What this game REALLY needs? Laser targetting!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by XanderF, Dec 4, 2012.

1. XanderF

To keep with the team-focused aspect of it, it would probably work best if this "laser designator" was a 'utility' item available to all classes (like the med kits are), so you'd have to choose to sacrifice your other utilities (including medkit) to even use one...and, obviously, it doesn't actually do anything for you, specifically, on its own.

What it would do is - you shoot the beam at a target (a nice, bright beam that everyone can see), and then aircraft or infantry (?or some new rocket-launching vehicles?) could switch their rockets/missiles fire mode to 'laser-designated target' and if in line of site of your target, the weapons automatically seek THAT...and hit your lased target. (XP would be split 50/50, then, if it kills it)

For an added level for the laser designator, I'd suggest that two people, if lasing the same target (and both have the necessary cert upgrade for it), can provide an aimpoint that is even 'over the horizon' (IE., firing platform doesn't need line of site). XP for the hit would be split 33/33/33, then, between the two players designating the target and the player making the shot.

That'd add an interesting additional team-based mechanic to the game...and maybe (maybe) reduce some of the rocket-spamming...fewer shots needed if they are better aimed, after all...
  2. lexstardust

This would be so helpful for well organized squad and a liberator so that a small squad could actually call in close air support. I'd love it it if we could have a laser designator.
  3. XanderF

It would also mean that even Outfits that want to go 'dedicated air assault' would have a reason for at least some infantry routinely on the ground to help pick out targets.
  4. AsmodeusZ28

I love this idea!
  5. Freyar

I'd love it simply to help with the selective rendering issues clients have.
  6. lexstardust

Bump for great idea
  7. XanderF

Well, it'd also (if implementing the idea of the upgrade that allows 'over the horizon' shots) also spread out the battles a bit. After all, what pilot is going to want to fly over a base potentially bristling with turrets if they didn't have to? With this addition, as often as not, the fire support aircraft would orbit a position some distance from the core battlefield and wait for targets to be designated.

This means that the big air-to-air duels would be happening still sort-of-near the major engagement zones...but not directly overhead like they are, now.

Fewer players in the same immediate area = less lag, less reduction of render distance due to player density, better performance for everyone.

Oh, and it also adds a cool mechanic to the game, boosts team play, and brings more of the maps into play.
  8. yankeefeet

I actually agree. Giving the foot soldiers a team-based counter to deal with all the air domination
  9. XanderF

Didn't really think of it in context of that, more for focusing air-to-ground differently, but...that could work, too. Maybe?
  10. gunshooter

yeah the game sure needs more auto aim