Utility ammo pack

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HappyT, Feb 27, 2014.

1. HappyT

So this was bugging me for quite a long time as I see no purpose for this even existing on my engineer since you can simply use your Ace tool to deploy an ammo pack.
    Unless engineer was designed from start to be able to drop 2 ammo boxes at the same time which at the moment is not the case.
    I remember the old patchnotes mentioning that Ammo pack from your Ace tool will now always match your certification upgrade contrary of it always being rank 3 ammo pack regardless of upgrades.

So I just want to ask the question, why not allow engineers to drop 2 ammo boxes at the same time one from your utility slot and one from Ace tool?
    • Up x 1
  2. bPostal

Because my utility slot is full of c4?
    • Up x 2
  3. Akeita

Because most engineer don't even bother to put down ammo pack..
  4. Regpuppy

huh... could've swore it use to. Guess I've been using the utility slot for other things for so long I don't remember.
  5. DeadlyPeanutt

engie main... i've got tank mines in one slot, put down ammo whenever i can... system works
  6. K2k4

The utility ammo pack exists more for reminding newbies to put an ammo pack down.

Honestly though I wish that it allowed you to place 2 packs. It used to, but that was before the turret ammo pack was keyed off of your ammo pack cert level.
  7. HappyT

Yes indeed it does... but for dedicated engineers such option would be quite useful to ourselves and out teammates.
  8. Elrobochanco

You used to be able to, then they "corrected" it. Just drilling in that they don't want you to make xp from resupplying.
  9. HappyT

and why is that? maybe because the exp income is far too small? probably yes...
    Double ammo packs may encourage people to play engi more other than means of having an AV turret or tank mines/more c4.
  10. Puupertti Ruma

Probably because they have their utility slot full of mines and the game doesn't tell them anywhere that they can put a ammo box with their turret. This is the biggest usability glitch in the whole game I think.
  11. HappyT

So far every guide to engineer mentions that. But yes I agree, game doesn't mention that specific utility nowhere.
  12. ElTovar

The ammo pack shouldn't be in a slot. It should be the engineer's ability. Press F or key of choice to toss or throw (NOT deploy) the ammo pack. In crowds, uneven terrain or too close to anything and the ammo pack will not deploy. As an engineer I feel bad every time I have to kill an enemy engineer desperately trying to find a spot that allows deploying the ammo pack.
  13. Planetdoge

Wait, are you sure that the ACE tool ammo pack matches your ammo pack cert level? If so, then I might actually cert into it more.
  14. Bullborn

If they actually wanted the ACE tool ammo pack to exist, why don't they just put it on a hotkey and make it part of the default loadout.

Now the ammo pack in the utility slot just makes newbies think that they have to have it in their utility slot just to place ammo (which also explains why so many of them don't put down ammo, since they don't think they're able to).

Why they insist on hiding it behind the ACE tool is beyond me. Just put it on a hotkey already...
  15. Elrobochanco

Yep it uses the same level as your certed one. They "fixed" this in the same patch where they made it so you can't use the utility and ace tool to have two ammo boxes active at once.

That said certing your ammo box is an act of charity at best. It covers a larger area, and lasts for longer, but it will still stop giving you XP in the same amount of ticks. Which means with the expanded coverage...you'll actually stop getting XP from it faster than before. So you can help more, but you aren't getting anything more from it.

But it's been like this for months. It couldn't possibly take much work to make F just spawn ammo at your feet, and to change the XP cap (since many things like motion spots have no cap). But the more important work to address was buffing the liberator from the biggest gun in the game to the biggest gun in the game with the most armor as well.
  16. Planetdoge

Interesting... Darn, I guess I'll just spend my certs elsewhere until they improve the tick mechanic.