The Viper did not need a buff.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fortress, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ThreePi

I don't think the buff will be all that significant, but I didn't think there was necessarily anything wrong with the Viper in the first place. Overall I think the Lightning is in a good place, I actually have to put some thought into what I'm going to pull when I grab one.
  2. Fortress

I would accept the increased damage against light vehicles in exchange for the 2 shot to kill minimum, but not both.
  3. NinjaTurtle

I dismissed it too when I first started playing. Now it is my favourite Lightning weapon, it was fantastic before and I can't wait to see how it works now
  4. THUGGERNAUT

this patch handed out an awful lot of nerfs, and a couple buffs, that nobody ever asked for.
  5. Goden

So business as usual then
    • Up x 2
  6. longmachao

I agree with this! I used to think the viper was a terrible weapon but better players keep telling me otherwise. When i finally got around to mastering it, it was so god damn easy to farm infantry. So much so i don't even use magrider for anti-infantry role anymore. Heck, now i can even hit infantry with my magrider AP round with ease. I think the problem is vehicle get fix so fast that they can roll back into a fight immediately. Especially the lightning when it comes to pop out of cover and shoot tactic.
  7. Fortress

Hey, guess what? It's more OP than I could have possibly imagined when I made this thread.

One shots on everybody!
  8. Liquid23

If you are getting shot out of the sky by Viper equipped lightnings you have bigger issues to worry about
  9. NC_agent00kevin

Real Pros use Python AP and headshot scrubs.
    • Up x 1
  10. EliteEskimo

It balances out though because now infantry get no skill lock on launchers which lock on faster than ever before, and have Flak armor which can directly absorb a Prowler Shell or Halberd Anti-Tank rocket to the chest. Oh and the last time I checked the Lancer didn't get nerfed and can still be used from 500m+ away, meaning invisible/invincible infantry are still killing me, since it wasn't nerfed from what I saw.

I'm not saying that the Viper isn't very good now or that it's bad for farming, but considering infantry are in a much more OP state than the Viper Lightning you should be asking for nerfs to no skill infantry AV weapons first.
  11. hansgrosse

I do love the C75. Loved it since I first started playing last December, and the feeling hasn't faded.

From the information I can gather, it seems to me that the Viper was meant to be an all-around workhorse of a gun, neither excelling nor faltering against any single target type. To this end, I believe that the weapon was too good against infantry and not good enough against vehicles prior to PU2. Back then the C75 was essentially relegated to the infantry-killing role, which ran counter to the gun's intended role as a good generalist, and it made the Python HE redundant as it outperformed the thing in its own role.

Post-PU2 I think its buffed effectiveness versus armor has made it a little too good, and I do support the notion of its effectiveness versus infantry being brought down a peg. Ultimately, I believe the weapon should be made a passable option against both infantry AND vehicles without being made to excel in either role, and this is the direction in which I hope future adjustments to the weapon's stats go.
  12. Chipay

Then nothing has changed
  13. Pikachu

I just wish the damage against MBT had a higher percentage. :D
  14. RHYS4190

look I don't think the viper needs a nerf, vehicles have taken enough hits, Saron been gutted Vulcan and halberd been hit but still ok just DON"T MISS BRO.