500) Fortress of Solitude Crystals = 3-Star Feat
    - Rebuild (x) Ferris Wheels in Little Bohemia = 3-Star Feat
    - Snap (x) photos of rebuilt Ferris Wheels = 2 -Star Feat

etc., etc.
    • Like x 2
  14. HeirToThaThrone Committed Player

I wouldnt even look twice at a feature like this.
    • Like x 4
  15. Ethromel Well-Known Player

To each his own. Lucky for us there's not just you in the game. Perhaps you should start thinking about the rest of the community and the game's future. Maybe even an idea of your own, to show us how you would come up with a better one than the rest of us - if you can.
  16. HeirToThaThrone Committed Player

Maybe you shouldnt get so caught up in your feelings and realize Im not the only one who wouldnt care for this even if Im the only one to post it. You say "to each his own" then post all that nonsense when because I dont agree with you.

Hyp-o-crite.
  17. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

If it was an "off camera" thing as part of a secret identity system, id be okay with it, but I have absolutely no desire to be a photographer in a video game about superheros. If it would be something I would actually have to play, id laugh it off and never touch it. I dont even wanna work in real life, why would I want to in a video game?
    • Like x 2
  18. Ethromel Well-Known Player

You are correct. My idea is meant to be nothing more than side-missions of fun and benefit. Your added ideas are great too, and thank you for contributing to the OP in a constructive way, instead of just shooting it down because it may not benefit you personally.
  19. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Feelings had nothing to do with my reply to you. I wrote what I did because you telling us you wouldn't look twice at the feature did nothing for anyone, except let us know that you're either narrow-minded or short-sided. Why you may ask? Because you offered no actual reason why you "wouldn't look at it twice." Try typing something useful in the future Hyp-o-crite.
  20. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Those are some cool ideas. I like the way you expanded up on the OP and made some nice suggestions for further immersion. Thanks.