[Video] High level medic gameplay in organized outfit

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Mustarde

I saw some threads talking about new players as medics and wanted to share this for some of you to check out. Medics are super valuable to a squad or platoon trying to hold a point, especially when outpopulated. It takes teamwork, good shooting skills, and the ability to give QUALITY revives, to keep your squad alive.

Hopefully this provides a few tips for newer players looking to up their medic game in the context of teamwork.

My loadout is: Terminus, commissioner, flak armor, nano regen, c4, EMP shield.

We captured the base with 30% population in the hex, and barely held out as the point was overrun at the last second.
    • Up x 1
  2. Inex

That's a 1x scope on the Terminus, yes? I was impressed by the apparently zero horizontal recoil at ~3:00, but after messing around in the VR I guess it just looks like low recoil (or you got really lucky?). I'm usually running 2x for most weapons so that kind of stability looks like something I'd blow some DBC on. :p
  3. ElricVIII

Not to disparage your skill, but aside from that level 91 max, I didn't see anyone over level 40; most of them seemed to be in the teens and 20s. I mean, you walked into a room of 4 people alone and casually kill 3 of them and they still didn't notice you. I think you may have been playing against noobs.

I'd like to see some outfit vs outfit medic play. I always want to like the class, but the healing tool always seems so ponderous to me. For me, rez should be the (F) active skill to make the revive/fight transition smoother. It could be that I'm picking bad times to start rezing, but I'm sure the medic tool dynamic contributes as well.
  4. Inex

Such is the "OMG, look what I did!" style of gameplay video. There's still something impressive about taking newbs on outnumbered almost 3-1 though (even if they did come within seconds of losing).
    • Up x 1
  5. OldMaster80

Some of those guys clearly lacked combat awareness but imho the biggest error they made is they never pushed for the capture points all together. They tried once, and it was working. They spawned a lot of sundies without gunners, and rushed for A point 1 or 2 at time giving the VS a clear advantage. It was clearly an un-organized group.
  6. Jubikus

Well it was huge outpop but the NC were getting decimated from the balcony and it cost them alot of time it also took a while for the massive overpop to respond it wasnt 70/30 the whole time at 40 second till cap when he was dead it had just gotten to the 65/35 point which is still massively one sided. Those factors considered it was still a well orginized point hold with good communication and objective focused players as even against unorganized bad players dealing with overpop is still no easy task as having 2 guns pointed at you not only puts you at the disadvantage of them having twice the firepower but they have twice as much health that you have to go through.
    • Up x 1
  7. Mustarde

I use 1x for most of my weapons. The terminus is very controllable when you combine fast bursting (only a few times in this video do I really lay on the trigger) and recoil compensation. I can keep on target from pretty long distances with it, which is one of the many reasons I enjoy the weapon so much. I will say however, one of the defining characteristics of the VS AR lineup is that almost all of them are controllable, except the HV-45.

In most fights, you go up against a mix of organized and disorganized players. I have a few scattered recordings where we go outfit v outfit with varying populations, they weren't quite as exciting as a last second point hold against 70% pop which is what made this one noteworthy in my eyes. I wouldn't call these players "noobs", but they were likely not working together. And certainly, they aren't that collection of high skill that you'll find in top tier outfits.

That's kind of what made this significant - a beginning to end base cap where we get massively outpopped and hold on for dear life. The medic revives and beacon preservation are what kept it going to survive on the point before it was overrun with blue men. This is the type of gameplay that I value in PS2 - objective oriented combat, not just farming for KDR. So I get more excited about sharing gameplay where the players actually care about taking bases or defending them, regardless of population balance, force multipliers, etc. That's what planetside is to me - a battle for territory on an epic scale.
  8. Inex

I love that type of gameplay as well. It's certainly a welcome evolution from the old 'rafter ghost' Mustarde videos. :D

I didn't want to get into a 6 paragraph explanation of why this video was necessarily a "organized, high skill" vs "das zergen" play. Naturally, if you had been facing a Goku equivalent which decided to wait for a critical mass MAX crash you would have been simply scoured from the map in seconds. And it's why some of their good play (i.e. starting to put defensive Sundies everywhere) didn't work as well as they thought it would. By the time the defenders realized there weren't just fighting a group of mostly randos, it was too late.

Ahh, that would explain it. I run a pretty wide FOV so everything just seems so small with 1x. :p