New Esamir facility

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ican'taim, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ican'taim

1. Nothing to say
    2. Good riddance tbj. I've lost count on how many times I've lost an alert due to all the idots farming at TI.
    3. [removed]
    4. Pretty sure Oshur got cancelled a while back...but there are rumors from Wrel that a "new contenent is being worked on". Don't hold your breath though
    5. More base changes are coming to Chapter 3 along with the containment facilities.
    6. Agree, outfit wars is a bad idea at this stage. Grow a playerbase first, then get into competitive tourneys.
    Storm will be removed in Chapter 3.
  2. JibbaJabba

Sorry, you misread.

I said YOUR outfit sucks. Clearly. I think that's why you hate them so much. What's the benefit?

Mine? It does that thing I mentioned where we accomplish as a whole something we could not do as individuals.

In my outfit I get (among other things):
    • My own firelane.
    • My back covered on all the other ones.
    • A medic to rez me.
    • All the ammo I need.
    • A stream of enemy heads rolling through my crosshairs.
    It's my happy place. And I couldn't get there without my outfit.

Ah, but you asked about off hours....What does my outfit give me then?

A competent battle buddy or gunner rather than a rando if I want it. Or nothing at all if I don't....

That's the other bit you don't seem to get. Being in an outfit is not mutually exclusive to playing solo. You're allowed to do both.... well I am at least. You get to do one then be bitter with everyone about the other. haha
  3. MonnyMoony

Meh - should have left Esamir alone and blown up Hossin.
  4. JibbaJabba

You take that back. You take that back right now.
  5. DemonicTreerat

How about instead of shiny new buildings, putting that effort into making bases something worth fighting over?

Things like allowing builders, and the owning outfit, to fortify a base with extra structures and more/ better turrets. We all know which bases get avoided by "elites" and "the zerg" due to being meatgrinders - aka actually defensible. If any base had that potential it would go a long way to stopping steamrolls and adding more revenue as people gained an actual reason to try construction.

How about giving each base something that makes it worth fighting to the last man to hold or take.
    When I left tech plants had that effect by making it much easier to pull the big vehicles. So why can't other bases host (or be upgraged to host) artillery batteries or airfields that other players can request a strike from? Have some bases that allow the owning side to deploy limited short-lived drones and/or satellites that reveal all forces in an area. A search of these pages would probably turn up enoguh ideas for that sort of content to keep the devs gainfully employeed for years. To say nothing of keeping the players hooked by pulling in some of the best elements of other now-dead games that they miss.

Nah. Shiny new building = "Look at us! We're creative geniuses because we made content!" while cooperating with the players means having to share the credit. Its enough to make someone wonder if certain staff members here are related to Kander over in EQ2...
  6. MonnyMoony

Yeh, it would be good if different bases conferred different advantages to the holding faction. Might give a greater sense of importance in holding or taking them.

For example (and i'm just spitballing here)
    • Amp stations and solar plants give a slight boost to nanite generation
    • Biolabs confer health regeneration
    • Comms arrays/broadcast hubs give greater range on the mini map or allow lockon launchers to lockon a bit faster faster
    • Data/Physics labs confer faster regeneration of overshields
    • Firing ranges/barracks confer an extra clip of ammo or the ability to carry an extra nade
    • Hydroponics/research labs confer slightly increase sprint speeds
    Each instance of a type of base you hold stacks the advantages - so holding two amp stations would confer double the advantage (or perhaps a bit less than double - to prevent it becoming OP). Stacking like this would also give an imperative for defenders to defend facilities to prevent attackers stacking the advantages too much.
    • Up x 1
  7. JustGotSuspended

As exiting as the new mega facility might be for some people, (I really hope to be impressed in a good way by it), it doesn't seem like very good idea, at least not something I would prioritize. To no surprise, this seems like reused material, at least to some extent. They had already designed this sort of mega amp station when they released Hossin. It was a long time ago, I can't remember what it was called or exactly how it looked because I only saw one pic and it never went live - but it seems from what I recall to be very close to what the devs are creating with this new mega base.

Main issue it never made it to live on Hossin was due to performance. Too much stuff to render, and that wasn't even taking players into account. Performance already struggles a lot with animations such as orbitals, and in large fights. I can't count how many times the server crashed or spiked because of a massive fight in a biolab or T.I. or the crown. Now the devs want to add a mega base with more animations, the possibility for more players, infantry and vehicles to fight in the same hex. Don't get me wrong, it sounds cool, I hope it is, and I really want it to work. But I gotta admit I'm super skeptical, and it does seem like another repeat of the dev's old mistakes.

Also interesting it the fact that conceptually, this base is just another biolab or a larger subterranean nanite analysis. Thank goodness, because that's what most the community wants, and not empty construction placeholder hexes. But again, it just seems a bit backwards to remove these bases because people are having fun and farming stalemates, only to add a mega farming stalemate base. A case of fixing what didn't need to be fixed, and I must admit I feel the dev's priorities could have been redirected elsewhere. I also don't feel it's a good idea to delay the campaign because of that base, unless they intend to make it part of the campaign missions. If that's the case, I must place an F in the chat for the average players who will try to do their campaign, while super sweaty 5+ kdr players are farming them. And it only adds to the masses of players and mechanics in that base to slow performance.

I'm curious to see what they've done to deal with the performance issues, and if the base is actually going to be fun to fight at - both with low and high pop. Because keep in mind, there's fewer and fewer players playing every day, and during off hours I really hope this base is either cut off or has some sort of failsafe so it's not a boring/annoying cat and mouse chase around a huge area.
  8. JustGotSuspended

It was like that before, I don't quite understand why the gave all the benefits to outfits, instead of the entire faction. Flawed thinking imo.
  9. Blue_Lion

Dragon lance gnome logic.
    It ain't broken fix it, tweek it tear it apart.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

nah i rather would have amerish been nuked ..... or at least a good part of its unpathable mountains
    • Up x 1
  11. Demigan

It's always nice to see people go "No one likes Biolabs! That's why I keep losing alerts, because everyone is at Biolab fights!".

Or to see them rant about the "strategy" of the hex-system when all that it did was create giant zergballs that actively avoided each other unless they happened to meet at a large facility or the nigh unstoppable ghost cappers that just hopped around and made people waste time doing nothing but flip things back or wait around to see if the ghost capper had left or stayed to flip it again.
    • Up x 2