What Is A Fire Tank?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TrueOlympus, Feb 21, 2014.

1. TrueOlympus New Player

Here me out. I'm speaking on a pure conceptual basis. I've explain below

Fire Tanks have 3 methods of mitigate damage
    • Self-Heals
    • Buffed Health
    • 80% Increased healing from outside sources.
    But I would like to point out a few key things, that have come to confuse me.
    1. Self-Heals: Fire Tanks self-heals have been nerfed(by accident) in the revamp. Common Knowledge. but even before than A self-Healing fire tank was not a viable route to go in content unless you were overgeared. This has been the case for a very long time. Thus Fire Tanks cannot be considered a Self-Healing tank. Lets not forget that Rage tanking is now firmly established as The premier self healer.
    2. Buffed Health: Being able to buff our health is not unique to fire tanks, nor is it the best at it. But it does have more consistency than a rage tanks health buff. No flux. We can buff our health to a close-ish to 2.5x our base health. By far our best advantage imo.
    3. The 80% is what confuses me the most. Fire tanks can buff there health nearly 2.5x more than their base health but their healing buff is only stays at 80%. Making Fire the least efficient class to heal. So our buffed health becomes one of our greatest weaknesses.
    It makes me wonder, were self-heals suppose to make up for the healing efficiency or lack of? And if so why are Fire tanks self-heals so weak.

What I am musing over is What does that leave fire tanks to be identified as? We are not the Self-healing Tank. We are not the Heath tank. We are not even the most heal-able tank. How does the community see us?
    • Like x 4
  2. Minx New Player

I love healing you guys. :) You make my job more challenging.
    • Like x 1
  3. Ch3wtobacco New Player

ice tank AVOIDS damage by having numerous shields to bolster their defense

fire tank must heal damage ALREADY taken

rage tanks have a damage "credit card" that can come due in a calamitous way..you are betting the raids success on HIS skill

its better to not take damage at all with good healers then to take greater damage healing yourself with good healers and overtax your trollers...so the rest of the team cant do their jobs as well

and ICE has a TRUE pull...

all that said ive been dps in fire since before th game started and I wont EVER tank fire
  4. SKAVANGER408 New Player

I still can't figure out how "fire" can be a tank power.
  5. TrueOlympus New Player

i can. but its COULD have made sense as a troll power.

giving people "fuel" and such
  6. hoaxone Committed Player

And again..

Fire tanking has always been beast in the right hands.
    • Like x 7
  7. SKAVANGER408 New Player

I can see that.
  8. Ch3wtobacco New Player

even when the DEVs revamped fire they couldn't EVEN give us a TRUE PULL.. says a LOT to me..ice is the ONLY way they WANT it to go... not saying that theyre aren't great fire tanks..i run with them...its just not an even playingfield IMO
  9. pyroshade13 Committed Player

fire needs to be able to self heal and we have seen it be done with rage. a fire tank is only as good as the healer. every other tank can stand alone
  10. St IronMagic Well-Known Player

Everyone can't fire tank and that's why fire tanking is god-like in the right hands i.e that's why I love my fire tank. He'll never change.
    • Like x 2
  11. TheRealDeathern New Player

Fire certainly has its flaw and problems. The main is that although fire is provided with heal powers, they are not sufficent to cover the damage taken from upper tier content. I would love to see an adjustment to those heals, or perhaps a bonus to our resto so that we could self heal better.

Another flaw, or issue IMO, is that fire tanks use a ton of skill points compaired to other tanks. With DOM, RESTO, CRIT HEALS, HEALTH, DAMAGE/TOUGHNESS, etc. there are far more than just a few items to try and cover as all of them can serve some function or increased ability for the tank, its easy to see why those with more skill points can effectively fire tank, and those that lack in this area, are not as strong.

As far as pulls go, I can go either way. Backdraft is great. A single, long range pull would be nice, but at the same time, it can certainly be worked around and lets face it, in 90% of the content in game, those pulls arent really needed anyway.
    • Like x 2
  12. Franchise New Player

I doubt that. I always feel like fire should be a healer power. Any ally standing in the ring of fire or is burning gets healed over time or something like that.
  13. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Thing is it's not really more challenging, its' just more active. Any little heal and boom they are getting a HUGE jump in health.

As far as what I view Fire as, it's the HP tank... in every MMO the HP tank is a pita and sub par. They get it done, but I've yet to play any MMO where HP > Mitigation /shrug it is just how it is, it's alwasy better to ignore damage than take it all.

That said, I've seen good fire tanks, and they are really good, so much so that I wouldn't say I have a preferance. If I did it'd probably be Ice simply because of reflection allowing them to do things like activate cogs while tanking...that's the only thing that one tank can do that all the others can't /shrug.
    • Like x 1
  14. TrueOlympus New Player

Fire doesn't heal stuff. The best it can do is burn a wound close, and thats technically heat not fire
    • Like x 1
  15. TrueOlympus New Player

i'm kinda disappointed that we are forced to be so reliant on a good healer because we don't have the healing capabilities to at least help ourselves.
  16. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Yes you're the most reliant on a healer, but... didn't a fire tank do a 3 man no healer nexus... what do you want to be able to do that's tougher than that?
    • Like x 4
  17. Minx New Player

True story.
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

So, would you propose that Fire get a 250% healing boost? :eek:
  19. Fourth New Player

I like this guy.
  20. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

I loved tanking as fire because its fire.
    One of the best moves as well in Backdraft[/]
    I still flick my lighter for no reason cuz I loves fire!

Healing fire is great for me as well because u can get some huge crits on them. And also if he's good, you will be busy the whole time keeping those green numbers rolling
    • Like x 1