WDS Officially a Joke

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CptFirelord, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Outake

my fav part was 4 weeks of TR with north WG is < VS with 1 week of north WG after new scoring system. you had two weeks so you got x2 the points. elementary my dear watson
  2. Phyr

Using the WDS for weapon data collection makes no sense, they've got 11 months of data for that. The only difference between WDS data and everything before that is now bases have arbitrary values attached to them.
  3. Outake

FORReAL like wtf does WDS give them data for that they dont already have.... "hmmm lets see.... the data shows that north gate is a better gate... o and look here... I see.. I see... the team with the higher pop does better aswell.... this is revolutionary!! Thx WDS :D" lol
    • Up x 1
  4. Meeka

The VS only have a few outfits (at least on Mattherson) that is a challenge when it comes to equal players.

Outside of that, the VS generally suck, and rely on numbers over skill-- but when you have numbers, you don't really get a chance to form skill, so it's not their fault. The NC on the other hand, almost always play as underdogs... and tend to have some of the best players (they're also the same players who are generally good on the VS side). The TR, however, are always being hardcore banged by both the VS and NC at the same time, so on average, probably have the most skilled players simply because they face the most opposition in a wider variety of situations.
  5. TheFencer0

Except that unlike that past 11 months, we've gone quite some time without any changes to game mechanics (other than bug fixes). It's a very solid and safe control group. If you want to do a sweeping balance patch, leaving the game alone for a while and seeing what happens is a good way to do it, and giving them a competition and reward only encourages them to play better/dirtier, so you can find more and more imbalances/exploits.
  6. Phyr

Given how this event went, your argument is flawed. Changes to the scoring, and changes to the warpgate rotations make this a poor "control group".
  7. Deronok

^ someone who actually understands what's going on. Plus I get the feeling that once they actual WDS is done, it'll be after optimization, and hopefully on a 3x exp weekend.
  8. Kalendric

This leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I certainly didn't get the impression the Vanu were dominating heavily for the past week or so, and certainly not winning enough to mitigate a four week head start by the TR. Honestly the whole thing was borked from the beginning but to basically lose because of a scoring change half way through the event has just completely put me off this ridiculous e-sports like crap completely.

Kindly get back to making an enjoyable meta-game experience and take this competition rubbish out back and shoot it in the head as it deserves.
  9. Qaz

mhm, is this accurate? https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/warpgate-rotation-a-brief-history.155316/

Also, something is really off with the WDS data and i think i remember why i thought tr held the northern gate for four weeks: for some reason, the NC's score did not improve much when it was in the northern gate. instead, tr pretty much continued on the same trajectory as before, with slightly reduced point income. this is kinda problematic in terms of data consistency ...
  10. TheFencer0

Because they got the data they needed. One full month of weapon testing, 4th faction movement, and player morale, with nothing new added to change gameplay mechanics. After that, they needed to repair the damage to a demoralized NC/VS, hence implementing the new rules of a "meta" game (no changes to the gameplay mechanics, just an arbitrary scoring system).

Just because you don't understand it, does not mean the logic is flawed. You can't test game balance by going out and saying "hey, we're going to test weapon balance" because people will shy away from things they don't want nerfed. Give them a competition with real rewards, and they'll fight very hard and give you really good data on what they are using/abusing.
  11. MasterOhh

LOL look at all those pissed TR cry babies who didn't get their precious decal. What makes you believe TR should have won the WDS preseason? Is it because you all fought so valiant and with great tactical skill in empty bases on esamir and amerish? You cry about a borked scoring system that was working against you in the last 2 weeks while you were profiting from an equaly borked scoring system in the first 4 weeks.
    Yes, the new scoring system favors the faction that holds the northern warpgate on indar. And it happened to be the VS who had it when they introduced the changes. I realy hope SOE realised this and they are going to make further changes for the real WDS tournament.
    Personaly I didn't give a s**t about who won this preseason. BUT, after seeing all these mewling TR posts about how they feel so cheated about how SOE robbed them of their rightfully earned victory and gave it to the evil VS, I must honestly say I am glad it wasn't TR who won!
  12. whitupiggu

