there is not a single reason MAX's should be revivable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Mar 5, 2015.

1. JonboyX

A max is revived with effectively the same residual health pool as any other class. When you revive a heavy in nanoweave, they have 100% of their armour fixed in place. By your own argument, does reviving a player with their armour fully mended make sense?

Are maxes OP when played as a 1v1 skirmishing tool. Yes: absolutely. Do they have a low skill floor? Yes. Does the game have lots of other stupidly OP vehicles/weapons/classes? Yes. Would the single best way to balance a max be to make it unrevivable? No. Good players can still use maxes, and they simply will avoid dying while still farming you. If you want to balance maxes, I think a better way would be more armour, less foot speed and slower turning. Clunky and tough.
    • Up x 5
  2. MahouFairy

With a speed of more than 40km/h, i won't need dash. Um, no MBTs finish off infantry in 1 second or less.
  3. Haquim

Yeah, good luck with killing 1 guy per second as MBT.
    Really, I'd be fine with that, you get C4'd faster than a MAX and are less dangerous to me.

You might think Tanks are indomitable machines of doom - they are not.
    They are easier to destroy than harassers most of the time, and a medieval catapult has more firepower than that rock thrower tanks have equipped - although the catapults RoF sucks.
  4. Fleech

well they get ressed with full health and have to wait for the shield to regenerate. the actual armor doesn't seem to protect people in this universe. its just storm trooper armor. the thing that gives infantry higher TTK's in this game are the shield belts.
  5. MahouFairy

I'm talking about a direct hit with their main gun.
  6. Haquim

Sadly, so am I...
  7. MahouFairy

I don't know what tank you're using, or even what game you are playing but usually tank shells OHK people. They don't take 3 seconds to kill one guy. Heck, even an assault rifle doesn't take so long.
  8. DrPapaPenguin

It kind of makes sense because: it's an armored unit which you can't get out of and it takes damage from small arms fire. If the MAX acted as a vehicle we could enter and leave, I would agree 100%. It could then be repairable by the pilot, or at the very least the pilot would be able to ditch it and continue fighting. If it took no damage (or at least 1-2%) from small arms I would agree fully again, because it would actually have some longetivity.

As it is now however, you are paying for a unit with a cost equivalent of an MBT that offers a slight increase in AI firepower (outside of melee to very short range, where they are at the strongets) compared to standard infantry, and a substantial, if costly, increase in AV power. However, it cannot feasibly repair itself (I know it has nano armor regen, it's not viable in anything outside of 1v1 duels with vehicles at long range, provided the vehicle has no rapid fire secondary which can reset NAR, or an extremely low-pop battle), it dies to 2 rockets or 1 block of c4 (almost dies to c4 if it has flak at max level, sneeze at it and it dies afterwards (And I'm not sure how much damage AV grenades do now, but they stick to MAXes and they hurt like hell)) and can be focused down by small arms without any difficulty. So being revivable is the only way they can justify the cost behind being certed and fielded.
    • Up x 4
  9. Stigma

Sure that seems fair... and they of course wouldn't be able to go inside buildings right? I say do it.

-Stigma
  10. MrJengles

The spammability of MAX revives is horrendous and one of the reasons they're one of the worst balanced elements of gameplay.

Once Higby didn't have to filter his views he went ahead and admitted MAX balance in their current form is so terrible he regrets adding them to the game so early and they should've waited for better mechanics.

I can't say I'd mind if MAXes became unrevivable, maybe with more health and drop to 350 nanites like a Lightning.

That said, even if they are unrevivable people can still pull brand new MAXs. It might be enough simply to implement a nanite cost to revive them (~200 nanites). Either way the spam is reduced and players are punished for dying.

There are a host of design problems this wouldn't help with... but it's a start.
  11. 60rockstar

Haven't we had this discussion before?
    There are many reason's a MAX should be revivable.

And btw, the VS MAX is OP and needs a nerf.
    "on my very first run with the blueshifts i got a 36 kill streak at quartz ridge with zero prior knowledge of the playstyle. "
  12. Fleech

i dont disagree.

i think maxes in general are overpowered in hands of an average player but the VS maxes are particularly annoying to fight as infantry. maybe not as other maxes.
  13. MahouFairy

So are they vehicles or infantry? If they are vehicles, they can't be revived. If they are infantry, they can be revived. As simple as that. I don't understand why people come to this game when they knew they were going to face max and vehicles. Then they complain about ruining a good infantry fight.

Sorry but if you want to play a good infantry fight, try out counter strike. 90% of fps out there are all infantry fights.
  14. BlueSkies

You can hop out of your tank and not die with it, can't do that with a MAX
  15. KnightCole

Yeah, I thought PS1 had it where you could heal your health or your armor depending on having the right tool.

The more I think about it, the more I think PS1 with PS2 look and gun play woulda been beast. Gun play and lag is why I hate PS1 so damn much. BFRs are awesome, to bad we cant get them, I was finally given imprint on my old recovered acct haha.
  16. Haquim

... It is impressive how little understanding of tanks you have.
    Yes of course a tank shell kills infantery in one hit, unfortunately it also comes with the need to reload, since - with the exception of the prowler - tanks only have one shot per reload cycle. And that reload takes on average about 3 seconds.
    And I said killing 1 infantery per 3 seconds. I did not say killing one infantery IN 3 seconds.

And you are absolutely correct - an assault rifle is MORE dangerous than a MBT main gun, except maybe for HE if you have 4 guys cuddling in one m².
  17. MahouFairy

Nah, they are small enough. Unless BFRs anyone?