This game is entirely balanced around the bad hit detection

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cookiepiledriver, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Vashyo

I've had no problems with hit-detection, my bullets go pretty much where I aim and seem to register just fine for me.

Game has lot of issues, but this isn't one, imo
  2. Mietz

Most BF2 servers were 64 players, mods don't count, nevermind, i spent most of the time in Reality Mod anyways not vanilla.

Anyways, every FPS is an aimed RPG, bullets have damage, you have HP and you deliver DPS, the difference is only the speed of the kill.
    FPS games had longer TTK before, they didn't stop being FPS games, but im not here to go into a discussion about what FPS stands for or what a genre is.

I don't know what "most people" want, since I'm not most people. Higher TTK would be one way to fix the hit detection though, regardless.
  3. Kyorisu

Throttle your bandwidth and try some infantry combat. It's pretty crazy how difficult it is to die.

Simple solution.
    Over 300ms for more than some time limit here = instant kick.
    Major packet loss for some duration = instant kick.
    • Up x 1
  4. Xale

(Pseudo) False. If your numbers are the time for a one-way transfers they're applicable in your manner. But you cannot take the 'ping' from two players and add it together.

Ping is the measure of Round-Trip-Time, which is the time it takes for your machine to send a packet, the server to receive the packet,process and transmit a response, to you receiving that response.

Properly constructed RTT measurements in games should not use ICMP packets to measure ping, but the time to response from an actual game event.
  5. powerz

death after cover or dying at the same time is a curse of client side hit detection.

To be honest I don't think it's as bad in this game as BF3 or BF bad company 2......I can count on two hands the number of times it's happened to me.
  6. Jimmy DeSouza

Most BF2 servers for the breif time I played it were 128. I did get into the party late though (never really liked the BF games).

Anyway, longer TTK really wouldnt fix the problem when you think about it. The same problem that allows the laggy guy to get 7 shots on you instantly on your screen will still give him a 7 shot advantage in the fight, which should make it unwinnable for you.

If 7 shots worth of damage has no real effect on the outcome, then the TTKs you are proposing are monumental and would be boring as ****.

As an aside, I have never heard of a good FPS with high TTK. Are there any? The only real high TTK shooters I know of are 3rd person shooters, and in general they arent regarded as the best things in the world for truley competative gameplay.
  7. Xale

Considering the subpar level of aim most FPS players have these days, hardly a challenge.
  8. Cookiepiledriver

You're right. Any competent developer would be able to fully utilize the hardware, just like with client optimization.

There are so few hackers in this game, which again points to your theory that it has a strong server component. I'm sure if they had had a problem with hackers, that they would have acknowledged it by now.

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahaahaha
  9. Xale

Several, depending on the weaponry involved. Quake, UT, and Tribes fights can last quite a while depending on the weapons used. (But can also end extremely quickly with the right weapon and situation)
  10. Mietz

ok cool, what does it change about my argument even if its technically a false usage of the word "ping".
  11. powerz

lol, you forgot to insert /sarcasum
  12. JonboyX

Hit detection is pretty good for a 300+ a side game. If you put that entire load on the server it would just be unplayably laggy.
    CSHD is what they used in PS1 and I believe they worked on the netcode massively before releasing PS2. Considering how much smoother and 'instantaneous' the game actually feels, I'd say they've worked a minor miracle.

Still; if you think it's bad, by all means go back to SSHD 32-man-a-side games. The only problem as I see it is an overly generous system that allows those with poor upload speeds to exploit the game. Still; put a server in Rusky and a lot of the players who are forced on to a distant European server won't have to make do, and we can say goodbye to the unintentional warpers.
  13. Xale

It says right in the first paragraph - second sentence.
  14. Mietz

A 7 shot advantage are only a threat in a low TTK game.
    In high TTK games if the player must sustain that advantage (i.e. be better than me at aiming), else I'm going to smoke him because I can sustain and out-perform his advantage by shooting back consistently (better).

People already mentioned classics like Q3A, Tribes.

But if you want something closer to PS2 in feel, aesthetics and mechanics, Section 8 Prejudice is your friend (class based, sci-fi, combined arms FPS with character progression)

15. Iksniljiksul

Has anyone actually analyzed the data stream to determine just how much is done client side?

It's been a standing rule in online games that no calculations are ever done client side. The client is just there to show moving pictures and send input information, nothing more.

I think perhaps you people are confusing this with client prediction which is not even close to the same thing. Client prediction exists in every single online game to counter act dropped packets and connection speeds. Most people are unaware that every client in every game sees everything differently to a degree based upon the quality of the client prediction routines. In PS2 the fabrication difference seems to be huge when the client is unable to cope. Since the majority of people have machines that can not handle the game, client side hit detection lies are rampant.

That is why a few people have no issues with the game, just not the metal adroitness to figure out what is really going on with the game for the rest of us.
    • Up x 2
  16. Jimmy DeSouza

Quake 3 arena is the only one of them I have any experience with, and the TTKs in it were the same as they are in PS2. So I dont see your point.

Anyway, against a player who can aim reasonably well (remember, client side, so his crazy lag does not impede his ability to hit) those 7 shots will still be a win, unless you go into insane TTKs.
  17. psioniq

Please do not tell me/others what points I am making.

I did not mention anything about "strong server components" - I wrote: "As for performance, server side, shooting 1000-2000 rays every 1/60th second is not an issue for current server-hardware."

Your "sarcastic" remark helps no one. If you have an answer to my question - please post a link.
  18. lilbabygiraffelegs

OP I don't seem to have your problem. Is your computer old?
  19. psioniq

Exactly what I'd like to know as well. Seems strange to me that a softwarehouse like SOE would not have engineers competent enough to write an authoritative server (though I admit - bandwidth could become an issue on this scale).

But CSHD in PS2 would almost be the same as cooldown timers in WoW using the client machine's clock to count down.
  20. Mietz

Q3A depends on weapon choice.
    I've played it extensively and unless you are using Railguns a TTK under 5 seconds is impossible on a full health/armored player.
    The TTK on Q3A is quite long, it only appears "short" because the movement is faster.

If you watch some vids on youtube you will see plenty situations where a player that is shot at has the time to retaliate as well as run away and recover to retaliate later. I've seen games between pros that went on for quite some time before one of them actually died.

Thats exactly the point, as long as he can sustain the advantage he wins.

So what is your suggestion?