Care to explain how the data they got from WDS would be at all different from the data they could have got in the months before? The only reason they are working on balance now is because of the **** the WDS scores stirred up.
  13. Phyr

It has nothing to with a lack of understanding, you're just grasping at straws. The PRE season's only goal was to balance the WDS scoring for the actual season, so they could avoid mucking it up as badly as this PRE season proved would happen. They aren't going to get any weapon balance from this event that they didn't already have.
  14. Tbone

Absolutely agree.They join TR for easy cause they are weak.Its a reason.But that should not automatically punish all the faithful TR ,who fought and played, the same way.You know its funny that after we won 5 matches ,okay i heard that VS won 1 but there was a problem or bug,so after 4-5 matches SOE puts in a new point system??Really??You know **** happens.There were a lot of times when we saw the losers switch to VS or NC ,for the win and for lousy maximum 40 certs,but nobody gave a ****.And yeah you are right about my reasons.I am a born TR player fast guns, lots of ammo ,order, loyalty that's for me.

And no offense but i remember early 2013 when the VS were the overpop and?SOE didn't turn your dmg to 1 or something.Okay you won, you fought but we did too and this last minute change the rules ,not after 3 weeks cause clearly you saw the problem after 3 weeks not after 4-5 weeks,is just a joke nothing more.
  15. CptFirelord

I'm honestly not sure what the hell happened when the NC had the northern WG.. their demographics show no increase like is normal from whoever owns up top, and that leads me to believe they either didn't try, or played it sloppily and allowed themselves to get sucked into the common 5-hour-long fights in places like Indar Ex, Quartz Ridge, J908, the Tech Plant, etc.
  16. Ash87

They have 11 months of data, in which the weapon balance and everything else varies from month to month. There have also been numerous changes to base layouts, vehicle balance, etc. etc. etc.

Unless you are willing to say that the game you play right now, has the exact same balance as it did in November of last year.

And all of that aside, it was also to see if an alternate scoring system like the WDS score could be used to alleviate some of the load that falls entirely on XP.

Also, if you were not part of SOE, it was fun to gather data on how people started saying: "I don't know how ANYONE will like this" to being people saying: "I hate the TR for being horrible immature animals barely able to contain their own feces when aroused, because they have overpopulation and that hatred is thus justified, and they are also favored by SOE" to "The WDS was just Given to the VS, because SOE loves the VS, otherwise why would they have adjusted the score." Thereby showing that people do take other meaningless point systems seriously, despite saying they wont.
  17. Revel

The joke is the final not being on a server by server basis.

Seriously, the devs in this game make me laugh. This game will never have perfectly balanced gameplay needed for esports. The only way you could fairly do it is if it was run with all sides having the exact same weapons.
  18. Zotamedu

I'm annoyed that SOE was stupid enough to give away stuff first based on population alone and then based on who held the northern Indar warpgate. Then they have the guts to try to tell people that it was in any way connected to how people played? It's all crap and if SOE had any sense they would give all factions five boosts and no one gets the WDS winner decal. I did not deserve the five XP boosts I got and VS did not deserve the arbitrary winners decal.

So I'm not crying about being robbed of some victory and in fact, I have seen very few people cry about that since most of us are smart enough to see that the entire event was run extremely poorly. My point is that no one in their right mind could possibly declare a single faction as winner in this mess. No one won.
  19. Phyr

It's cool that some of you guys believe SOE has the forethought to use the WDS as an opportunity for some uber data collection that they couldn't possibly have gotten any other way, or had for months beforehand.

Goes to show that not everyone is on the doom and gloom train.
  20. Xae

Can someone explain why people are so upset over this?

Are people's self-esteem so caught up in an internet Laser Pew Pew game that they can't tolerate losing?