Underbarrel Grenades nerf to match!!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GrafVonGreif, Feb 3, 2013.

1. GrafVonGreif

Hey, the thing now is scrap! the curve is much too high-pitched!!!
  2. Frosty The Pyro

learn your balistic trajectories then.
    • Up x 4
  3. Autarkis

Prior to the patch I used the UB shotgun because the GLs were so bugged. Path comes, I equip UBGL. Use it in 2-3 fights, notice that the arming distance and damage are limiting. Re-equip UB shotgun.

Everything changed and everything stayed the same!
    • Up x 1
  4. Wesrin

Leave it to a Vanu to be using an UBGL for close range fights. the UBGL is a support weapon, and is designed to be used at range. Ten meters is hardly a big deal for arm time. Oh, and even the unarmed grenade can kill people if you hit them directly.
    • Up x 2
  5. Rivenshield

The UBGL is my primary weapon anymore. Fling down a box of ammo, kneel on it like a mother hen, and it's like I've got my old Thumper back (pic related).... a slow-firing, can't-reload-unless-I-effectively-lock-down version of my beloved Thumper.

And I wouldn't mind a nerf at all. *EVERYTHING* explosive in this game should be nerfed. It should attrit you, not slaughter you and your entire squad. The thumper may have been rapid fire, and you may have been able to bounce grenades around corners, but it was hardly a fight-ender. Who else is sick of seeing exciting small-unit actions indoors ruined by one freaking grenade?

/raises hand

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  6. Playful Pony

Indeed, it is supposed to be used at range. Why on earth would they reduce the range so much then!

I was so happy when I started using it in this game and noticed that it's firing trajectory was actually somewhat sensible. It also wasn't super deadly, so we wouldn't have to deal with any "noob tubers" complaints. Indeed we haven't, I cannot recall a single thread declaring the GL to be too effective. Sure there must have been some that I have missed, people have complained about everything else so... Still, I didn't find the changes detailed in the patch to be of much consequence, it would still be a reasonably effecitve weapon. But now it seems they have completely killed it's range.

I thought the 10m arming range would be a great idea, personally I would have put it at 14. Now I don't think so at all anymore, because they clearly want to go the CoD/BF route and make the GL a close-combat weapon... WHY?!

Not happy about this.
    • Up x 1
  7. Autarkis

I use it as light assault so perhaps my point of view is different, but I want good operational endurance and flexibility. That means a carbine for medium range, shotgun for close, a bandolier of three grenades and two C4.

The UBGL just doesn't present reliable value with its current range and damage limitations. The occasions for its use are very limited.
  8. Linedan

It's a minor thing, but I'm wondering why they changed the ballistics on the noobtube and smoketube. They're shooting less than half the distance they could before. I mainly run with the smoke launcher for support, and found my first few attempts with it falling ridiculously short before figuring out that it now has the ballistics of a poorly-built potato gun.
    • Up x 1
  9. FlayvorOfEvil

Hey hey, don't insult my potato gun.I could hit tree 150 meters away in 3 shots while angling it only about 30 degrees!
  10. Rhapsody

I agree with the arch being a bit much..... I mean.. yes its a 'underbarrel'... but i can get a potato-gun to fire further than this thing does now.

As for the numbers change (damage, aoe, and such) Im fine with those.. makes it work more naturally (underbarrle launched grenades have more of a 'true' death-radius now than they use to (though frag grenades need a similar fix).

They just need to find a middle-ground from what the Firing arc is now, to what it was post-patch.
    • Up x 1
  11. Linedan

Then your potato gun has better muzzle velocity and ballistics than our underbarrel grenade launchers right now.

I don't know what they did, it's like the charge or whatever that was propelling the grenades has been replaced by a rusty spring. I'm totally fine with the grenade changes themselves, I just want the old launcher ballistics, or something close to them, back. I used to use the smoke launcher to try and screen myself if I had to dash across open ground in front of a tower. Can't do that anymore unless I'm very close.
    • Up x 1
  12. Kudag

What's worse is that it doesn't actually arm until at least 11.5+m, not 10m according to the HUD in game. Stand in warpgate and aim at a terminal, HUD will display distance. Move to 10m, fire -> bounce. move to 11m, fire ->bounce. Move to approx 11.5m fire ->explode.

Grenade also never arms if it wasn't armed at the time of first collision (i.e. will not explode after the bounce).
  13. Wesrin

I have yet to see it used all that much by the enemy, and when it is, it's being used as intended. Running point as a LA or Engineer with the TRAC 5 S and UBGL is a recipe for disaster. Why? When you fire the grenade, it automatically begins to reload. If you want to cancel this out, you need to swap weapons. This takes longer then normal, because one of the downsides of equipping the UBGL (or any under barrel launcher) is a prolonged equip time.

There have been a number of instances where I tried to use it at close range, only to get gunned down during transition from the UBGL to my carbine. Unless EVERYONE through a doorway or in a hall is standing right on top of each other, you're going to kill one, maybe two enemies before you get mowed down.

Besides, before the patch the UBGL's grenade armed IMMEDIATELY after leaving the launcher. Why is this 10m arm time such a big deal?
  14. Wesrin

I beg to differ. I've been LA a number of times with UBGL -- if you're familiar with it's arc, it makes a superb aerial attack weapon because of the lack of CoF for it's launch. Additionally, while it doesn't serve the LA's role as well as ti does the engineer, its a great point defense weapon, or a great way to clear doorways/windows.

Though, again, it favors an engineer/medic more than a LA. An Engineer with an ammo pack can rain some serious destruction of their aim is decent.
  15. Bindlestiff

How do you get the HUD to display values that low? My range display stops when it gets under 20m.

Edit: Nevermind, I suck. It works now.
  16. Springheel Jack

"We want the underbarrel grenade launcher to be used in longer ranges!"

*nerfs range it can shoot by about half*

Well played, SoE.
  17. Wardancer

Like i posted in the other thread regarding this issue. Yes there seems to have been a stealth nerf to the range but it really is not all that bad. The grenade launcher is alot more reliable now and it actually kills stuff when you hit. The new arc makes it much easier for things like lobbing into a window or ontop of a tower/landing platform.

The old arc made the thing impossible to use unless you had the high ground and could shoot down onto infantry. Sure the new one could use a few more meters of extra range but the arc is really good. Learn to aim with it and you will find many more uses for it.
  18. GamerOS

The UBGL is awesome at medium range and can still instantly kill in CQB (in the end it's still a solid lump of matter in your face even if it doesn't explode)
    It's great for hitting people behind cover or in buildings, high damage against MAX suits makes it very viable against them as well.
    Not to mention their very good for setting of explosives.

The UBShotgun is much more effective at close range, but the UBGL has much more utility when it comes down to it.

I don't mind the arc as much tough, slightly easier to hit people behind certain cover now.
  19. }{ellKnight

I love it TBH. Was able to stop the advance of entire squads by myself (killing a lof of them and making the few survivors pull back) by constantly bombarding their approach path. They fixed the resupply bug. I actually like the arc because I can lob them better over certain cover and don't a have to expose myself that much.

What I do find silly though is the hit box on the nades. I fire them a good 20-30 cm away from a teammates head and I still hit them (was testing it at the warpgate). Either that or people have really big heads.
  20. Wardancer

I think the grenades just fires from a really weird place, like your crotch instead of the gun meaning you hit things you really shouldn't.